Binge Drinking in Civic – What can be done?

By 25 March, 2012 51

Saturday night (March 24, 2012) a group of friends went out for dinner in civic. Now, I live on the south side  so this would be one of the first times going out for dinner and a little karaoke in Civic – but I was pretty excited to visit the “northside” after dark.

After a great evening of dinner and karoake, we left the karaoke bar and to my utter shock and disbelief, I entered into a whole new world…. I saw (in completely unrelated incidents):

- people getting pushed into police cars

- people lying on the cold cement, lying motionless with blood everywhere

- Hundreds of drunk teens falling over themselves

- girls wearing next to nothing.

- cops everywhere!

I was honestly scared for my life….so I found the next available taxi and went home.

Now I don’t have the answers… but I honestly think there needs to be a cultural shift to curb binge drinking amongst uni students…. but where do you begin?

Please login to post your comments
51 Responses to Binge Drinking in Civic – What can be done?
#31
Duffbowl12:35 pm, 26 Mar 12

EvanJames said :

I dunno, it does sound like things have got more violent and over the top than in the 80s and early 90s, when I used to attend Civic for the purposes of getting drunk. Then, there were plenty of drunken folk sitting around outside or staggering back to their cars, but all the fighting etc, I don’t recall that. Vomiting happened later in the morning, I think, as you’d see it the next morning. Maybe the vomiters were more discreet.

Certainly cops everywhere and people lying in pools of blood, never saw that. The odd cop yes, but it wasn’t the war zone described above.

I’ll concur with that. I can’t recall the sidewalk blues that seem to have become a regular attraction. Nor was there large numbers of plod out and about; when they did make an appearance, it was usually to check if you had meant to fall asleep in one of the bus shelters at the interchange.

#32
EvanJames1:09 pm, 26 Mar 12

Duffbowl said :

Yeah, you hear of guys getting king-hit from behind and people just starting fights, I don’t recall any of that. Sometimes while clumping back to car you’d pass alleys where it appeared that the War Wogs were fighting pitched battles with some rival mob, but they kept it within themselves.

#33
00davist1:12 pm, 26 Mar 12

I think some of the problem actually comes down to liquor pricing designed to try and curb issues like this.

As far as i know, there have always been plenty of people who want to go out on a Saturday night with the aim of downing as much as they can, it’s not an new craze, and there has always been a few brawls, and rowdy behavior.

However, a few things have changed in my eyes, one, is clubs, where people originally went out, got pissed, played a bit of pool, and danced etc, now it’s all packed in tight, sweaty, sticky, dirty and to be honest, awful, so may people want to go further, as it’s not a scene for the sober.

Second, the mindset seems to have shifted slightly, while there have always been those who go out to get drunk, it seems more that people don’t want to get just drunk, they want to get blind raging out of it.

And finally, when you mix those with the increased price in booze, it becomes less about aiming for drunk, and more about just aiming for ‘F*cked up’ I can’t count how many people I’ve overheard say “Why spend $200 on booze to get off your face, when you can spend a hell of allot less on a couple of pills”

I am in no way condoning drugs here, it just seems that the element of society only interested in loosing control are also thrifty about doing it!

#34
Bluey1:29 pm, 26 Mar 12

Young people bahving debaucherously on a weekend night in Civic.

More news at 7.

Nothing to see here.

#35
littlevixen1:36 pm, 26 Mar 12

Duffbowl said :

… I think the only night of the week where you couldn’t get cheap drinks in Civic, Manuka or Kingston was Mondays….

Monday nights = Bobby McGee’s hospitality nights.

Friday nights were also cheap drinks at either Tuggies (at the ‘disco’) or Sails (at was then).

#36
schmeah1:37 pm, 26 Mar 12

Micky_P said :

I hate to disagree with your conclusions – but, as a 20 year old uni student I feel somewhat compelled to shed some light on your claims

Most of your students go out on Thursday night, if your uni student is able to afford the booze on a Saturday night I’d be investigating their Centrelink payments.

I beg to differ. When I was a uni student, youth allowance was about $180/fortnight for those living at home – which I did in my last year. Irrespective of this menial amount of mulah, I was always ALWAYS able to afford to drink; I just drank cheap, lived off microwave noodles and the local soupie.

Is it the uni students causing problems? Probably not I’d argue.

#37
Canberragal1236:20 pm, 26 Mar 12

Alright – point taken that they were not uni students…sorry for that generalisation.I made that call due to the sheer numbers of people and based on the fact that when I went to uni (not so long ago -2000 to 2004 the uni students ruled the clubs from Wed – sun included. Not sure who is ruling the clubs now a days. Back when I went to uni people went to clubs to have fun with their friends and get drunk…and hey I am all for it!! I think it has gotten a little out of hand with the violence.

And in regard to what the girls the girls were wearing, back in the day, your outfit was decided by the nice shirt that you chose and your nice pair of jeans.

Look, I am just calling it as I see it. I urge you all to go out on Saturday night at 1am to see for yourself. Maybe all the violence was an irregular occurrence

#38
Tetranitrate7:34 pm, 26 Mar 12

murraythecat said :

milkman said :

Tetranitrate said :

“- girls wearing next to nothing.”
Oh the horror…

I, for one, strongly encourage the ‘less is more’ approach to female clothing.

Does that extend to your own daughters/wife/mother/aunties? I’m sure you encourage “show us ya tits” at summernats as well, um, until that is, it is directed to someone in your own family.

Never been to summernats so I wouldn’t know, but young women have been wearing relatively revealing evening-wear on and off (as fashion changed) for about 90 years now.
(thinking ‘little black dress’es in the 1920s here)

#39
cantdance9:16 pm, 26 Mar 12

So that’s what happens in Civic at night? Lived in Canberra for 4 years, never been to Civic after dark. I value my sanity.

#40
c_c9:25 pm, 26 Mar 12

schmeah said :

Ah, what it is to be young and stupid. To be so misguided that you “live” off cheap food so you have money left over to blow on cheap goon.

Why even drink cheap, does the cheap stuff taste any good?

#41
Bramina9:37 pm, 26 Mar 12

00davist said :

On one hand I suspect the violence is related to the drinking levels. As the Queensland police Commissioner said once, he wished that people would take ecstasy because people wouldn’t be so violent.

But I also suspect that people make imperfect comparisons with the past somehow. I know lots of middle aged and older people who have told horrific stories about their drinking and about violence back in the 70s and 80s beforehand. Yet they for some reason they can’t make the connection between this and when they hear about things that go on today.

#42
murraythecat10:14 pm, 26 Mar 12

Tetranitrate said :

murraythecat said :

milkman said :

Tetranitrate said :

“- girls wearing next to nothing.”
Oh the horror…

I, for one, strongly encourage the ‘less is more’ approach to female clothing.

(thinking ‘little black dress’es in the 1920s here)

True, & i have no probs with that. I do have a problem with the predatory nature of milkman’s comments, and with the hypocrisy that this only applies to women who these guys are not related to, pretty sure they would not like that sort of attention directed at their own daughters.

#43
TheDancingDjinn10:37 pm, 26 Mar 12

The Person you could have walked by bleeding might have possibly been a good friend of mine, who i have just found out was beaten and robbed very very badly in Civic this weekend – my friend who was assulted is one of the most gentle people you would ever find alive, never thrown a punch unless it was in a boxing wii game. He is in hospital at the moment and will be there for some time, he has massive injuries including facial breaks and head injuries, – i hope who ever it was gets it back or at least gets some legal justice. That being said – Where did you go to karaoke???, i love karaoke!!

#44
Tetranitrate11:54 pm, 26 Mar 12

Bramina said :

Yeah well unfortunately the supply chain for ecstasy is relatively easy to disrupt and the police (here and abroad) have been relatively successful in doing it over the years. Shame the they aren’t so good at doing it for Methamphetamine.
Now the same people who might have been taking ecstasy in the 90s are taking methamphetamine and all sorts of assortments of pills containing f*ck knows what.

Utter failure of policy, it’s be better to selectively decriminalize or hell, outright legalize the less harmful drugs while still cracking down hard on Cocaine, Heroin, Amphetamines and the like to take advantage of substitution among the consumers.

Bramina said :

Yeah, don’t forget drink driving there too: it was utterly rampant.

#45
Anthos_Hero8:33 am, 27 Mar 12

I love it how some people think that because they live on the “southside” that some how that separates them from the rest of Canberra and they see travelling to the CBD as something exotic. Having lived both North and South myself, I don’t get it. Canberra’s a really small city. Southside, Northside? What’s really the difference besides physical distance?

#46
PoQ9:12 am, 27 Mar 12

Or you could go to my local park in Queanbeyan, where I saw people doing this in the middle of the day, and the cops didn’t turn up until the perps had nicked off in their commodore (brown) and a hotted up “rice rocket”.

People not like us. They should be banned.

#47
mouldy9:13 am, 27 Mar 12

I’m assuming you stopped to render assistance to those “people lying on the cold cement, lying motionless with blood everywhere”. Nothing like a bit of over dramatisation!

#48
Skidd Marx2:47 pm, 27 Mar 12

Maybe this account is a tad exagerrated, but I agree with the sentiment that civic is an alcohol-induced wasteland early on a Sunday morning. Name one place in Europe (UK excepted) where you’d see this kind of loutish behaviour?

#49
johnboy2:48 pm, 27 Mar 12

The wasted seed of the bulldog breed.

#50
Erg02:57 pm, 27 Mar 12

Skidd Marx said :

Why oh why can’t we be more like the Netherlands?

#51
ShongRiChee3:19 pm, 27 Mar 12

That’s why I love to go the Charnwood Labor Club on a weekend – all the old dears having a bet, lots of locals to talk to, everyone is polite to each other, the bar staff have been there for years which shows that it’s a nice, decent place to work. None of the stuff that’s going on in Civic!

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Halloween in Australia?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.