I need a plus sized model for an indie photo-shoot.

By 3 April 2012 80

Help!

I need a lovely  female model to help me shoot some indie clothing, Preferably size 12-14. Experience is not required!

I’m a female photographer. It will be on a volunteer basis, however a keepsake CD of images will be included.

Can anyone help, or offer any suggestions on where I should be advertising?

Thanks Rioters.

Please login to post your comments
80 Responses to I need a plus sized model for an indie photo-shoot.
#31
geoffappleby2:13 pm, 03 Apr 12

Lillypilly said :

Ruh roh. I know of this name also! *cough*BBS*Cough*

Jeebers, it’s like a termite infestation, you keep all appearing from out of nowhere.

Actually, _really_ similar to termites. You all look the same and I have no idea who you are :P

That’s not your fault however. I’m old now, and I’m losing my memory.

#32
jonquil142:43 pm, 03 Apr 12

Put an ad up on OffPrompt, the local audition noticeboard site http://offprompt.stagecraft.cx

Heck, I’m size 12-14, I’ll do it.

Er, if I’m pretty enough/the right ethnicity etc…

#33
dreamboat3:02 pm, 03 Apr 12

Jonquil14, who mentioned ethnicity??

#34
carnardly3:11 pm, 03 Apr 12

yup – imagine rocking up saying hi – i’m size 12, but then they say you’re butt ugly with a face like a seedless watermelon dropped off the top of rydges lakeside….

#35
dreamboat3:16 pm, 03 Apr 12

Geoffappleby, they call them ‘seniors moments’ that’s why you would think we were all the same!!!

#36
dreamboat3:24 pm, 03 Apr 12

With you carnardly, how’s that for a confidence fix!!!!

#37
Duffbowl4:11 pm, 03 Apr 12

At this point, I have realised that I failed to make my points sufficiently and therefore unreservedly apologise and withdraw.

#38
Evil_Kitten5:59 pm, 03 Apr 12

dreamboat said :

Jonquil14, who mentioned ethnicity??

No one. That’s why she said “if”.

#39
Pooks7:13 pm, 03 Apr 12

I’m a size 12 myself and believe in being healthy and happy, whatever size you are.

I was attempting to be reasonably professional in my advertisement. Let me try again;

“Slightly unhealthy binge drinker of wine/photographer who happens to be a size 12 herself is seeking a nice/friendly/beautiful-inside and out woman who enjoys wearing vintage clothes in front of a camera.

I currently have a nice/friendly/beautiful lady who models for me and happens to be a size 8.

Amazingly, Clothing is made in many different sizes.

I have already procured a model for my clothing sized 8 to 10, thus I am looking for a woman who is a size known as ‘Plus sized” in the fickle, bullshit world of size 6-8 models. PS. In no way, shape or form do I endorse the label ‘Plus sized.”

Please email opshoppers@gmail.com for more information

#40
Pooks7:14 pm, 03 Apr 12

jonquil14 said :

Heck, I’m size 12-14, I’ll do it.

Er, if I’m pretty enough/the right ethnicity etc…

You look stunning. Please email me and I’ll give you more info. :)

#41
Pooks7:16 pm, 03 Apr 12

MsCheeky said :

Pooks, what age are you looking for? I’ve got a friend who has lots of camera presence who may be interested. Also, perhaps you could ask around at the CIT fashion area, as the students there model each other’s clothes.

Thanks for the info. I’m doing a poster drop at CIT and the ANU art school tomorrow. If your friend is interested please email me at opshoppers@gmail.com

#42
Darkfalz7:50 pm, 03 Apr 12

Pooks said :

PS. In no way, shape or form do I endorse the label ‘Plus sized.”

Please email opshoppers@gmail.com for more information

Precisely, we’re talking about *models* here. Not regular people. Regular models are slim and usually tall women, and in their teens or 20s.

The usual outrage is amusing. It’s like people with an IQ of 110 complaning about not being smart enough for Mensa. It doesn’t mean you are dumb. , The “thin women aren’t real women/healthy” snobbery is pretty offensive though.

#43
curlylocks8:08 pm, 03 Apr 12

Sorry plus size to me is 18 + 12-14 Now that is what I would like to be!

#44
chewy148:41 pm, 03 Apr 12

curlylocks said :

Sorry plus size to me is 18 + 12-14 Now that is what I would like to be!

I’m not sure about the maths but does that mean you want to be a size 16?

#45
GardeningGirl8:56 pm, 03 Apr 12

Pooks said :

Amazingly, Clothing is made in many different sizes.

Please email opshoppers@gmail.com for more information

Agree with “being healthy and happy, whatever size you are”.

I suppose if seeking a so-called plus sized model at an agency or modelling school then the industry terminology would be used (calling 12-14 plus is just part of the silliness there) otherwise why not simply say what size your after? I might have been interested but I went to a department store and discovered that for $5 more in a different section of the store I can buy an identical t-shirt labelled S. I’m small, who knew! :-)

#46
cantdance9:13 pm, 03 Apr 12

Has everyone been living under a rock? Size 12 and over has been considered a plus size for years. Take it with a grain of salt.

I’m just over 5 foot and a 12 – and would be considered overweight.
My friend is over 6 foot and a 12 – and she’s considered skinny.

Go figure.

#47
I-filed9:28 pm, 03 Apr 12

cantdance said :

Unmitigated cr*p originating from the mouths of surly fashion queens. Plus size is over 16 – always has been.

#48
c_c9:51 pm, 03 Apr 12

I-filed said :

cantdance said :

Yeah… in what country?

#49
lulu10:33 am, 04 Apr 12

The “thin women aren’t real women/healthy” snobbery is pretty offensive though.

Yes it is! I do not look like a boy. I am healthy and have always been happy with my body (It’s not perfect and I’ve never expected it to be. A good body image isn’t about perfection, It’s about acceptance and love and it makes you want to take care of yourself). I have been around the same weight for over 30 years. In that time dress sizes have got bugger. Whereas once I was an 8-10, I am now a 6-8.

I find advertising campaigns that insist that the only “real” women are those with excess kilos and DD cup breasts to be really offensive. Who are they to say that I and others of my build are not ‘real’ women? Some of the posts in this thread are similarly offensive.

Good luck to the OP in her quest for models of all sizes. I hope the shoot goes well.

#50
Holden Caulfield10:45 am, 04 Apr 12

For the definitive answer on what defines “plus size” we need to consult the Real Australians™ and see what they think.

#51
Northwest912:10 pm, 04 Apr 12

hahaha, so many cranky fat chicks….

#52
HenryBG12:32 pm, 04 Apr 12

c_c said :

I-filed said :

cantdance said :

Yeah… in what country?

Depends where you are – strolling around your average Shopping Mall you will quickly discover that a Size16 in those places would be considered anorexic.

#53
c_c1:03 pm, 04 Apr 12

HenryBG said :

c_c said :

I-filed said :

cantdance said :

Yeah… in what country?

Exactly. US, UK and European sizing has always been messed up, and is even mores now with vanity sizing so common.

And let’s not count the blokes out from this. Depending on what sweatshop my shoes come out of, anything from a Size 8 to a 9.5 can fit on my size 9 feet. The whole concept of measuring first has become somewhat redundant.

#54
kakosi1:41 pm, 04 Apr 12

Most models are thin because they are very tall and very very very young – young tall girls are generally thinner.

A size 12 or above model will look “big” in photos because we’re used to pictures of teenagers made up to look like women (and adult women and actresses who starve themselves to look like young women).

Also, there’s no mistaking that if you get over a size 14 you are most likely overweight, even if that’s what most women are in reality.

#55
HenryBG2:07 pm, 04 Apr 12

kakosi said :

Not in France. Women over there know how to take care of their figures and they mostly have the intelligence and self-control to stay slim.

#56
Ben_Dover2:17 pm, 04 Apr 12

Wanna tell you a story
‘Bout a woman I know
When it comes to lovin’
Oh, she steals the show
She ain’t exactly pretty
She ain’t exaclty small
42-39-56
You could say she’s got it ALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Never had a woman, never had a woman like you
Doin’ all the things, doin’ all the things you do
Ain’t no fairy story
Ain’t no skin-and-bones
But you give all you got, weighin’ in at nineteen stone

You’re a whole lotta woman
A whole lotta woman
I gotta whole lotta Rosie
A whole lotta Rosie
A whole lotta Rosie
I gotta whole lotta woman, yeah-yeah-yeah

Honey, you can do, do it to me all night long
Only one can turn, only one can turn me on
All through the night-time
Right around the clock
To my suprise, Rosie never stops

You’re a whole lotta woman
A whole lotta woman
I gotta whole lotta Rosie
A whole lotta Rosie
A whole lotta Rosie
I gotta whole lotta woman, yeah-yeah-yeah

#57
dreamboat3:18 pm, 04 Apr 12

I’m with you lulu, I am also a very healthy size 8 and certainly not unhealthy, I understand that all women the same shape and size would be boring but being labeled ‘straight up and down’ and ‘looks like a young boy’ is offensive. I am a very healthy mother of two!!!!

#58
dreamboat3:22 pm, 04 Apr 12

Henry BG, He he I am with you on that one!!!!

#59
dreamboat3:24 pm, 04 Apr 12

Northwest9, I agree!!!

#60
devils_advocate3:37 pm, 04 Apr 12

I reckon the divergent size thing is a massive conspiracy by manufacturers and retailers to make it impossible to buy clothes over the internet. Online competition drives prices down and reduces the ability of both functional levels of the market to raise prices above cost.

I mean if everyone followed a standard sizing approach, it would greatly reduce the need to attend a physical store front and try stuff on, because you’d have a better-than-even chance of buying off-the-rack casual stuff that fits from the interwebs.

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.