Canberra Air Disaster

By 9 April 2012 59

On the 8th of April 2012, myself along with a small group of friends headed up to the Canberra Air Disaster Memorial we wanted to see if we saw any paranormal activity. We arrived at roughly 9pm at night, there were two other NSW P plater cars at the gate, discussing whether we would go through the gate or go home.

One person from the NSW cars recognised me from school and told us that it would be a 90 minute walk to the site. They left shortly after.

Two of our party stayed back at our cars because they were superstitious, we arrived at the memorial site after walking for 25-30 minutes and taking a wrong turn at the fork in the road, heading into the bush (we quickly realised that it was not right and retracted our steps) arriving at the memorial site we looked around and headed back unsatisfied, the two girls rang us on a mobile phone to tell us that a security guard had arrived and wanted to speak to us.  Walking along the road next to the paintball center, looking at the meche fence, there were lots of cuts in it as if people were trying to cut through it, and at the beginning of the road, 50m from the main gate, there was a hole cut through the fence. None of these were from us.

We walked back to the cars  and were told to stand against one car by a security guard with a German Shepard, he then asked us if we knew that we were trespassing on Government land, this was the first any of us had heard about it belonging to anyone. He threatened to call the police to charge us with trespassing.

Speaking up, i asked who it belonged to. The security guard shun his torch in my eyes and told me that it now belonged to the Australian Army and had for quite some time. He continued to ask us for our details and who owned the cars to hand over to the police  in case of any report of vandalism. He told us that this was our only warning and if he saw us again we would be arrested and charged. Curious, i asked how long he would keep our details in his phone, he told me that he would keep them for a long time.

I told him that there are no signs stating that this land belongs to anyone, and another member of my group stated that it was not stated on any website on the internet. The security guard could not explain why they had not been updated. I apologised on behalf of myself and my friends for trespassing that we did not know that it belonged to the government, that he could be sure that he would never see any of us again and that we would pass on this information to anyone who spoke of heading up to the memorial site to see the paranormal activity. The security guard told us to leave and that he was now going to check for damages.

Please login to post your comments
59 Responses to Canberra Air Disaster
#31
Thumper5:16 pm, 09 Apr 12

c_c said :

6matt9 said :

It is a memorial! People are allowed to go there.

You do realise many memorials in Australian cities are closed after hours. And those that aren’t are frequent targets for vandals. Even some that close still get vandalised like the War Memorial in Melbourne.

Put it this way, would you break the lock on the AWM after hours to get a look?

All you need to do is climb through the fence to get to the ADM. It’s there to stop vehicles, not pedestrians.

Just thought I’d point this out.

#32
BenMac5:42 pm, 09 Apr 12

Was this the entrance with the locked gate?

If so, those signs (behind the fire danger one) state that it is defence land and restricted.

#33
Ko.6:23 pm, 09 Apr 12
#34
steele_blade6:58 pm, 09 Apr 12

I would look a little further than the security company, though. I hardly think the Australian Army would be happy with a security guard (or someone dressed as one) pretending to represent them. Surely if it’s army property the army can keep it secure; why would they be using a civil security company?

This is completely wrong. A lot of defence assets are secured by private companies. You will often see a van with dog kennel patrolling ADFA and Duntroon. TNT used to man the gate at our biggest Naval dockyard, not naval police.

#35
c_c7:10 pm, 09 Apr 12

steele_blade said :

Did you not see news stories just weeks ago about armed AFP taking over security at Holsworthy?

Did you not see the many stories over the past 3 years about how Australian military bases use unarmed, private security, in light of the plot against Holsworthy?

This was all literally front page news.

#36
GardeningGirl7:59 pm, 09 Apr 12

Muttsybignuts said :

So a bunch of kids head out to the Air disaster memorial to see if they can see some ghosts. Half of Canberra did it in their teenage years. A wanker security guard gets off on harassing the kids because he can.

I guess I was in the other half.
I honestly don’t know if the poster and her friends were just out for some juvenile but harmless silliness and the guard overreacted or if the poster and her friends were displaying potential for trouble and the guard did exactly what he is paid to do, but I think it is sad that having read one side of the story there are people who have made up their minds to be outraged. Like I said, in this case I honestly don’t know, but in general I’m glad there are guards keeping an eye on things in a location where a thoughtlessly abandoned camp fire could cause a bushfire or where some joker with a laser could interfere with airport operations. If people remembered where to draw the line with their fun so it doesn’t cause problems for other people perhaps our community wouldn’t be so full of guards and locks and cctv’s and so on.

#37
Gerry-Built9:10 pm, 09 Apr 12

c_c said :

Did you not see the same stories confirm that private security would remain in place for bases until threat assessments suggested AFP should take over and provide armed protection?.

Stop grasping at straws. Where the OP indicated they walked (“Walking along the road next to the paintball center, looking at the meche fence”) is in the forest, which is public land (see TAMS website). Not the paint ball lease (fenced off with ~12ft fencing and hessian), not the speedway(with steep berms to climb) and not the Army training grounds (fenced off with ~10ft chain fencing – and clearly marked). The security officer was clearly over-stepping his mark. Being seen there as a physical presence/deterrent would have been perfectly adequate. Also – the “fence” for the forest is low, easily cleared and from memory, the gate is a step-through gate for easy walking access.

That being said – clearly the signage for the start point and walk could be more clearly marked (especially with commercially and militarily significant locations literally next door). The ADM is a little difficult to find with some of the recent changes to the tracks out there. I have gone out there very late at night/early morning on occasion to do some night photography, and often bump into other walkers. The whole area has an eerie quality (though I ain’t afraid of no ghosts).

I don’t think anybody has the right to suspect these kids of being up to anything more than what was stated. A bunch of 17/18YO are not young kids, and 9pm is hardly an inappropriate time to be out for someone of that age. Not every young person is a miscreant, and there are enough who are real trouble to keep legitimate law-keepers busy enough…

#38
milkman7:42 am, 10 Apr 12

The best way to deal with over-excited security guards is to ignore them, then if they get into your face advise them that you will be calling the police and pressing charges if they touch you.

#39
colourful sydney rac8:29 am, 10 Apr 12

I call shenanigans. Why would a security guard be there?

#40
johnboy8:30 am, 10 Apr 12

paintball fields have security problems you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy!

#41
colourful sydney rac8:31 am, 10 Apr 12

johnboy said :

paintball fields have security problems you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy!

Accusation of shenanigans cheerfully withdrawn.

#42
Thumper8:45 am, 10 Apr 12

This was all literally front page news.

I’m not really sure what your point is but, man, give up now.

#43
Captain RAAF8:46 am, 10 Apr 12

Ok, how many peeps would like me to head out there and park my car at the entrance to the gate at around 9pm, and just stand by the gate and await the security guard. I’ll have my video camera and ‘other items’ (not weapons or illegal) for if he gets uppity with me.

JB, will you post the video for all to see?

#44
Thumper9:02 am, 10 Apr 12

Captain RAAF said :

JB, will you post the video for all to see?

#45
PBO9:37 am, 10 Apr 12

That area is pretty much surrounded by Defence type establishments/areas and the Army have exercises running regularly around there and there is also the “training area that does not exist” in that vicinity which would have armed/dogged guards patrolling it on a regular basis.

So he was well within his rights to stop and question you as you would seem very suspicious as there is no realistic need for you to be there at night.

#46
Captain RAAF11:12 am, 10 Apr 12

PBO said :

lol, that’s hilarious!

#47
p111:30 am, 10 Apr 12

PBO said :

Hmmm, I’ve only seen the training areas that do exist. What does the one that doesn’t exist look like?

#48
Postalgeek11:36 am, 10 Apr 12

Thumper said :

Captain RAAF said :

JB, will you post the video for all to see?

+2 Always up for entertainment at other people’s expense.

#49
Gismondo11:42 am, 10 Apr 12

“arriving at the memorial site we looked around and headed back unsatisfied”

I’m disapointed at this seemingly relaxed attitude to searching for paranormal activity. Did anyone break out a ouija board or the like? Next time take Lawrence Leung and get the job done properly

#50
PBO11:44 am, 10 Apr 12

p1 said :

PBO said :

Couldnt say, there was a guard blocking my view saying that there is nothing to see here.

However, isnt it behind the transport industries skills centre? It has been discussed on this site before.

#51
Thumper11:51 am, 10 Apr 12

p1 said :

PBO said :

It’s where they keep the black helicopters.

But don’t tell anyone.

#52
TheDancingDjinn12:05 pm, 10 Apr 12

I don’t know about anyone else, but i remember there being a huge no trespassing sign on that gate that closed off ADM – unless some punks stole it of course. Its a plae known for people getting up to no good, and for people getting hurt, they don’t allow people up there at night becasue they don’t want to have to pay you when your stupid ass hurts yourself in the dark becasue a noise scared you.
I’ve lost a friend up there many years ago – bad driving and stupid teenage boys looking for ghosts and when they couldn’t find them, they got bored and did something very stupid and killed our friend. It’s becasue of dickheads like this who make it so the government has to hire security to tell you to bugger off, he was doing his job, you are not supposed to be up there during the night.

#53
TheDancingDjinn12:08 pm, 10 Apr 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

All of you saying the kids had a right to be there? your the ones who scream about your tax dollars being wasted on “public art” – want it going into the pockets of these kids becasue they chose to be stupid and go play in a pitch black forrest at night in the middle of nowhere, when SES has to come help them, or have to search them, or when mum and dad sue to get compo for baby’s injuries. – how bad will you scream then?

#54
BelcoMan12:10 pm, 10 Apr 12

Could be an AFP “Trainig Village” out there too?

#55
p112:14 pm, 10 Apr 12

Thumper said :

p1 said :

PBO said :

….and there is also the “training area that does not exist” in that vicinity….

It’s where they keep the black helicopters.

But don’t tell anyone.

Ahhh, righto then, jolly good [...taps side of nose and winks knowingly....]

#56
Padoof6:39 pm, 10 Apr 12

Now this brings back memories….surviving Air Disaster at night was a big thing when I was about 17, a good few years ago…let’s just say over 20 years.

You could drive right up to the memorial, get completely freaked out by seeing lights through the trees when there shouldn’t have been lights in the trees, then the race was on to see who could leave the fastest whilst screaming the loudest.

Yep, nothing like the good ol’ days. Fancy kids these days wanting some good ol’ fashioned country fun in the city!

#57
Thumper6:59 pm, 10 Apr 12

Padoof said :

Yes, about 20 or so years ago my friends and I were doing the same. Fantastic place to take chicks as it was downright spooky.

Ah, good days and memories :)

#58
Gerry-Built9:24 am, 11 Apr 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

quick!!! Break open the cotton wool!!! What, exactly is your point? That ‘kids’ shouldn’t be allowed out at night; in case they get into trouble and require SES rescue? Yes… Walking in a small forest at night CAN be THAT dangerous… Huh? Wha…?

#59
aceofspades10:12 am, 11 Apr 12

TheDancingDjinn said :

Well I heard that once apon a time a friend of my cousin twice removed uncles step sister once had a hairdresser who said that her sister had a friend that was killed crossing the road so I think we should outlaw that also.

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.