The Chief Minister has announced that the Centenary of Canberra number plates have been issued to 9,000 drivers:
“The Centenary of Canberra number plates are a great way to draw people’s attention to Canberra’s upcoming Centenary birthday celebrations,” Mr Stanhope said. “Already 9000 Canberra cars are displaying the plates and spreading the Centenary message throughout Canberra and across our state borders.”
Other Centenary initiates we can look forward to include:
– Centenary Premium Shiraz and Riesling wines are being produced by ACT winemakers;
– A Centenary curriculum unit is being developed to teach students how and why Canberra became the nation’s capital;
– A new flower – the Centenary Rose – is being created;
– Preliminary agreement has been reached with Golf Australia for Canberra to host the 2013 Women’s Australian Open Golf Championship, as part of the centenary celebrations; and
– The Chief Minister has written to the Prime Minister asking him to extend an invitation to the Queen to visit Canberra in 2013, as part of the Centenary celebrations.