Today the Australian Bureau of Statistics release their Social Atlas series, which contains lots of juicy demographic type information about the capital cities, as collected at the last Census in 2006. It contains lots of interesting information on our fair city, from population, eduction and housing, to income and the like.
You can see a copy of Canberra’s Social Atlas on the ABS website.
Some interesting tidbits:
- Canberra’s population at Census was 356, 756 – this equates to 142 people per square kilometre.
- 59.6 per cent of students attended a government school.
- There were 6 695 unemployed people in Canberra.
- 12 029 employed persons traveled to work using public transport.
- 62 571 persons living in Canberra undertook some form of volunteer work.