Canberra’s Owen Campbell spontaneously combusts on Australia’s Got Talent

By 18 April 2012 79

“The guy’s an arse, but what a talented arse”

Sunrise brings us a brutal character examination of Canberra’s Owen Campbell including Brian McFadden’s protracted thoughts about our man after his Australia’s Got Talent Audition.

Here at RiotACT we thought he was lovely when we interviewed him in 2007.

Here’s some video of him performing:

owen campbell

UPDATE 18/04/12 17:34: Owen’s had this to say about this article:

One person who commented was right, I was a complete d***head… But I think in hindsight, my arrogance was but a symptom of how nervous I was, putting myself on this sort of program has never appealed to me, but, we shall see what happens… I appreciate your honesty who ever wrote that though…

He’s also written about this on his website.

UPDATE 18/04/12: 11:48: And here’s Owen’s 6:53 of fame, although we hear he way be getting back into the show post fireworks:

UPDATE: 19/04/12 09:11: And our congratulations to Owen our one man traffic spike:

mount owen

Please login to post your comments
79 Responses to Canberra’s Owen Campbell spontaneously combusts on Australia’s Got Talent
#61
HenryBG12:00 am, 20 Apr 12

johnboy said :

I’m sorry but people who don’t like danni minogue don’t like music.

let’s check the relativist bulldust at the door.

We’ve had pedophile defence on this site today and we’re not adding Danni Minogue defence to the list.

They’re talking at cross purposes: Dannii *does* have talents.
They just aren’t *musical* talents, they are a talent for self-promotion, and a talent for riding the coat-tails of her equally untalented sister’s success at selling manufactured pop music to people with defective talent sensors.

#62
Overheard1:27 am, 20 Apr 12

Thumper said :

Damn, I missed saying that, f*ck, this guy can play, I mean, really play….

Not quite Daniel Champagne play, but still way up there. Way beyond plonkers like me :)

Oh, Thumper, you cannot be serious.

Daniel is an amazing player, percussive guitarist and interpreter of others’ music. But in terms of really laying it on the line and paying those dues that mean you hone your craft and don’t make a deal with the devil down at the crossroads, I think you’ll find Owen has earned his stripes and accolades.

#63
phototext9:02 am, 20 Apr 12

@ #52

“It always makes me laugh how some people feel the need to belittle music styles that doesn’t fit their narrow definition of ‘real music’. They also have a need to insult anyone who may like a different type of music.
What is interesting is that on the most part, these people would normally consider themselves to be liberal and accepting of other peoples beliefs and choices in almost every other way.
Personally I am not a fan of Meldodic Death Metal, Spouge, Partido Alto or Danni Minogue but I’m sure other people enjoy them and I have no problem with them enjoying whatever harmless fun they like.
Why are you so threatened by it that you need to go on the attack?”

Yep, very bizarre, but very human. I think it’s the same part of the brain that sparks up when people get into Holden vs Ford, Nikon vs Canon, my football team vs your football team, Apple vs Microsoft, Left vs Right, Jim Beam vs Jack Daniels arguments. It’s meaningless tribalism.

#64
bloodnut10:18 am, 20 Apr 12

phototext said :

@ #52

Why are you so threatened by it that you need to go on the attack?”

Yep, very bizarre, but very human. I think it’s the same part of the brain that sparks up when people get into Holden vs Ford….It’s meaningless tribalism.

Look forget Danni for a second.

It’s actually not harmless fun or meaningless tribalism.

They also seek to suppress the voice and economic sustainability of real musicians who refuse the reduction of their art to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Your musical choices aren’t harmless fun, and it’s a choice that’s slightly more sophisticated than your brand of bourbon or car.

Which – back on topic – is the difference between danni minogue and owen campbell – one supports the devil and one actually (whether you realise it or not) supports the growth of your local community.

#65
Jim Jones10:38 am, 20 Apr 12

Perfectly put, bloodnut!

#66
Holden Caulfield11:01 am, 20 Apr 12

I heard the major music labels shot JFK.

#67
phototext11:50 am, 20 Apr 12

“Music from major labels does nothing but narrow your field of choice and purposefully erodes your artistic literacy.”

Really, so if someone purchases something from the major labels their “artistic literacy” has been eroded. Uh hu. There is a huge variety of music out there, independent or major label seems pretty irrelevant to me. If you like the music then buy it, listen to it. If anything you seem to be advocating narrowing down other peoples “artistic literacy” to what you consider “real music”.

“They also seek to suppress the voice and economic sustainability of real musicians who refuse the reduction of their art to appeal to the lowest common denominator”

If that was the case how come musicians such as Owen exist, surely by now the evil major labels would have suppressed and crushed them into the dust. Yet the major labels are struggling and there is a larger variety of music easily available than ever before. The major labels lost, perhaps it is time to find a new scapegoat to blame for the fact that not everyone wants to listen to your “real music”.

“real musicians” and “lowest common denominator” just make you look like an elitist snob. Who appointed you as arbiter to decide who is or isn’t a “real musician”.

“Your musical choices aren’t harmless fun”

Yes, they are. I avoid the neo nazi and gangsta rap genres and as far as I know no one was badly hurt in the production of “Wannabe”.

“Maybe you are happy paying significantly extra to a mutli-national to choose your iTunes library only to never see that money re-invested in local arts endeavours..
Or you can be community minded and check out what’s available independently or locally. It takes a bit more effort but is worth it in the long run.”

Or I could pick and choose from a variety of different sources that satisfies my wide taste in music, very much like a lot of other people. If I purchase a Lady Gaga track from iTunes, that doesn’t preclude me from purchasing hand crafted jewelry directly from the artist or seeing a local band down at the pub. How anyone could think that one precludes the other shows how narrow minded, shallow and elitist you are.

If you want to listen to jingly jangly slide guitar, good for you, it’s not my cup of tea but I’m happy it exists and gives other people pleasure, but you can f^%k right off when you start trying to dictate to me what I should or shouldn’t listen to because you appointed yourself music god.

#68
bloodnut10:06 pm, 20 Apr 12

phototext said :

“Your musical choices aren’t harmless fun”

You are your own worst enemy – have fun wondering why life is slipping you by.

#69
taninaus11:56 am, 22 Apr 12

Looks like they are giving him a second go from the promo I just saw – he looks like he is a bit contrite and aiming to show his singing rather than his nerves/arrogance or whatever it was last time.

#70
I-filed1:15 pm, 22 Apr 12

taninaus said :

That’ll be because they know The Voice will poach him otherwise and make Danni look like the piece of Eurotrash that she is!

#71
Thumper6:03 pm, 22 Apr 12

Overheard said :

Thumper said :

Damn, I missed saying that, f*ck, this guy can play, I mean, really play….

Oh, Thumper, you cannot be serious.

Where, at any stage, did I say that Owen has not earned his stripes?

That’s right, I didn’t.

#72
el9:59 pm, 22 Apr 12

kakosi said :

Perhaps when he’s spent a few more years busking and doing small venues without ever getting a recording contract he might learn to control that hair trigger temper.

Recording contract? How very quaint and 1990s.

You’ll find Owen’s album is already available for sale on his website.

And I bet he didn’t even need a $250,000 ‘advance’ (AKA loan) from a ponytail-equipped ‘talent scout’ from Sony/BMG :)

#73
el10:01 pm, 22 Apr 12

Thumper said :

Overheard said :

Thumper said :

Damn, I missed saying that, f*ck, this guy can play, I mean, really play….

Oh, Thumper, you cannot be serious.

Where, at any stage, did I say that Owen has not earned his stripes?

That’s right, I didn’t.

Yeah, that was a fairly impressive comprehension failure.

#74
Lazy I10:10 pm, 22 Apr 12

taninaus said :

If ‘reality’ TV’s predictability was a drinking game we’d all be in the ER with suspected alcohol poisoning.

#75
bigfeet6:33 am, 23 Apr 12

bloodnut said :

You are your own worst enemy – have fun wondering why life is slipping you by.

Once again, abuse of someone who dares to have different musical tastes to you.

Were you beaten up by a Spice Girls fan at school? Did Duran Duran run over your puppy? Hanson stole your girlfriend?

Is that where this hatred is coming from?

Or is is just that you naturally are a sactimonous git?

#76
phototext6:58 am, 23 Apr 12

or on itunes if thats your thing, he has 2 albums on there.

#77
Thumper9:20 am, 23 Apr 12

Lazy I said :

taninaus said :

Hehehe. Pay that man…

#78
Lazy I11:23 pm, 23 Apr 12

Video of attempt #2 is up.

#79
johnboy11:43 pm, 23 Apr 12

Lazy I said :

Video of attempt #2 is up.

thanks

Get Premium Membership
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.