We are dedicated to protecting the environment – so dedicated that we are in training for the Canberra Times Fun Run this September as a fundraiser, and we are asking for your support as we ‘run for the environment’.
A bunch of dedicated staff, Board members and member group representatives will walk or run the 5km or 10km course, all in the name of raising funds to protect the environment.
Your support for this fundraising appeal is crucial:
– We have helped protect bushland and biodiversity in the ACT, including endangered species such as the iconic Yellow Box-Red Gum grassy woodlands and Superb Parrot in Molonglo and North Gungahlin
– We have already engaged hundreds of ACT residents in protecting their local bushland through collaborative efforts in the ‘Living on the Urban Edge’ program.
– We are already unifying thousands of people from all over the ACT region to act as a collective voice to safeguard our environment for future generations through our 40 member groups.
– We give the ACT a voice to environmental issues of national significance – stopping fossil fuel subsidies, strengthening Federal environmental laws and protecting the iconic national places we love.
– We represent the interests and views of the environmental community groups in the ACT so they have a strong voice at the table with all levels of Government.
– We were the first to implement a much needed Biodiversity Mapping System for the ACT.
– We launched “Build a Smarter Canberra: Smarter transport, Smarter energy, Smarter buildings”, with ACT environment groups – a joint position to deliver a 40% greenhouse gas reduction target by 2020, which was committed to by the ACT Government as well as a 90% renewable energy target by 2020.
– In the run up to the Federal election, we need to be there to keep the environment on the agenda and represent the ACT with a strong voice over the coming years.
Since 1979 we have been the voice of the environment in the ACT, representing community environmental groups in the region. We can only do our work to protect the ACT’s environment with the support of caring people like you.
Even if you have $5 to spare – this is not about dollar value – it is about the value we place on the protection of biodiversity, keeping climate change action on the agenda and ensuring the ACT will continue to live up to the ‘Bush Capital’ name for future generations.