A real Apple store for Canberra?

By 24 March 2012 61

Seek is indicating that a genuin Apple Pty Ltd store is coming to Canberra.

Apple Retail Genius – New Store Opening – Canberra
– Tired of being trapped behind your desk? A technical support role with Apple will have you feeling inspired again!
– You’ll be surrounded by an amazing group of people & let’s not forget products!
– Be truly supported and offered continuous career development to see you grow, the sky’s the limit!

Anyone know where?

(Thanks to Mogwai for the tip)

Please login to post your comments
61 Responses to A real Apple store for Canberra?
#31
Holden Caulfield9:20 pm, 06 May 12

Fliponout said :

Yes Apple is Opening a APPLE STORE – (NOT A MAC1)
The Apple Store will be open in July / August in Garema Place in the city Next Sizzle Bento were the music shop use to be…

Canberra finely becoming a Real City that big business will come to ?

Hmm, Garema Place, that could be interesting. You would think Apple would want to be in the Canberra Centre.

Where did you get that info?

#32
johnboy9:23 pm, 06 May 12

The very expensive fitout has been underway for a month, big cranes dropping heavy things into the building.

#33
Sandman10:13 pm, 06 May 12

My sister went to JB all excited about getting a new iPad and made the rookie mistake of telling the salesman that she didn’t really know much about all this stuff. Naturally, she got stitched up with a 2 year contract at $30 a month for 1gb of data, paid full price for a 64gig 4g ipad3 plus $150 for an extended warranty. They also neglected to tell her that roaming overseas ( a main reason for buying it) would be so expensive to be basically not worth doing.

I know, my yarn has bugger all to do with the topic but if it keeps a few people out of JB then it was worth typing. Currently typing this on my new Ipad2 bought last week from Big W of all places. Not only were they the only place with foresight to order enough units to satisfy demand but they were $30 or $40 cheaper than anywhere else except Dick Smith. Got mum one for Mothers day too. The staff at Big W are no Genius’ but if you know what you want they’ll give you the easiest and cheapest buying experience. No hipsters there either.

#34
Holden Caulfield10:42 pm, 06 May 12

johnboy said :

Thanks. Clearly, I need to get out more!

That should breathe some much needed (weekend) life into the non-Canberra Centre parts of Civic then.

The impact on Mac 1′s existing store will be worth monitoring too I suspect.

#35
Madam Cholet9:09 am, 07 May 12

…..she got stitched up with a 2 year contract at $30 a month for 1gb of data, paid full price for a 64gig 4g ipad3 plus $150 for an extended warranty.

With all respect to your unsuspecting sister, when will people realise that the extended warranties are a waste of the paper they are written on – ask Fair Trading .A product should not turn up ot’s toes even in the extended warranty period. Or rather, when will retailers stop trying to rip us off with this? $150 for doing nothing – and they complain that customers are deserting them!!

I have found Fair Trading (if that’s what they still call themselves), to be very helpful when getting no action from a retailer who sold us a dud DVD player. Anyone coming agains a stone wall in these situations should immediately roll out the “I’ll contact Fair Trading to see what my rights” are line.

#36
dtc9:43 am, 07 May 12

Madam Cholet said :

dtc said :

#37
Madam Cholet10:29 am, 07 May 12

“dtc said :”

“Well, they can be useful at times. Fair Trading/consumer legislation is to ensure your product is in good condition when you buy it and lasts for as long as you would reasonably expect something of that type to last. An extended warranty past that period is useful. “

“However, a warranty that applies only for the period you would reasonably expect something to last doesnt give you any additional rights, it might make a claim easier.”

“Also, family members who wander around saying ‘you got ripped off you are so naive’ are great at Christmas lunch”

This from the ACT Office of Regulatory Services:

When asked to buy an extended warranty, ask what it would provide over and above your rights under the consumer guarantees. For example – A consumer buys a plasma television for $6,000.00. It stops working two years later. The supplier tells the consumer they have no rights to repairs or other remedy as the television was only under the manufacturer’s warranty for 12 months. The supplier says the consumer should have bought an extended warranty, which would have given 5 years cover.

A reasonable consumer would expect more than two years use from a television costing $6,000.00. Under the consumer guarantees, the consumer has a legal right to a remedy as the television is not of acceptable quality. The supplier may also have misled the consumer about their rights.

#38
Myles Peterson11:26 am, 07 May 12

“The very expensive fitout has been underway for a month…”

And we all know who’ll be paying for it.

Silly, silly sheeples.

#39
davo10111:34 am, 07 May 12

Myles Peterson said :

“The very expensive fitout has been underway for a month…”

And we all know who’ll be paying for it.

Silly, silly sheeples.

In our household it’s known as “Apple Tax”.

#40
garglebutt8:56 pm, 14 Jun 12

In our house it’s known as paying up front rather than valuing my time at $0 per hour maintaining a Windows laptop.

#41
Lazy I10:57 pm, 14 Jun 12

garglebutt said :

I find it funny that the people most vocal against owning Apple products have rarely (if at all) used/owned one themselves. I still constantly get jibes about single button mouse etc when I pull my laptop out at a client site, but every contractor I see on site now is carrying a Mac too.

The people who are running Macs now have no doubt run a Windows desktop/laptop so know what the alternative is. If for whatever reason they need to run Windows, Bootcamp is there out of the box (or VMWare Fusion). I have run OSX and Windows 95/98/2000/XP/7, for extended periods of time (and ran Linux exclusively for 3+ years for all the l33t hax0rs that want to one up me).. and I use OSX now and wouldn’t change if you paid me.

Ever since I started refusing to support family and friends if they ran Windows I have clawed my weekends back. I have converted 5+ family/friends to Mac from PC (during the Vista period it wasn’t difficult), and after a few initial questions to get up and running I don’t hear from them again.

With the addition of a real Apple store in Canberra I can direct everyone there for support if any questions do come up (no matter how trivial or complex).

As for MAC1.. it’s great to see their time is finally up.

#42
Mysteryman10:38 am, 15 Jun 12

Great. Now we can all judge people even more based on where they shop.

#43
Eppo10:39 am, 15 Jun 12

Lazy I said :

garglebutt said :

Yep, they’re great for technological dunces and the image conscious.

Gamers and people who know what they’re doing are much better off on something windows based.

#44
Mysteryman10:44 am, 15 Jun 12

I’m also going to mention that I have to use a Mac Pro at work and I don’t like it. I would never buy one with my own money.

#45
Postalgeek11:03 am, 15 Jun 12

Eppo said :

Lazy I said :

garglebutt said :

Yep, they’re great for technological dunces and the image conscious.

You’re so cool because you use a particular OS system for something useless like games.

#46
rosscoact11:18 am, 15 Jun 12

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

#47
VYBerlinaV8_is_back11:36 am, 15 Jun 12

rosscoact said :

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

+1. It’s akin the old Ford versus Holden thing.

#48
c_c11:57 am, 15 Jun 12

Mysteryman said :

What do you mean you don’t like it?

It’s a tower with hard drives, a pair of CPUs, some ram and a DVD burner. It’s an effing computer (a very powerful one)

You surely mean you don’t like Mac OS, the actual think you interact with on the screen.

#49
p112:01 pm, 15 Jun 12

I am reading this on a first gen iPad that we’ve had for a couple of years. It is an amazing bit of technology and I really like it. I certainly have not seen or used a tablet which I would consider either better, or better value for money. I also have an iPhone, and while it is certainly a step up in technology from my previous semi-smart Nokia, it really isn’t any better when it comes to usability (things that work really well are cancelled out by the things you just plain can’t do, and after one year it is getting slow to respond and crashes a bit).

There are some pretty frustrating things that Apple have done with their products, quite deliberately, and thus, in my mind, have earned all the hate they receive and more.

For the record, I also hate Microsoft, IBM, and Nestle, but am somewhat ambivalent about Sony and Boeing.

#50
Mysteryman12:16 pm, 15 Jun 12

c_c said :

Mysteryman said :

What do you mean you don’t like it?

Considering that Mac hardware is sold with MacOS installed, it shouldn’t need to be said that in using the words “Mac Pro” I meant the OS as well.

But, if you really want to be picky, I think the hardware alone is very overpriced.

#51
Holden Caulfield12:54 pm, 15 Jun 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

rosscoact said :

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

+1. It’s akin the old Ford versus Holden thing.

Ford Prefect sucks. I’m much better.

#52
VYBerlinaV8_is_back12:59 pm, 15 Jun 12

Holden Caulfield said :

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

rosscoact said :

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

+1. It’s akin the old Ford versus Holden thing.

Ford Prefect sucks. I’m much better.

I don’t remember the Caulfield. Did it have the 138 grey motor?

#53
DrKoresh1:03 pm, 15 Jun 12

Holden Caulfield said :

Ford Prefect sucks. I’m much better.

That offends me, sir! We must settle this with a game of Brockian Ultra Cricket.

#54
Stevian1:04 pm, 15 Jun 12

Eppo said :

And the rest of us who are through playing games will use a system that actually works

#55
Holden Caulfield1:17 pm, 15 Jun 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

Holden Caulfield said :

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

rosscoact said :

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

+1. It’s akin the old Ford versus Holden thing.

Ford Prefect sucks. I’m much better.

I don’t remember the Caulfield. Did it have the 138 grey motor?

I can’t recall that being specified in the manual. It was quite a good seller, so you can probably pick yourself up a copy on eBay or the like and check it for yourself.

#56
Primal1:39 pm, 15 Jun 12

Postalgeek said :

you use a particular OS system for something useless like games.

Heyyyyyy, I resemble that comment!!!

#57
VYBerlinaV8_is_back2:13 pm, 15 Jun 12

Holden Caulfield said :

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

Holden Caulfield said :

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

rosscoact said :

LOL, a Mac versus PC argument, enough said

+1. It’s akin the old Ford versus Holden thing.

Ford Prefect sucks. I’m much better.

I don’t remember the Caulfield. Did it have the 138 grey motor?

Thanks. Always good to converse with a fellow Holden.

#58
Dagget662:37 pm, 15 Jun 12

Ben_Dover said :

My god! A genuine Apple Store, what, here in Canberra? Anyone would think we were a capital city or something.

lol, we won’t be a capital city until we have a Nespesso shop …

#59
Dagget662:38 pm, 15 Jun 12

Dagget66 said :

Ben_Dover said :

lol, we won’t be a capital city until we have a Nespesso shop …

Oops … Nespresso …

#60
MangaGal9:01 pm, 04 Sep 12

Did anyone answer your question?
The Apple Store will be opening in the Canberra Centre. From the direction they published on their website, I think it’s just around Boost Juice. I suspect it’s the old “Esprit” store. I haven’t been around that part for some time now. If I’m mistaken feel free to correct.

I’ll be taking my laptop there on the opening day (8 September @ 10AM) as I’ve got some “issue” with my iLife after upgrade to Mountain Lion. I just need more advice before I do anything. I don’t want to lose years of photos I’ve stored in there. =)

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.