One of the unofficial and oft-quoted strengths of Canberra is that it has pot, pr0n and fireworks. I’m not sure how long this idea has been out there (since the liberation brought about by self government, perhaps?) but it seems a bit redundant in 2009.
The internet appears to have eroded any great advantage that Canberra once had in adult entertainment, although the Fyshwick vendors of NVE and latex are still worth a visit, if just for a laugh. And the increasingly onerous restrictions on fireworks have blown some of the fun out of the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend.
But what about marijuana? Does Canberra have the edge over any other part of Australia when it comes to partaking in the ‘erb? That is, if you can be bothered dragging your inertia-bound lardy arse away from Guitarhero and DVDs of the Mighty Boosh and actually doing something.
Fortunately Canberra’s drug laws still maintain a degree of sensibility:
- AFP officers have the discretion to issue a Simple Cannabis Offence Notice for possession of up to 25gms of dried cannabis, or two cannabis plants (excluding all hydroponically or artificially cultivated cannabis plants) for personal use only
If you can find it and don’t have a Cypress Hill-esque tolerance, then that will be more than enough ganja to get nicely baked.
My list of things to do in Canberra that might be better when stoned include:
- • Paddleboating on LBG (see the sights, get some exercise and a tan and no one can bug you),
• Wandering around the National Museum or National Gallery (staff won’t think too much about it if you walk around slowly staring at the interesting architecture and exhibits),
• Walk up to the top of Mount Ainslie, check out the view of the city and see how it resembles and Aboriginal dot painting, and then walk down again,
• Watch a cult movie at the Film and Sound Archive (comfy seats and cool flicks),
• Eat a schnitzel inside a tram at the Dickson Tradies,
• Roll down the green grass on the roof of Parliament House, and
• At the end of the day, grab a cold beer at the Phoenix.
Naturally, I don’t recommend doing anything illegal or dangerous, like operating heavy machinery, driving a car or donating blood.
What do you feel that Canberra has to offer the discerning weed smoker? If you want to blaze up, then what could you do here that might be enhanced by some good ol’ THC? Or does Canberra have nothing for stoners and they should all bugger off to Nimbin?