Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops

By 5 July 2008 163

ABC recently reported that the laws are being upgraded in the ACT to allow our local police to possess and sell drugs.

It brings our laws into line with other states, allowing officers to buy and sell drugs, without fear of being prosecuted themselves for possessing the illegal substance.

It’s probably surprising they haven’t had this power before now, but when the laws are passed, it will certainly change the atmosphere in and around many of Canberra’s better known nightclubs. Not to mention a few of the city’s dark lanes and back streets.

Please login to post your comments
163 Responses to Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops
#121
Deadmandrinking7:14 pm, 10 Jul 08

Well said, Serpico.

I would also like to add that under Maelinar’s regime, anyone who does not have a degree in hospitality and a degree in journalism cannot write restuarant reviews anymore. Anyone who does not have a law degree cannot comment on the decisions of Canberra’s magistrates. In fact, if you do not have a degree in every subject matter concievable, you shouldn’t really be commenting on this site.

RIOT-ACT: The forum for experts(like Maelinar, Elf Lord of the Universe)

#122
DJ7:32 pm, 10 Jul 08

Quote of the year from Ingeegoodbee : Buddy, I may not always be right, but I’m rarely wrong … when I am though it’s usually seriously wrong and I’ll take responsibility for that.

If we ‘mistakenly’ misquote it, it looks even better! Mods… PLEASE!

#123
vg10:46 pm, 10 Jul 08

serpico said :

The War on drugs will never be won because you so called experts do not understand WHY people who take hard drugs for the FIRST time decide to continue to use them.It is not because they are instantly addicted.The REASON is because the drugs make you feel so good initially.The real problem is temptation and availability and no one can stop that.Look at what happened during prohibition of alcohol in America between 1920-1933.It was a complete failure.And all you know alls who have never tried illegal drugs,you have no idea what your talking about.

Smoking half a parsley ‘joint’ behind the garden shed when you’re 13yo can hardly be said to be establishing a life of hard drugs and a font of information on the topic.

“The real problem is temptation and availability and no one can stop that.”
Bollocks. If that was the case we’d be a nation of smack-heads. Most of it is because you’re average drug addict is as weak willed as potty calf and uses their ‘addiction’ as a crutch to blame every ill in their life and the deeds many of them commit.

I’d suggest some of you would want to get a little more life experience before you pontificate on society with your background of a half completed arts degree and a square eyes from communicating with your second life ‘buddies’. But I guess 20 years of working with druggies every day stands for nought, whereas 20 mins of Google makes you an expert.

But c’mon DMD, Ingee and Fant, surely you want to lecture us all once again. You can’t resist……………………..

C’mon give us a laugh

#124
Deadmandrinking1:27 am, 11 Jul 08

Your War on drugs is giving us all a laugh. Although it is kind of sad to see all those police resources being wasted away. And the lives.

#125
vg7:59 am, 11 Jul 08

Its your war too………….
No resources being wasted away, they’re all quite healthy
As for the lives, I only feel sorry for the families, not the weak willed individuals who ‘succumb to the terrors’ of illicit drugs. Harden up and get off them, its not as hard as everyone raves about

#126
farq9:06 am, 11 Jul 08

So vg’s solution is what? Imprisonment for taking drugs?

#127
Absent Diane9:14 am, 11 Jul 08

it would be interesting to see stats on how many people have been regular recreational drug user nd how many of them end up living that shitful smacky lifestyle. then having a look at those who did end up like that and determine what kind of background they camne from (eg socioeconomic, bogan parents etc etc).

Given that most people i know have tried drugs harder than pot and many people i know have used them on a regular basis for a period in their life and the majority of them are normal/succesful people and far from the junkie stigma as you can get. This makes me believe that the results of the above would be quite eye opening to the anti-drug crowd.

#128
Mælinar9:30 am, 11 Jul 08

WMD – your quote I would also like to add that under Maelinar’s regime… completely baffles me. Where on earth are you quoting that from, or what have you obtained this opinion from ?

For the official record I have never held the view that you require a formal qualification in order to provide an opinion, and furthermore have upheld this for far beyond the innane ramblings of that idiot who posted his contrary view. Most of the senior posters would have recognised this as not the case already anyway.

#129
serpico4:54 pm, 11 Jul 08

VG,Are you telling us that you spent 20yrs working with drug addicts.From your ramblings you did’nt learn much.Look up PROHIBITION IN AMERICA 1920-1933 on wikipedia and read what John Rockefellar says about it.Those are the reasons why prohibition of drugs do not work and will NEVER work.

#130
Deadmandrinking5:49 pm, 11 Jul 08

Maelinar – “Either pull your head in or pass on whatever qualification level you have in the field of medicine” is what I was responding to.

It’s not my war, VG. I don’t agree with it. I don’t want to see my tax dollars being spent on what I see is a useless enterprise.

I would like to see the Government take real action and start looking at the alternatives to drug prohibition. I would like them to recognize that drugs can also be a symptom of a problem, that is only escalated to being the primary problem by the cost and lack of quality and safety control that is directly caused by prohibition. I would like to see less money going into the hands of criminal organizations that bring suffering and pain to so many innocent people. I would like to see less money spent on imprisoning addicts and more on offering them help and support so they can find an alternative to spending their lives high.

The ‘war on drugs’ offers none of that. It is one of the great failures of the 20th century and the first decade of the 21st.

There’s more people in the world than gym junkies who threaten to assault people over the internet, VG. You need to recognize that. Society is about everyone who is born into it, not just those who fit a certain mold.

#131
Danman5:58 pm, 11 Jul 08

Ahh wikipedia – I read it on the internet so it must be true.

if your quick This page indicates that In the United States, the term Prohibition refers to the period 1920 to 1933, during which the sale, manufacture, and transportation of DaNmAn for consumption were banned nationally as mandated in the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Proving categorically that wiki is 100% true at all times.

#132
Deadmandrinking6:00 pm, 11 Jul 08

I’m still going for prohibition in that case, then.

#133
vg7:41 pm, 11 Jul 08

Serpico pull your head out of your posterior.

Comparing your wiki explanation of the prohibition era of the 20s with the present drug issue is pathetic. The contrast is circumstances is stunning, yet you still rant on and on and on……..

“So vg’s solution is what? Imprisonment for taking drugs?”

If someone continues to break the criminal law, and I’m not talking once or twice here, the ‘ken oath. Lock ‘em up with every other crook, ‘cos that’s what they are. No better than a burglar

#134
Deadmandrinking8:02 pm, 11 Jul 08

“Lock ‘em up with every other crook, ‘cos that’s what they are. No better than a burglar”

Except of course, that a burglar invades the privacy of someone else’s home and takes their possessions, directly affecting that innocent person financially and emotionally.

I didn’t know the act of being in possession of an illicit substances did all those things. (remember, I said the act, not what it takes to afford the high cost of them – thanks again, war on drugs).

#135
Thumper8:09 pm, 11 Jul 08

Actually this is not true.

Society is a grouping of individuals characterized by patterns of relationships, norms and ideals between these individuals that may have distinctive culture and institutions, or, more broadly, an economic, social and industrial infrastructure in which a varied multitude of people or peoples are a part.

So it’s actually not about everyone who is born into it.

#136
Deadmandrinking8:22 pm, 11 Jul 08

Once you’re born into it, you should have a chance and be allowed to make mistakes. You’d also be surprised how many drug-users contribute to our infrastructure.

Not every mind functions the same. Someone quoted Bill Hicks before with his remark about musicians. You of all people should appreciate what some drug-users are capable of, Thumper.

I know a fair few people, I won’t mention what they do, but they’re not just laborers, who use illicit drugs, not frequently, but more than rarely and still function in society and contribute to our economy. Perhaps your and Vg’s views are skewed by the fact that in areas of health (? – not too clear on what you do..) and policing, usually only the people who have major problems with drugs are encountered.

And I’m sorry, but I do honestly believe that everyone in Australia who was either born here or has become a citizen is part of society. Some people just find it hard to fit.

#137
Headbonius8:25 pm, 11 Jul 08

CFMD DMD you are such a tool. What little fantasy land to you live in?

There’s nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods, which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent to Gaol. BTW we have a nice new one just down the road that needs to be filled.

What this says to me is that too many shit head (probably just like you) and getting away with drug use. Too many no hoping pieces of trash are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites,blacks, gooks and rag heads are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we’re not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.

Really if you think your ideas are SFG run for election idiot. Then at least I know where you’ll be when I choose to exact retribution for the slight on my parents.

…We are becoming too tolerant as a society, folks, especially of crime, in too many parts of the country…. This country certainly appears to be tolerant, forgive and forget. I mean, you know as well as I do, you go out and commit the worst murder in the world and you just say you’re sorry, people go, “Oh, OK. A little contrition.”… People say, “I feel better. He said he’s sorry for it.” We’re becoming too tolerant, folks.

–Rush Limbaugh TV show (10/5/95)

These tough sentencing laws were instituted for a reason. The American people, including liberals, demanded them. Don’t you remember the crack cocaine epidemic? Crack babies and out-of-control murder rates? Liberal judges giving the bad guys slaps on the wrist? Finally we got tough, and the crime rate has been falling ever since, so what’s wrong?

#138
DJ8:29 pm, 11 Jul 08

Deadmandrinking said :

And you think they are in the house taking prized possessions to pay off the S-Class Mercedes they are using as a get away vehicle?

#139
vg8:53 pm, 11 Jul 08

Quoting drug addicted American comics is really throwing some worth into it as well. Might as well quote Oliver Reed on the benefits of smashing as much alcohol into oneself as one can.

DMD, FYI, drug possesion, use, and distribution is still against the law. Until it ain’t then the users are crooks. Something you haven’t reallt addressed in your argument. Whinge to the law makers, not us.

For every ‘positive’ contribution to society drug users apparently give, I’ll see you and raise you about a billion negatives. The contents of the Belconnen Remand Centre would be a good start

#140
Deadmandrinking8:58 pm, 11 Jul 08

We don’t live in America, Headbonius, just so you know. You can move there if you like. Australia would be better off without morons like you voting.

Interesting how Rush Limbaugh sounds about as nonsensical and ranting as most of the hardline right-wingers on this site.

The United States is having a massive prison problem as well. Jails are overcrowded with people who’ve been sent to jail for petty sh-t. Taxpayers are paying exhorbitant amounts of money to keep people in institutions where they’ll be brutalised and hardened into tough criminals.

The murder rate has dropped, but it is still the highest in the western world. Crack is still freely available and easy to purchase off the street in many cities (I’ve spoken to Americans about the ease of getting crack there before).

Do you want to know why the states had such a high rate of murder during the time of that quote anyway? Street Gangs. They live by weird codes of honor and often use violence as a first resort to maintaining the borders of their territory. Many of these gangs, especially the ones in the inner-areas of major cities are heavily armed. Where do they get the money to fund their guerrilla wars that drive many already impoverish areas into utter ruin? Selling crack. Your average crack dealer can make $400 a night.

Sure they get busted if they don’t get shot dead, but it makes no difference. There’ll be two doing the same thing the next day, since there’s little else to do in areas where gang-violence has driven away alot of industry. They’ll make a killing off selling crack at stupidly high prices, buy guns to make real killings, make crack-babies then another body or another prisoner for the cops to deal with.

The fact is, the tougher you get on people with no hopes or dreams, the tougher they get on you.

It’s time we looked at other solutions.

Also, if you honestly want to talk about this face to face, feel free to come down to the Pot or the Basement this Saturday night. See the bands too (there’ll be some good ones). Just look for the 6″4-5 guy with a full dark beard and short hair. I hope you have fun.

#141
vg9:39 pm, 11 Jul 08

You’re 6’4″-6’5″ as much as I am Robert Mugabe but in any case its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog. You would crap your duds if he turned up anyway

Apparently Limbaugh, who is sober, is so so bad but Bill Hicks, a drug addicted entertainer, is a god on the subject. You can pick and choose your selective American quotes but others can’t?

I think you ought to not watch so much TV as well. Having travelled to the US on numerous occasions its not the non-stop den of sin that your online chess mates portray

#142
Deadmandrinking10:09 pm, 11 Jul 08

You’re too stupid to be Robert Mugabe. Fail, once again. What’s the point of putting up my location on Saturday night ifI was just gonna shit my pants anyway.

My uncle’s Californian ;) And I never said it was a non-stop den of sin. However there is frequent gang-violence in many of the poorer areas of the major cities. This is a documented fact. I hope you enjoyed San Diego.

Limbaugh should be doing drugs, then he’d have an excuse.

#143
vg10:28 pm, 11 Jul 08

What’s the point, to have an internet laugh at someone who turns up to smack your head in then turns out they wasted your time as you weren’t there.

My uncle’s a kiwi, doesn’t make me an authority on NZ (mind you I have been there 3 times so I’m more of an authority on NZ than you are on the US). There is gang violence in every major city on the planet, many of which don’t have the associated drug problem.

“I hope you enjoyed San Diego”.

WTF? I think you meant to have an amateur try at implying I was a homo when what you actually meant was SAN FRANCISCO. What a complete ignoramus you are.

But thank you, I enjoyed the entire east and west coasts as well as the Great Lakes area and Canada.

Hicks did drugs, and what a poster boy he ended up

#144
Deadmandrinking10:35 pm, 11 Jul 08

I’ll be there regardless.

I was talking about a safer city – San Diego is one of the safer ones and a popular tourist destination.

I’m no expert on the US…but nor are you, it seems. In fact, you seem a little naive. Crack is very easy to buy in many poorer downtown areas. That is why the War on Drugs is an failure. Just like you.

#145
vg10:44 pm, 11 Jul 08

Based on what your good ol’ uncle told you.

Did Daddy tell you Santa wasn’t real yet.

Some people do, some people have to ask those who do. Have a guess who I might have been spending all my time with whilst in the US, maybe people who know a boat load about the drug problems in their cities?

You got caught out big time on San Diego reference, even more so when this line comes straight from their stats

“However, while burglaries and larceny/thefts were lower than the national average, vehicle thefts were twice as high as the national average.”

Learn some geography and travel outside your own town once in a while you dilettante. I never said I was an expert (you love making this crap up) but someone who has been there once knows a lot more than you, I have been there a lot more than that and had the opportunity to see a lot more than what the average tourist does because of my background..

Keep swinging away champ, you’ll hit the ball eventually. Ask your uncle how to do it

#146
Deadmandrinking11:00 pm, 11 Jul 08

Compare the crime rates in San Diego with somewhere like Detroit, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, Oakland or St Louis, then, douche-bag.

Yeah, I’d rather ask someone who knew what he was talking about. You don’t even seem to know sh-t about crime. You have obviously been lying to everyone about your service in the police force. Did you want to be just like the big boys at the PCYC? Wanted a life more than writing cheques on the internet your fat arse can’t cash? Please turn left down the corridor to the lame failure room.

I think this discussion is over. There is no point in trying to hold a civil conversation with a cop-wannabe who has no understanding of people outside his minuscule mental sphere.

#147
vg10:40 am, 12 Jul 08

Oh FFS!

So DMDs invitations to clash in the above are OK

“Also, if you honestly want to talk about this face to face, feel free to come down to the Pot or the Basement this Saturday night. See the bands too (there’ll be some good ones). Just look for the 6?4-5 guy with a full dark beard and short hair. I hope you have fun.”

But my invitation to a civilised confrontation aren’t

Nice to see the consistency in moderation. Apparently DMD’s juvenile insults and barbs are OK but the right to respond is edited and moderated so as to disappear.

#148
vg10:42 am, 12 Jul 08

Or because DMD says its over the mods think so too

This site has gone completely to insipid poop

#149
serpico11:57 am, 12 Jul 08

VG,It appears that you have great knowledge about the drug business.So all drug addicts and drug dealers should be locked up.So what punishment should be given to police who deal in drugs.What’s worse a junkie selling drugs to feed his habit or a policeman selling drugs for monetery gain.

#150
vg12:37 pm, 12 Jul 08

Police who deal in drugs illegally should be locked up.

If you are directing that comment towards the title of this thread you really have no idea what you’re talking about. Controlled operations have nothing to do with Police selling drugs. Do some research on what a controlled operation is. Here’s an easy one for you.

Man A in Amsterdam mails 1000 ecstasy tabs to man B in Canberra. Customs intercepts the said package on its way into the country and detects the drugs, then refers it to the Police. In order for the Police to allow the drugs to reach their final destination they must get a controlled ops certificate as, according to the High Court case of Ridgway, they could be interpreted as being part of the importation by not stopping it.

They get a controlled ops certificate indemnifying their ‘role’ and said package is monitored and delivered to man B. Police then take appropriate action when said package is dealt with by man B.

Nothing to do with selling drugs. Change your tag to Einstein

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.