Deteriorating Telstra mobile coverage

By 10 December 2012 53

Over the last couple of months my mobile Internet coverage for both phone and iPad has really deteriorated especially in the evenings. I live in Queanbeyan and the coverage in my house is now restricted to a small area of one room and even that is patchy. Especially in the evenings. I work in Tuggeranong and am having the same problems there. My phone reception at work has also become patchy.

I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems and if you have any suggestions for improving coverage. I don’t have a land line or wireless Internet at home, just the mobile devices.

I don’t see any point in approaching Telstra about it. The people I’ve spoken to in the past either don’t care or are powerless to do anything.

Cheers

Please login to post your comments
53 Responses to Deteriorating Telstra mobile coverage
#31
Chop713:43 pm, 10 Dec 12

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.

Ease up on the name calling

#32
chewy143:56 pm, 10 Dec 12

qbninthecity said :

Gungahlin Al said :

Telstra 3G is woeful in areas of Downer and Dickson, and completely disappears during the Ainslie bit of the bus ride along Northbourne Ave. It’s also frequently incapable of handling anything more than a tweet in City Walk during weekday lunchtimes.

But hey, Tony Abbott and Malcom Turnbull reckon wireless is all we need for all our internet, so why bother with this NBN nonsense right? Right?

no wonder it “disappears during the Ainslie bit of the bus ride along Northbourne Ave” cos Ainslie doesn’t exist on Northbourne you twat

Jeez, it’s about 300m off Northbourne, I think most people knew the area he was talking about.

Do you pull people up for errant apostrophe’s in their comments as well?

#33
mossrocket4:16 pm, 10 Dec 12

Chop71 said :

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.

Ease up on the name calling

? I hope you didn’t mean me…

#34
thatsnotme4:20 pm, 10 Dec 12

Let’s get our terms straight here. Coverage is the ability for you to pick up a signal from a tower at all. Capacity will dictate whether having coverage is actually worth anything, or if there’s so much congestion that you’re not getting any data through anyway. A heavily congested tower won’t stop you getting decent coverage though – the signal is still being broadcast, you just can’t talk properly over it.

If the issue for the OP is just congestion, then it shouldn’t matter where in the house they are. If it’s signal, then only being able to get coverage in certain places makes some sense. Signal issues would affect the ability to make and receive phone calls / SMS too though, so if they’re all working, you’re likely looking at congestion.

Honestly? You could change providers, and try to find one with a more reliable coverage, but eventually you’ll probably run into the same issue again. If you can get ADSL, that’s the way I’d go, and then rely on wireless at home. Far more reliable and consistent, and you may be able to move to lower data plans on your mobile devices given you’re not consuming any mobile data at home, which may help to offset the costs of paying for a landline and ADSL.

This problem won’t get better any time soon – more and more mobile devices are coming online all the time, and the telcos can’t keep up with them. Not many people enjoy having a new mobile tower erected in their neighbourhood either!

#35
qbninthecity4:21 pm, 10 Dec 12

Chop71 said :

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.

Ease up on the name calling

that would be your opinion, not mine

#36
Gungahlin Al4:37 pm, 10 Dec 12

mossrocket said :

Al – you’re a smart fellow (whom I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with) but your line of argument here is flawed – not only is it a straw man argument (which falsely assumes the NBN will improve wireless internet speeds even though it is definitely wired internet, when the Coalition plan will definitely improve wireless speeds), but it also goes to prove why the Greens were decimated in the last ACT election – cheerleading…

If only you’d run as an Independent…

Mossrocket, as others have said here, congestion is at the root of the issue. The more of the core traffic that is carried on a strong backbone network, the more manageable wireless congestion is. I would have thought…

qbninthecity said :

Yet you knew exactly where I was talking about didn’t you? Yes that Wakefield/Visitors Centre/flats area, which is at the respective ends of Dickson and Braddon, but just two blocks from the centre of Ainslie.

Yes Grail – that would likely have a lot to do with it. Probably exacerbated a bit by my phone being an older iPhone 4, but not that badly. Cheers others.

#37
c_c™6:27 pm, 10 Dec 12

Ok folks, let’s get some things sorted out.

Firstly, coverage vs network load. Very unlikely around Canberra that on Telstra you’re having coverage issues. Much more likely to be load on the network. There’s only so much wireless spectrum available and only so many cell towers to service the available spectrum in each area.

It’s something Optus and Vodafone have had issues with for a long time, mainly because they sold their networks and wholesale network access very cheaply and widely.

Telstra has until recently kept their network exclusive (save for some sharing with Three until they joined VHA). But as demand has grown and they have opened up to wholesale buyers, Telstra too is suffering.

Second, 4G is an alternative though what they currently call 4G is really a evolved version of 3G data. It’s faster, and it uses a different part of the spectrum so for a time it will offer some respite.

Third, this is going to be an ongoing issue for sometime until the digital dividend is sold and developed. That will open up the very large and in terms of signal, very robust 700mhz spectrum once used for analogue television, something that will likely be developed into true 4G.

#38
c_c™6:28 pm, 10 Dec 12

thatsnotme said :

If the issue for the OP is just congestion, then it shouldn’t matter where in the house they are.!

Not correct.

#39
caf6:40 pm, 10 Dec 12

Telstra has a Network Coverage Feedback form that actually goes to the engineers responsible. I guess reporting your blackspot won’t guarantee it’ll be fixed, but it can’t hurt.

#40
miz8:15 pm, 10 Dec 12

Mossrocket, I got faster broadband for the same cost (ie, better product, no increase in price) both times. If they were trying to ‘up sell’, it didn’t work on me and I got a good deal!

#41
thatsnotme8:51 pm, 10 Dec 12

mossrocket said :

If only you’d run as an Independent…

Huh? How is the Coalition plan going to improve wireless speeds?

Throughout all of their various attempts to come up with an alternative policy, the Coalition have eventually decided on FTTN (Fibre to the Node) as their offering. This is a wired connection technology – the only difference between the Coalition policy, and the NBN, is how far the fibre runs – either to a local pillar box, or right up to your house.

I have seen nothing in the Coalition policy to indicate that they are going to do anything to improve wireless speed, and I can’t imagine why they’d ever propose such a thing. If the Coalition are all about private sector investment looking after this type of thing, they’d never consider putting into public hands one of the technologies where the private sector actually already invests money, and where there actually exists competition!

#42
thatsnotme8:56 pm, 10 Dec 12

c_c™ said :

thatsnotme said :

Not correct.

How so? Congestion is the inability for your connection to carry data, because there are too many other people competing for a limited resource (ie, the data that can be carried over the medium). How does moving from one room to another affect the dozens, hundreds, or thousands of other people who are accessing data from your tower?

#43
Growling Ferret10:04 pm, 10 Dec 12

Having just left Vodafail after 2 years of dropped calls, missed calls, poor data etc, I invested in a 4G Galaxy S3 with Telstra.

Wow-eeee. I feel liberated. This is what a phone should do.

Glad I have put some monitoring software on it, as I could go through 1GB of data in a day if I put my mind to it!

#44
Gungahlin Al10:40 pm, 10 Dec 12

qbninthecity said :

Chop71 said :

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.
Ease up on the name calling

that would be your opinion, not mine

I get an address wrong by two blocks. In an innocuous thread about bandwidth. And that’s your reaction? Or you just upset I said something bad about Tony Abbott?

Tough guy opinion, from the cover of anonymity. I’ll be sure to factor that into my next self-analysis session.
Jerk.

#45
c_c™11:19 pm, 10 Dec 12

thatsnotme said :

c_c™ said :

thatsnotme said :

Not correct.

There’s the airspace (or available spectrum), and it wouldn’t affect that.

But there’s also the capacity of individual towers. Devices seem to be great at finding which tower offers the best signal, less so which has the capacity for data at a particular time.

I’ve found that moving from the first to the second story of a structure can make a drastic difference in availability and speed of a data connection, even where the signal (in -db) at both locations is identical

#46
watto239:12 am, 11 Dec 12

mossrocket said :

Gungahlin Al said :

Chop71 said :

The new Al, I love this sort of banter.
Improved wireless would be great and much cheaper (and with a quicker roll out) than the NBN or we could go back to the green policy of smoke signals. Right?

Appreciate the sentiment Chop, but pretty sure I’ve said much the same things, in much the same way, throughout my years on RA. :)

If only you’d run as an Independent…

Huh, you are doing a good job of showing you know nothing about this other than to be politically biased. The coalition plan (Well the Turnbull plan) has moved on from wireless because they know if they implemented it, there would be voter backlash, because it just wouldn’t work for the money they are willing to spend. Its now fibre to a node on the street vs fibre to the premises.

Also more fibre improves the fibre backbone meaning more wireless hotspots. Whats been lacking in Australia is cafe’s offering free wifif, because they can’t get fast enough broadband and cheap enough in to offer a free wifi hotspot.

Also to get anything useful, would require more towers and we know how well they are received in the community. Its the congestion that applies to wifi 3G/4G thats the issue. The more users that convert their internet to mobile the more congested it will get.

Like I said the coalition (or at least turnbull) has moved on. I still see the FttN solution from the coalition as a stopgap. One to try and win votes, but in the long term will cost taxpayers a hell of a lot more money. Eventually they’ll start converting any coalition FttN solution to fibre the whole way at an increased cost. What I’d like to see is the coalition saying they’ll implement the Labor policy but do it for cheaper (irrelevant if they do of course).

#47
garydlum4:20 pm, 13 Dec 12

Telstra 3G is poor in Woden around lunch time. Mornings and late afternoons are okay.

#48
cmdwedge5:05 pm, 13 Dec 12

Gungahlin Al said :

qbninthecity said :

Chop71 said :

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.
Ease up on the name calling

that would be your opinion, not mine

Jerk.

This thread initially had nothing to do with Tony Abbott, and you dragged it in. And now you’re name-calling too? Grow up, Al. The electorate will remember this childishness at the next election. Or they’ll be reminded.

I mean this question in all sincerity – is the Greens policy platform simply ‘we hate the Liberals’? I’ve been to dozens of Liberal meetings with all levels of involved people (from grunts like me up to MPs) and I’ve never heard anyone start raving on about the evils of the Greens. However a number of your posts here on RA, particularly after the election, have simply been looking for opportunities to bash the Libs.

I concur with a previous statement – you’re a nice bloke in person. But on RA, behind the cover of the Internet, you’re just being unpleasant and winning no extra votes for the Greens.

And in the spirit of not hiding behind anonymity – I’m the red-headed bloke who shook your hand after the Inner-South Community Council meeting, and told you that I admired what you’ve been doing for the people of Gungahlin – and then politely asked that you come join the Libs. ;)

tldr; stop treating politics as a team sport. Everyone can win at the same time if people co-operate and learn that people from all parties can come up with clever ideas.

#49
ChrisinTurner5:19 pm, 13 Dec 12

Don’t switch to Optus. They seem to have turned off their 3G service close to Civic and if you complain they will explain how to turn your phone back to 2G. Really. One Optus technical support person suggested I change to Telstra!!

#50
c_c™6:51 pm, 13 Dec 12

ChrisinTurner said :

They haven’t turned it off (that’s illogical to say), there’s just no 3G cell capacity left most of the time they’ve oversold it so much.
It’s much worse for those few devices that only support 2100mhz 3G, not the Optus 900mhz.

Very occasionally, Telstra too will drop back to 2G (though with Telstra, that’s EDGE at least).

#51
Grrrr6:36 pm, 14 Dec 12

So, Karrotstix, perhaps it’s time to order fixed-line broadband at home? ADSL, VDSL, whatever’s available and gives best value. Any decent fixed-line ISP isn’t going to have much in the way of congestion issues..

Or do you not have fixed broadband available? Perhaps you’re hoping the NBN turns up soon? Segue to ..

cmdwedge said :

I mean this in all sincerity – what exactly is the Libs policy on the NBN?

Keep it as is, despite all the complaints about Labor? Micro-manage it with the goal of cutting some costs? Reduce it’s budget by 90% and see what NBNCo manage to come up with? Kill NBNCo and try rolling out the long-ago-decided-against FTTN? Kill all further spending and hope the telcos will come up with their own improved offerings?

#52
c_c™6:51 pm, 14 Dec 12
#53
caf11:37 pm, 14 Dec 12

cmdwedge said :

Gungahlin Al said :

qbninthecity said :

Chop71 said :

He may be green but he isn’t a twat.
Ease up on the name calling

that would be your opinion, not mine

Jerk.

He was responding to two people calling him a “twat”, which you even quoted. I think that was a pretty measured response, really.

Get Premium Membership
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.