Emotional help after an assault

By 12 December 2012 53

The other day I was assaulted in broad daylight in the Canberra region. One moment I’m minding my own business, the next I was running for my life. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and looking at the wrong young man who took offense. I didn’t do anything to precipitate the event. Before I really grasped what was happening the guy attacked me, pushing and shoving me, threatening me, and then as I ran off, he chased me up the street with his mates in tow. I did consider hitting back but this guy was bigger than me, young, full of anger and rage and I figured I’d come off worse if I escalated the fight. I manged to get to my friend’s car and get in then drive off, with the young man punching at the car as I went.

It was scarey as hell. Even though I reported it to the police straight afterwards, I’m all shook up. Over the past week I have felt scared to leave the house and have been reliving the incident over and over in my mind. I’m having huge problems sleeping and holding it together.I’m worried that this might cause long term issues such as loss of my job if I’m too afraid to leave home.

Is there any service to assist with this sort of thing? I can see this is beyond my capabilities to deal with.

Please login to post your comments
53 Responses to Emotional help after an assault
#31
Dazzlar9:52 pm, 12 Dec 12

So sorry to hear that you’ve gone through such a terrible experience.

I have nothing to offer but my best wishes and I hope you find the help you need.

#32
howabout10:47 pm, 12 Dec 12

Sorry but some of Grimm’s sentiment rings true. The reason these morons think they can intimidate their way through life is because we let them. Running to mummy (in this case the police) has become the default setting when sticking up for yourself or others is bit too un pc.

#33
howabout10:57 pm, 12 Dec 12

Could also be a good stir from a sook.

#34
Jivrashia11:11 pm, 12 Dec 12

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

Do not feed the trolls.

#35
hermanmunster112:45 am, 13 Dec 12

Grimm said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days? You require a support group for almost getting into a fight, but instead running like a little girl?

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

+1 Yeah I’m sorry, but for f*cks sake!
There IS a support group for just about everything under the sun these days. We can’t have the kids calling Christmas Christmas or put up a Xmas tree without offending or upsetting someone or some group!
Now old mate gets “swooped by a maggie” and won’t turn up for work for at least 2 months because the whole event brings back terrible memories? How the hell do you think the poor bastards who returned from WW1,WW2, Vietnam etc ever carried on with their lives? I agree what happened is far from acceptable.
BUT, For crying out loud GROW UP , HARDEN UP & stop your bloody winging for christ sake.

#36
Jim Jones8:46 am, 13 Dec 12

hermanmunster1 said :

The bulk of them suffered in silence and incredible numbers took their own lives because they had no support for PTSD and the prevailing attitude was ‘just harden up and act like a man’.

Why don’t you read some history instead of bleating on like an imbecile about things you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

#37
bundah8:58 am, 13 Dec 12

Jim Jones said :

hermanmunster1 said :

That’s probably expecting a liittle too much given he’s clearly a farktard.

#38
Henry829:14 am, 13 Dec 12

If you’re at a university they generally have counselors available.

#39
neanderthalsis9:30 am, 13 Dec 12

Given the prevalence of ice and the uninhibited aggression it can cause in users, running away was probably a smart move. I’m all for standing my ground on most occasions, but with the numbers of iced up, hep infected vermin out there, avoiding the fight is the best option.

As for coping emotionally, head off to the gym, do some weights and punch a bag. Work off some steam.

#40
PBO12:45 pm, 13 Dec 12

Jivrashia said :

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

Do not feed the trolls.

Sorry, but that is Gold! How people deal with such things is different for every case, I myself would be inclined to take a few of my mates (purely for effect) to see this guy publicly and loudly confront the bully and verbally and physiclly corner them so they know what it is like and so they can feel the fear that they have instilled in others.

Then I would make them strip naked (Shirt, shoes, pants etc…the lot) and I would attack them with Wasabi paste and a pallette knife (the painting one), I would then tie their hands and feet and possibly put a shitty but not oily rag in their mouths to muffle the sound. Then I would go to the tip and get an old refridgerator which has been de-gassed (think of the environment), Knock some air holes in the door, Before you lock them in there you should administer a stupidly large amount of high quality amphetamines into the bully and lock the fridge. Raise the fridge up 1 foot from the ground but make them believe that it is dangling from the side of a high-rise carpark and leave them in there for 3 days.

Sorry, I am a bit twisted due to my time wearing issued tap-out shirts and large watches.

But public confrontation is the way to go, it embarrasses them and if they do anything about it then you have witnesses.

I would give the old “drive the bully to suicide” trick or maybe undermine his sexuallity and tell people he was abused by a truckload of uncles.

Be creative, be imaginative, Take a leif from the Icelandic book of Revenge and be a cnut.

Just dont give in to their bullying.

#41
DrKoresh1:30 pm, 13 Dec 12

hermanmunster1 said :

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

+1 Yeah I’m sorry, but for f*cks sake!

F**k off to Afghanistan then, mate. Show us all what a man you are.

#42
NoImRight1:53 pm, 13 Dec 12

hermanmunster1 said :

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

+1 Yeah I’m sorry, but for f*cks sake!

I always love the we cant have Christmas” sook. Urban legends FTW!

Interesting that a long whining post ends with advice to stop whining. You sir are a special sort of knob end.

#43
NoImRight1:54 pm, 13 Dec 12

PBO said :

Jivrashia said :

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

Do not feed the trolls.

Sorry, but that is Gold!

Just dont give in to their bullying.

Youve spent too much time thinking about this. Way too much time.

#44
DrKoresh2:18 pm, 13 Dec 12

This:
Is why you did the right thing and why these limp-membered, ‘hard’-men saying otherwise are just stupid.

#45
GTeam2:23 pm, 13 Dec 12

Hi 1337HaxOr,

I had an incident happen at work that caused me to have PTS and had to receive counselling.

The best thing was to let the emotions come out – go with whatever you feel, but also make sure you talk to someone – I found that really helps.

Another thing that was helpful that was recommended to me and I used was St Johns Wort supplements – keep them up for a good few months.

Hope it all goes ok for you – just know that over time it does get better. It may not feel like it now, but hang in there :)

#46
Tetranitrate2:39 pm, 13 Dec 12

GTeam said :

Hi 1337HaxOr,

Be very careful with St Johns Wort if you’re on any other medications, particularly anti-depressants, it can cause Serotonin syndrome if taken by someone SSRI’s or SNRI’s (or some others), which can be fatal in extreme cases.

#47
GTeam3:29 pm, 13 Dec 12

Tetranitrate said :

GTeam said :

Hi 1337HaxOr,

Sorry..didnt know about that! Of course make sure you check out the specifics!

#48
voytek34:03 pm, 13 Dec 12

More information please. These people are most definitely small brained idiots that cant handle their sub standard drugs but it takes more than a “look” to cause a beating.

#49
legal_chick864:33 pm, 13 Dec 12

A few months back i was in my house when a stranger was also in the house. After the Police coming to search the house, the offender was gone. I put in a report about the incident and approximately 1 week after, i received a call from ACT Policing asking if i needed any counselling etc. Perhaps you can call the officer who you spoke to and ask them for a contact. I believe it should be free service if you are a victim of a crime. Doesnt hurt to ask!

#50
legal_chick864:39 pm, 13 Dec 12

legal_chick86 said :

Oh and for you tossers out there who think they are ‘top s***’ and a hero… no…. i didnt need counselling following this, but people deal with things differently!

#51
Tetranitrate4:49 pm, 13 Dec 12

voytek3 said :

Not true. Agro Dimwit + alcohol + methamphetamine. With that combination the wrong ‘look’ is all you need.

#52
LSWCHP7:02 pm, 14 Dec 12

DrKoresh said :

This:

Yep. As I’ve said before, and will say again, street fights can get you maimed for life or killed.

There’s no more posting on RA if you’re brain damaged or dead.

#53
IrishPete10:11 am, 17 Dec 12

LSWCHP said :

There’s no more posting on RA if you’re brain damaged or dead.

Evidence suggests otherwise…

IP

Get Premium Membership

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.