7.30 ACT on the ABC
Friday June 13th
- BIZ BOOM – The Canberra Innovation Network has been set up to foster ideas and turn them into medium to large business concerns. They hope to absorb some of the thousands of retrenched public servants.
- Four companies are profiled in this report – for example, from an idea generated at ANU over a decade ago, a local company has developed Seeing Machines for mining trucks. Annual turnover is 20 million – and with deals being done in China – profits could soon be closer to 120 million.
- HOME TRUTHS – ACT Opposition leader Jeremy Hanson – copped a bucketing from former Senator, Gary Humphries for not speaking up for Canberra. Chris Kimball visited him at home to get his take on the local budget, light rail, and the Federal Budget impacts on the region.
- BETH AND HER BUGS – Dr Beth Mantle has the biggest  Australian bug collection in the world, she is head of the CSIRO’S National Insect Collection – beautifully produced and shot by cameraman Greg Nelson.
- THE OK CHORALE – The choir at the University of Canberra which lets anyone join, even the tone deaf.
This weeks photo is by artist/photographer Margaret Kalms. It is called called Museum and Moon Reflections.