Advertisement

Government should advise Mr Fluffy homeowners directly

By 30 June 2014 6

The ACT Labor government needs to be proactive and directly advise owners of Mr Fluffy properties through registered mail that their houses are affected, Leader of the Opposition Jeremy Hanson said today.

“I’m calling on the government to make another effort to contact homeowners who may not yet know that their property is Mr Fluffy affected. The government needs to inform people who pay the rates on those properties by sending personal letters through registered mail. It’s been a mistake by the government to only address notices to householders. On top of that, it’s been four months since that happened,” Mr Hanson said.

“The government knows who pays rates on properties and should have that information readily available. It shouldn’t be too difficult for the government to carry out this assignment.

“If owners who may not know that their property is affected can’t be contacted through registered mail, the government will then need to find another avenue to contact them.

“I’m also calling on the government to provide affected homeowners and residents with the latest information on what action the government has taken and who they should contact for help through the newly announced taskforce. The government needs to establish direct contact with affected people, not just make announcements in the media.

“I again call on the government to provide immediate financial assistance for families who have been affected by this crisis. It’s not good enough to just provide a committee and point of contact.

“The government needs to take these next steps to make sure everyone who is affected actually knows about the ramifications of owning a Mr Fluffy home. The families are counting on the government,” Mr Hanson concluded.

(Jeremy Hanson Media Release)

Please login to post your comments
6 Responses to Government should advise Mr Fluffy homeowners directly
#1
drfelonious9:01 pm, 30 Jun 14

I heard a discussion about this on local radio and a real estate industry rep was saying that letters had already been sent both to the home address and to the address of absent landlords.

#2
Antagonist7:40 am, 01 Jul 14

The effort made to contact residents and owners of these properties illustrates exactly why people think our MLA’s and public servants are bludgers. And I think they would be right too! They struggle to do the absolute bare minimum to create the impression that they are doing their jobs. We are talking about loose-fill asbestos here, and the Minister and their bureaucrats think that sending out a few ‘Dear John’ letters (without follow-up of any kind) is taking a pro-active approach to contacting the people affected? It is no great wonder that people think public servants are a lazy bunch of overpaid and underperforming bludgers. They have clearly demonstrated that they ARE overpaid and underperforming. Shameful!

#3
creative_canberran10:08 am, 01 Jul 14

The best thing that could happen about this issue is if the rabid community group and the opposition politicians who smell blood in the water would just cool it. This issue has been around for 40 years, regardless what action is taken, it will be around for at least 20 more. Nothing is gained by blowing the issue out of proportion and making unreasonable demands without evidence, intact it is likely to be counterproductive. The vast majority of people writing and speaking about this actually know very little.

#4
cranky2:51 pm, 01 Jul 14

I was astonished that the Gov have decreed that a large group of trades and professions are to be compelled to receive asbestos awareness training, but no such action appears to be in place for (some unsuspecting) homeowners.

Even more appalled that the training message emphasised heavy penalties for non compliance. All stick, no carrott.

This is not being well handled.

#5
neanderthalsis3:17 pm, 01 Jul 14

I bought an ex-govvie in May after the original letters were sent in a suburb where I am now aware there were quite a few Mr Fluffy infected properties. I have been back through my purchase contract and building inspection and there is nothing listed. So I went and contacted the hotline, was put through to Canberra Connect and told that they can’t give information out on whether my new property is on the list.

While I am not hugely concerned (yet), I am rather annoyed that there seems to be no one capable of simply looking at the list of affected properties and telling me if my address is one of them. Given that I want to start on some predominantly DIY renovations, some info would be much appreciated but thus far not forthcoming.

#6
Tezza74207:30 pm, 01 Jul 14

creative_canberran said :

The best thing that could happen about this issue is if the rabid community group and the opposition politicians who smell blood in the water would just cool it. This issue has been around for 40 years, regardless what action is taken, it will be around for at least 20 more. Nothing is gained by blowing the issue out of proportion and making unreasonable demands without evidence, intact it is likely to be counterproductive. The vast majority of people writing and speaking about this actually know very little.

Try telling those people who have had to flee their homes, with nothing but the contaminated clothes on their back, to cool it. They have lost most or all of their contents and, if they are a homeowner, most or all of the value of their house. And before you ask, yes, I do know people in this situation.

Follow
Follow The RiotACT
Get Premium Membership
Advertisement
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Advertisement
Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.