Double glazing in Canberra?

By 18 September, 2011 36

I’m thinking about retrofitting double glazing.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Thanks!

Please login to post your comments
36 Responses to Double glazing in Canberra?
#31
Deref6:38 pm, 24 Sep 11

Whoops – my mistake – the Magnetite bloke came today. He was obviously knowledgeable and gave us a good rundown on how they worked. The quote was, I thought, quite impressive. Remember that the house is solar passive and the whole long north-facing wall is basically glass. The quote was a little over $11k, excluding the far end of the house that contains the kids’ bedrooms and bathroom. We asked for some of it to be split up so that we could do it a bit at a time if we decide to do it that way. The Mrs wants to see the showroom and we may do some bits initially to see how it goes and she may want a quote for traditional double glazing (though I wouldn’t bother personally).

The advice to consider how long it would take to save that sort of money on heating and cooling is definitely something we’ll consider before we jump but, so far, I’m quite impressed.

#32
Felix the Cat7:35 pm, 24 Sep 11

banjo said :

Not wanting to high jack the thread but it is inline with the topic, has anyone had any experience with the roller shutters for their windows? I know they introduce a security element not found in double glazing but are they any better at noise reduction and insulation over a form of double glazing? I to am considering my options for the windows but my number 1 concern is noise as I live on a main road, insulation second, security not so much… especialy if that is what I am really paying for.

I have roller shutter and find they are good for heat/cold insulation but don’t notice much difference with noise, though my street is relatively quiet…except for 4am this morning when a V8 driving bogan decided to get in some practice for the Summernats burnout comp outside my bedroom window.

DON’T pay retail price for roller shutters, the RRP they quote can be halved straight away and a good negotiator coulod probably talk the price down even further. The electric version is even more overpriced – about $1500 EXTRA PER SHUTTER! A remote control garage door motor is <$500 installed I have no idea why roller shutters would be more expensive as the motor wouldn't need to be as heavy duty.

#33
michellecanberra11:57 am, 26 Nov 11

milkman said :

Unless your existing glass is really thin, I woould struggle to see the benefits of double glazing over spending the money on decent window dressings and insulation for ceilings, walls (and sometimes floors).

There does come a point of diminishing return when considering efficiency improvements.

The problem with putting on heavy drapes etc is that you lose your view. I have double glazed in a couple of my homes and recently used a company in Sydney called Eco Vue. They use Chinese windows. Their quality was awful and dealing with a Sydney supplier was very hard. They were not available to come and do service calls a they were busy in Sydney. I didn’t get flyscreens or reveals and the windows had to be assembled at my house. My builder was frustrated and it took 15 weeks to get my windows from the date of order. I would not use them again.

There are a couple of local companies that can handle the window order for you and take the whole burden off you. In hindsight, I should have used them. They are here in Canberra and can deal with everything from the order to any after sales services. My friend used them and their windows are far better than mine. The company she used was Solace Creations and they are http://www.solacecreations.com.au. She was very happy with them and she bought the Inframe Windows from Melbourne which are a German window system.

She paid about $2,000 more than I did but I can tell you, if I had known the Eco Vue windows were such poor quality then I would have saved up for the better local product.

Hindsight is a great thing!

#34
Flatone11:06 am, 10 May 12

I am interested in double glazing, is it worth importing from somewhere such as the UK?? There is an abundance of the stuff there and it is a standard in all buildings now. Worth noting that double glazing units fail (go bad) after 20 or so years.

#35
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd11:14 am, 10 May 12

I will just say that, unless you have your walls and roof insulated, then double glazing will make hardly any difference. Are you looking at installing entire new frames or do you have existing timber frames that will fit double glazed units in? Are you doing it yourself or get somebody to do it for you?
I cant see you saving money importing from england. Units made here themselves are quite cheap now days.

#36
Jim Jones11:21 am, 10 May 12

Deref said :

Magnetite = awesome.

Does a great job in both heating/cooling and sound reduction. I couldn’t be happier with them!

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Halloween in Australia?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.