How do you feel about shark fin soup?

By 16 February 2012 79

shark

A friend sent me a link to the Canberra Restaurants named as selling shark fin soup with this note:

Hokay, I don’t normally post these sorts of things, but shark fin soup is whack and this website provides a list of restaurants in Canberra (and all of Australia) that actually sell it. Sharks are amazing animals, critical to aquatic ecosystem functioning and, as a SCUBA diver, I need all the good shark karma I can get. Rather than just not eating at these restaurants, I recommend if you’re in the neighborhood, stop by and tell them WHY you’re not eating there!

The restaurants are: Happys Chinese Restaurant (Civic), King Fook Restaurant (Florey), Noble Palace Chinese Restaurant (Phillip), Prince Palace Chinese Restaurant (Emu Bank), Ruby Chinese Restaurant (Dickson).

[Photo by StormyDog CC BY 2.0]

Please login to post your comments
79 Responses to How do you feel about shark fin soup?
#61
NoImRight11:10 am, 17 Feb 12

willo said :

poetix said :

Sorry, third post.

But I just remembered the justified outcry in Melbourne when someone cut off his dog’s ears without anaesthetic, with a pair of scissors. The demand for shark-fin soup makes the same degree of pain occur everyday, as a matter of routine. It’s just that sharks are seen so differently from dogs. Some people don’t even believe that they feel pain.

This does matter, willo.

no it does not matter
sharkfins are removed AFTER the shark has been humanely dispatched if done within the framework of australian fisheries legislation
this thread has sweet fa to do with dogs ears being cut off
now make an actual point or shut the hell up

Thought that spray was worth saying twice heh?

#62
n2kaja12:31 pm, 17 Feb 12

Should be banned. ! Period!

#63
urchin1:17 pm, 17 Feb 12

EvanJames said :

urchin said :

however, i do object to those calling for an immediate ban on it. what’s the point? eliminating canberra’s consumption of shark fins will have absolutely no effect on the shark fin industry.

You have to start somewhere. When I’m trying to get-at the free range egg display at Coles in Queanbeyan, which has numbers of peopel clustering around it, checking their eggs before they take them, I’m reminded of how people couldn’t see the point in that, either. Now we are seeing a logical move to banning cage egg production altogether, with large numbers of shoppers opting to pay more and get cruelty-free eggs.

“you have to start somewhere” is not the same as “you have to start anywhere”. all you will do is succeed in alienating more people and burning through the little political capital that the greens retain. i think people tend to get sick of hearing how the gov’t is going to ban this and ban that and ban everything else. especially when the ban won’t have any real effect and, in any case, will be unenforced/unenforceable.

i’m not saying the cause is bad, but why is the first response for many environmental types always “ban it!” without considering the (in)significance of the ban and the effectiveness of other, less shrill, less confrontational measures? surely convincing people that eating shark fins is bad will be better and more effective than telling them that they can’t eat them…

#64
johnboy1:18 pm, 17 Feb 12

isn’t that was this post is doing?

#65
MERC6001:26 pm, 17 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

jsm2090 said :

Agree. The only way to curb the demand is to ban the dish.

You curb your own demand, and I’ll take care of mine. Busybody.

HenryBG .. Best retort I’ve seen for a while

#66
HenryBG1:49 pm, 17 Feb 12

urchin said :

surely convincing people that eating shark fins is bad will be better …

Why is it bad?

I agreed with you when you said it’s silly to squander Green credibility and then you go and do it yourself.

Cruelty is bad, not eating shark fin soup.
Ban cruelty – great idea.
In fact – it already is! Problem solved.

#67
Ian2:16 pm, 17 Feb 12

Shark fin soup is delicious. Perfect to go with grilled dolphin steaks.

#68
sarahsarah2:44 pm, 17 Feb 12

Ian said :

Shark fin soup is delicious. Perfect to go with grilled dolphin steaks.

All washed down with a whalebone goblet of baby seal tears.

#69
Kalfour10:39 pm, 18 Feb 12

Die Lefty Scum said :

I’m with the Chinese on this one. Those maniacal sharks would do the same thing to us if given the chance. Same with the Rhinos.

Yes… those ferocious rhinos eating all those people…

#70
Diggety2:16 am, 19 Feb 12

EvanJames said :

The issue is how the fins are obtained. The sharks are caught, the fins are hacked off, and then the still living sharks are chucked overboard. Missing their various fins, they can stay upright or swim or steer, so they sink and die a slow death.

That’s the issue with shark fin.

No, that is what you think happens.

#71
Mysteryman3:23 pm, 20 Feb 12

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

qbngeek said :

Mysteryman said :

I agree. But honestly, this issue doesn’t rank too highly on my list of concerns.

And that is the issue. Too many people think exactly like you and nothing ever changes. It takes about 5 minutes to write a letter and send it to all your local members of the assembly and federal parliament. Are you really that busy?

Its the same a people who go ‘I don’t care where the food comes from as long as I can get it at Colesworths’ Spend a cuple of hours each weekend going to the farmers markets, find sources of local products and decrese your footprint on the world. When you have seen how much better the food is, you will see why it is right.

I didn’t say I was too busy. I said it doesn’t rank highly on my list of concerns. Essentially, I don’t care enough about the issue to spend my time on it. Whether you like it or not, that’s the way it is.

Don’t think that just because you want to support something, the rest of us should have to also. You are more than welcome to be anti-shark fin soup, anti-whaling, anti supermarket food, anti-whatever you want. I would encourage it, even. There are many causes worth supporting and it’s your right as an Australian so make every legal effort to change the things you don’t like. We need people to care about things like this. But don’t expect that everyone should jump on board with you. Your crusade is not everyone’s. Some of us find our efforts focussed on other things. Some people probably don’t even agree with you. They probably don’t care where their food comes from. That’s ok too. They have a right not to care. It doesn’t make their opinions any less important than yours, and it doesn’t make your cause any less meaningful or worthwhile.

You certainly spend a lot of time commenting on stuff you purportedly couldn’t care less about.

I care about being understood. You should care more about reading comprehension.

Nothing wrong with my comprehension.

Still somewhat stunned you’d spend so much time ‘being understood’ about an issue that ‘doesn’t rank highly on your list of concerns’.

What’s next, a lengthy essay in Quadrant magazine about how the land rights debate ‘doesn’t really interest me that much’?

You daily post comments that demonstrate serious problems with reading comprehension. It’s clearly something you need to work on. It’s either that, or you just can’t help but post self-serving tripe despite the fact that it doesn’t relate to the topic at hand, or the comments you respond to.

I’m sorry you can’t seem to understand that I’m ok with taking 60 seconds to make myself understood, and that I don’t care to support every cause presented to me, or that I just may find some causes to be more worthy of my time and effort than others. I doubt you’ve done anything to support the cause of shark preservation… and no, posting snarky comments on RA doesn’t count.

#72
HenryBG3:32 pm, 20 Feb 12

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

qbngeek said :

Mysteryman said :

Nothing wrong with my comprehension.

I think this is sort of a “meta-argument”, in that you aren’t participating in this argument, but rather, you are arguing about the argument of the argument.

It’s all a bit pointless.

#73
Sleaz2745:09 pm, 20 Feb 12

End of argument meta or otherwise. Piss off and watch it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater
topdocumentaryfilms.com/sharkwater/

I can’t help you much more than that. Come back with your rants afterwards having been at least a little bit informed.

#74
Jim Jones5:51 pm, 20 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

It’s all a bit pointless.

Honestly, what sort of self-absored f%^head turns up in a thread about a serious issue with the sole point of saying ‘I don’t really care about this’ … and then continues arguing about it when it’s pointed out that they’re being a f&*ing idiot?

How about a big steaming cup of shut the f*(k up!!!

#75
Diggety7:09 pm, 20 Feb 12

Sleaz274 said :

End of argument meta or otherwise. Piss off and watch it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater
topdocumentaryfilms.com/sharkwater/

Thanks Michael Moore, but it is irrelevant to the discussion.

#76
Sleaz2747:42 pm, 20 Feb 12

Diggety said :

Sleaz274 said :

End of argument meta or otherwise. Piss off and watch it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater
topdocumentaryfilms.com/sharkwater/

Thanks Michael Moore, but it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Pray, do tell enlightened one I’m so interested in how irrelevant your comment is. NO really I”m entirely serious please regale us with an expose on how irrelevant a documentary on the subject, which obviously you haven’t watched, read about or tried to research further is completely irrelevant.

I will admit it is irrelevant to teh penis measuring contest going on above but that was hardly close to on topic anyway.

#77
milkman8:07 pm, 20 Feb 12

I’ve got no problem with eating shark fins provided we eat the rest of the shark too, rather than simply injuring or killing the creature for no other reason.

#78
HenryBG11:37 pm, 20 Feb 12

Sleaz274 said :

Diggety said :

Sleaz274 said :

End of argument meta or otherwise. Piss off and watch it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater
topdocumentaryfilms.com/sharkwater/

Thanks Michael Moore, but it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Actually, I’ve just started watching your suggested link, and I have immediate problems with the opening credits:

“THEY ARE THE WORLD’S TOP PREDATOR”

Are they? How often does a shark bring down a buffalo? Not very often at all!

So this “doco” of yours isn’t a doco at all. It’s some sort of shark-love-in crap.

“BUT THEY ARE NOT OUR ENEMY”

Bollocks.
If you want to see some really sick sh1t, google “shark bite” and click on images. It’s worse than what the Israelis get up to.

“THEY”RE ARE GREATEST HOPE”

Wha??? Are they going to terraform Mars and help us move there? Or something?

You animal lovers are freaks.

#79
Diggety1:31 am, 23 Feb 12

Sleaz274 said :

Diggety said :

Sleaz274 said :

End of argument meta or otherwise. Piss off and watch it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater
topdocumentaryfilms.com/sharkwater/

Thanks Michael Moore, but it is irrelevant to the discussion.

The question was: While I’m not a fan of killing sharks just for their fins I’m not convinced eating fins is ethically that different to eating any other part of a fish. What do you think?

Now, before I go through your response, tell me exactly how those links “End the argument”?

I.e. Did you think before you posted, or do you let narcissistic ‘doco’ makers do your thinking for you? Did you look into the legal/regulatory circumstances in Australia (therefore Canberra restaurants) for consuming shark fin?

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.