The year may be coming to a close but Canberra is a feverish hive of activity.
What’s worth seeing and doing around town this weekend?
Just leave your ideas in the comments.
From our calendar:
– The Tiger & Me w/ Julia and the Deep Sea Sirens @ The Polo Tonight
– Jimbo the Great Fundraising Dinner
– The Last Prom @ The Ainslie Arts Centre.
– Remember me: the lost diggers of Vignacourt at the War Memorial
– That’s You in the Corner. Art by Steve Roper @ The Front
– Woden Valley Festival 2012
– Decked Out at Canberra City Framing Gallery
– Circus For Life Festival
– Canberra International Film Festival
– The Waterhouse Prize at the National Archives
– Divine worlds, Indian paintings at the National Gallery
– Sydney Long, The Spirit of the Land at the National Gallery
– Local Feats, a retrospective of local feature films 1971-2010
At the Phoenix:
Thursday 8th 9pm
Too Soon! (Melb)
Super Best Friends
Saturday 10th 9:30pm
Elliot The Bull (Newcastle)
Sunday 11th 8pm
The Barons of Tang (Melb)
Monday 12th 8pm
2XX Local n Live presents The Bootleg Sessions
– Home Made Jam Singer Songwriter Competition @ CIT Woden (yours truly on the judging panel)
– Canberra Karaoke Comp! @ Charlie Black
– BASTARDFEST CANBERRA – THE BASEMENT
– MASTER CONTROL – featuring GROUCH (NZ) @ Krave
– Cancer Support Group Hawaiian Ball @ Woden Southern Cross
– Friday Nite @ the Polo
– FORBIDDEN FRUITS @ A Bite To Eat
– Mic Conway’s National Junk Band + Gregory Page (USA) @ The Merry Muse
– Dose Classics – Breaks Edition @ Trinity
– Subsquad Presents Vaski @ The Club House
– THE CARNIVAL @ Eddison Park
– Poetry workshop and Open Mic @ Gorman House
– Gig night at the Queanbeyan Artists Shed
– Nite Society pres. DAHRNOIR (live) + LUNG (live) + Nite Society DJs – Sat Nov 10 @ Transit
– SKIN & BONES – SAT 10th Nov – Trinity Bar
– True Jungle Souljahs present: METALHEADZ Feat: LENZMAN (NL) @ The Club House
– NEVER MONDAYS ‘Launch Party’ – Sunday 11th Nov – TRINITY BAR
Friday night at the Polo
John Lollback – 7.30
The Magic Rob Universe – 8.15
Little Mac and The Monster Men – 9.00
The Feldons – 10.00
Space Party – 11.00
From the FB blurb:
“Under extreme duress the CMC has been forced to host a bunch of lunatics and miscreants pretending to be musicians and travelling under such outrageous pseudonyms as “The Magic Rob Universe” “Space Party” “The Feldons” “Little Mac and the Monster Men” and the most unlikely “John Lollback”. This unruly mob are likely to play loud music which might or might not have the unpleasant side effect of making people move their bodies in sync with the beating drums and rhythmic bass.”
A dose of 60s mod/pop, some retro 70s prog rock, some pyschobilly and surf punk. All with a soloist to start!
How can you go wrong?
St Philip’s Anglican Church O’Connor Twilight* Fair
3-7pm Saturday 10th November
Food, food, food! . . . and drink
‘Better bits’ — jewellery, fine tableware, pictures and other treasures
‘Kitchen creations’ — fabulous homemade cakes and jams
A skills auction (For example, someone will mow your lawn. You bid for that.)
Fun for children
Christmas hamper raffle
. . . and a quiet space in the church, for reflection and prayer.
cnr Macpherson and Moorhouse Streets, O’Connor (just up from the shops)
* Nothing to do with vampires.
Varsity Derby League presents Spring Breaks!
Cheer on the PHDemons and the Cheerbleeders in their final bout for 2012.
Date: Saturday 10th November 2012
Time: Doors open at 5pm – Game starts at 6pm
Location: 22 Cowlishaw St, Tuggeranong Southern Cross Basketball Stadium.
For furthur details visit – http://varsityderbyleague.com/
For tickets visit – http://tickets.oztix.com.au/?Event=30621&utm_medium=Website&utm_source=OzTix&utm_content=GigGuide&utm_term=__ACT
I assume you mean November and not September?
I doubt many here would be interested but you never know:
The 2012 ACT Scrabble Championships are on this weekend. Players aged from 11 to 90 are registered to play. People from as far as Brisbane have come to try and win the event.
Come along and see what tournament scrabble is all about. Unfortunately, entries or the tournament have already closed but there are plenty of spare boards so you are welcome to come and play a social game or two.
9:30am – 5pm Saturday 10th November and Sunday 11th November at the Southern Cross Club (Woden)
The SpringOUT Pride Festival 2012 continues to celebrate Canberra’s Queer Culture.
Tonight the SpringOUT Community Pride Awards. We will be thanking some very special people who have done some incredible work and made a real and positive change in the Canberra GLBTI Community. Join us at the Hellenic Club Woden from 6pm. Entry is $10 at the door and includes nibbles.
* Art Exhibition Calico Cazaly opens on Friday night at the Strathnairn Gallery 90 Stockdill Drive, Holt
* Bentfest – The Queer Film Festival: Saturday is guys night, Sunday is womens night. Both at the CSIRO Discovery Centre. We say farewell to more than a decade of Bent Lenses with their curtain closing screenings.
* Man2Man Sexual Health workshops at the AIDS Action Council of the ACT (we hope you’ve RSVP’d your spot!)
* Fruit Tingles Women’s Dance Party on Saturday night (woot!) at Majura Hall, Dickson
* Equine Assisted Glee – come play with the horses on Sunday out at Peakgrove Farm Murrambateman
* Big Gay Breakfast – hosted by Fuse Magazine at Tilley’s Divine Cafe from 10am
* ANU Queer* Department Spring Picnic at Commonwealth Park starting at 12pm
For all of the event details check out http://www.springout.com.au
The Identical Strangers are at the Hellenic Club in Woden on Saturday night from 9.00pm.
Come along & let the smooth, satisfying Strangers flavour refresh you to the core!
Open day at the arboretum Sunday.
Poncho Circus present Underground
Canberra’s newest Circus company present there sell out show Underground one more time at the Belconnen community Theater. Poncho Circus is a group of skilled, young performers from Canberra’s very own Warehouse Circus. All ten of the troupe’s performers are multi talented acrobats, each proficient in a number of disciplines while also specialising in their own unique skill set such as handstands, juggling, tumbling and trapeze.
Their show Underground explores a world where circus is banned. With acts that combine the style and choreography of companies like CIRCA with a fresh sense of humor and a fantastic sound track written and performed by the circus performers themselves.
This is a serious circus show that doesn’t take it’s self to seriously.
At the Belconnen Community Theater
Tonight (Friday) only 7 Pm
Suitable for all ages
Tickets available here http://warehousecircus.org.au/circus-for-life/poncho-circus-presents-underground/
Or at the door
If you want to see chuck and camilla; being at the War Memorial at 3.30pm on saturday is the go.
Royal visit deets:
johnboy said :
Open day at the arboretum Sunday.
Open day at the arboretum Sunday.
Can I bring my elephant?
Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?