Canberra used to be a great place. Now, look around you. Use some of Mr Barr’s “vision” if u need. This is what I see happening to my city :
- Debt. M$300+ and growing. Given what the Fed’s have planned for Canberra, I’m astounded that the Chief Minister can say that the Territory can not let that stop us going forward ! If there isn’t the $ now Ms Gallagher, then cut your cloth to meet the budget – it’s called responsible fiscal/economic management. More debt isn’t what’s needed because that will constrain growth into the future.
- The ACT Gov’t “Economic Stimulus Package”. It’s not like the ACT is experiencing something akin to the Global Financial Crisis that hit the world a few years ago. True, things aren’t great in CBR (as elsewhere in Oz), but do we really need a infrastructure “stimulus” package at this point in time ? Really ? Or is it just the vehicle for some grandstanding by the ACT Gov’t – at ACT residents and Ratepayers expense. This is just part of the economic cycle – aided and abetted by the Fed’s – the good times will return Katy, Andrew and Shane. History tells us so. Your job is to position the territory to take full advantage of that when things do improve.
- For goodness sake, stop wasting money ! Just 3 examples : (i) The CBR symbol. Yuck. It’s so bad that they needed to write “Canberra” under it so people can see what it means. (ii) Put off increasing the no. of MLAs till things are better – it should only take a few years. (iii) The sky whale – what got into you Katy ? Surely good economic decision making can not be that hard ?
- Potential tripling of Rates. I’ve heard the ACT Government spin. Here are the facts (as they pertain to me) – my Annual Rates will be increasing about 9.5%pa – I give thanks that I’m under the 10% avg. figure. I’m not good at Math, but my calculator tells me that in 5 years time, my Annual Rates will be about $2,624pa – it’s the compounding that gets us, Katy. I hate to say it, but the Lib’s figures are broadly right taking a 10% avg. It also irks me that I gave your Gov’t $23K Stamp Duty only 3 ½ years ago when I purchased a place in Tuggers. Now, you want me to pay it again ! As a self funded retiree, I won’t be living in CBR in about 3 years – Annual Rates will be just too expensive, Katy – but that must be music to your ears – it’s just what you want to hear, isn’t it !
Has the ACT Gov’t ever used “vision” to think how the mega expensive to live in city of Canberra will translate into the employment market ? Workers will need even higher wages to pay your artificially inflated Annual Rates (and other ACT Gov’t charges), Katy and Andrew. That will probably make employing someone who actually lives in CBR too expensive for employers. Admittedly, this will be some years away, but it’s my take on it the impact on the ACT employment market in years to come.
The attitude of your Ministers, Katy, by proudly proclaiming that ACT residents who can not afford their grossly artificially inflated Annual Rates should sell up and/or leave Canberra is reprehensible and – to me – disgusting and insulting. They should be sacked for saying that. These simply are not people I want governing the Territory. This is not a social experiment Katy – you are stuffing around with peoples lives, aspirations – their future !
- Light Rail. It might (arguably) be a good idea, but why not postpone it till after the next ACT election, given points 1-4 above. Blame the Fed’s – that’s always a good political spin. By then, ACT voters and Ratepayers will have digested more of the facts and can make a more informed decision at the next ACT election. This certainly isn’t something that we need right now dressed up as a stimulus package.
Etc…etc…etc…etc. The list can go on.
I suppose Canberra voters and Ratepayers put them back in – in the knowledge of at least some of this (eg. Light Rail + potential tripling of Annual Rates).
It’s probably just me – but are others also fed up with the spin and treatment the ACT Gov’t and their Green’s “overlord” are inflicting on ACT residents and Ratepayers ? IMHO, much of which is totally unnecessary !
Maybe Caberrian’s are far too well paid and/or too apathetic and/or too time challenged so allow our city – and its residents/Ratepayers – to be treated this way. Or do we feel helpless to do anything about it ? Or do we really all just lack “vision” about where we are being taken ?
The ACT Lib’s don’t exactly fill me with any great sense of optimism as an alternative ACT Gov’t either just quietly. There, I feel better now !