Canberra’s housing affordability the worst in the country

By 30 April 2012 37

The ABC has a story on Anglicare’s latest data showing Canberra, despite multi point government plans announced with much backslapping and fanfare, is the worst place in the country:

Anglicare’s National Rental Affordability Snapshot examined about 50,000 properties for rent across Australia, testing how affordable the private rental market is for households on government payments and the minimum wage.

It defined an affordable rental as one which took up less than 30 per cent of household income.

The report found not one capital city passed the test.

Anglicare ACT manager Jenny Kitchin says only 1 per cent of Canberra rental properties are affordable for families on a minimum wage income.

“Canberra would be one of the worst in the country,” she said.

“We found only about 20 properties in the whole of the Canberra rental market that a family living on a minimum, two people living on a minimum wage, could afford.

“But even in those situations, quite often you’d probably have to share to actually boost up the income to be able to afford to pay the rent.”

And that’s after 12 years of Labor Government?

Please login to post your comments
37 Responses to Canberra’s housing affordability the worst in the country
#31
milkman7:20 pm, 01 May 12

nhand42 said :

Tetranitrate said :

Yeah because building half million dollar townhouses in the inner north causes knife crime. Yes-sir-ee.

No, but if you tried to be that snide and condescending to somebody’s face, I’d be not the least bit surprised if they got all stabby on you.

Only in your crappy suburb.

#32
thatsnotme7:49 pm, 01 May 12

nhand42 said :

Tetranitrate said :

The bottom line is that the nimbys don’t want any development and oppose development because relieving scarcity means they may not get the same rental returns or capital gains. Every other argument relating to the ‘character of the neighborhood’, ‘increased traffic’ and ‘concerns about environmental sustainability’ of the sort sprouted by the green variety are simply intellectually dishonest attempts to roadblock development, not legitimate concerns that can ever be resolved.

That’s just rubbish. I am a nimby, because I remember when Northbourne had no traffic lights, when driving from Kaleen to Civic took 10 minutes, and when you could walk around Civic without having this oppressive claustrophobic feeling as buildings loomed over you.

I liked Canberra when it had 200k people and that Country Town vibe. Now it’s just a mini Sydney, parking sucks, traffic sucks, people are ruder, there is more crime, knifings and shootings (!) in our suburbs, and for what value? So we can have 24×7 McDonalds and 150+ shoe shops in Civic?

NIMBY, yes, I’m a NIMBY, can’t we have the old relaxing Canberra back? Or if not, where they hell can I live that isn’t trying so hard to be like Sydney?

Sorry, that’s not being a NIMBY, that’s just being regressive. In all seriousness, I’d suggest looking at one of the small towns nearby, such as Bungendore, or Yass. What you want to see Canberra return to is long gone, and will never return – and it’s not because we’re trying to turn into a little Sydney. Add another 160,000-odd people to a city, and yeah, things are going to change.

Oh, and the idea that all of this change is just in an effort to get more McDonalds and shops? Please…don’t trivialise the thousands of people who have come here to find work, or refuge, or have simply grown up here and are now starting families of their own.

I’m sorry if you’re pining for the good ‘ol days, but they’ve gone – cities change, there’s no stopping it. So in the absence of any chance that Canberra’s going to turn back into what you’re missing, the only change that can possibly make any difference starts with you.

#33
Bramina10:45 pm, 01 May 12

nhand42 said :

There is something wrong with the whole concept of nimby. And when I say wrong, I mean it is really, really wrong.

For starters nimby means that you get a say over what people do with their own private property. This goes against the whole idea of freedom. It’s none of your business if a person wants to develop their own private property – no more than the colour of their car is your business, or what they plant in their garden, or what friends they have over.

Nimby means that you get to prevent development from occurring. I need to make this clear – development is good for society. There is no argument against this. It is beyond any doubt. When nimbies block development, they are harming society.

Being a nimby means you get to do these things because it violates your own arbitrary self interest.

#34
nhand427:15 pm, 02 May 12

Bramina said :

For starters nimby means that you get a say over what people do with their own private property. This goes against the whole idea of freedom. ..

Yes, of course, when I say “I’m not a fan of high density living” I _really_ mean I hate the whole idea of freedom. What an insight you’ve brought to the discussion.

This is what I meant about snide remarks. You’re not interested in hearing another point of view. You just want to score points on the Internet. Congratulations. 1 point to you.

#35
milkman7:54 pm, 02 May 12

As far as I’m concerned, just keep building at the outer edges and don’t develop anything in inner suburbs at all. That way the NIMBYs are happy (and so am I).

#36
A_Cog10:24 am, 06 Jun 12

According to average measures, Canberra is very affordable. That is, if you are on an average Canberra wage, buying an average Canberra house. See my first post from May 2012 for all this data from the ABS, the Real Estate Insitute, etc for all the numbers.

But for people on the south side of that average curve, things are tough. Rents here are higher than other cities. As the largest single expense for renting households, I empathise with their plight. Renting in Canberra sucks.

#37
Watson10:37 am, 06 Jun 12

A_Cog said :

I am preparing to organise my mortgage for my yet to be built house and at the moment, with the interest rates the way they are, I will only be paying marginally more in loan repayments than what I am currently paying in rent. During the housing boom a few years back, I was paying more in rent than what most of my friends who had bought houses only a couple of years earlier were paying for their mortgage. But if you have to pay these kinds of rents, it becomes very hard to save up for a deposit and that is the main obstacle for lots of people.

Get Premium Membership
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.