Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops

By 5 July 2008 163

ABC recently reported that the laws are being upgraded in the ACT to allow our local police to possess and sell drugs.

It brings our laws into line with other states, allowing officers to buy and sell drugs, without fear of being prosecuted themselves for possessing the illegal substance.

It’s probably surprising they haven’t had this power before now, but when the laws are passed, it will certainly change the atmosphere in and around many of Canberra’s better known nightclubs. Not to mention a few of the city’s dark lanes and back streets.

Please login to post your comments
163 Responses to Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops
#151
vg1:26 pm, 12 Jul 08

….and this is all explained in the legislation, both ACT and Commonwealth. Here’s some excerpts from the Bill for the Commonwealth Legislation. Straight off the net so none of this is a secret

“New section 15H defines a controlled operation. A controlled operation is an operation involving law enforcement officers, carried out in order to obtain evidence that may lead to the prosecution of a person for an offence against section 233B of the Customs Act 1901 or an associated offence. Such an operation may involve law enforcement officers in conduct that, if not excused by the Bill, would constitute a narcotics goods offence.”

No doubt the ACT act wil include ACT drug offences

“New section 15J provides that a certificate authorising a controlled operation must be obtained from the Commissioner, a Deputy Commissioner or an Assistant Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police or a member of the National Crime Authority.”

and finally

” Before granting an authorising certificate, the authorising officer must be satisfied of all of the following matters:

* that he or she has been given any information known to the applicant about the nature and quality of the relevant narcotic goods,
* that the target of the controlled operation would be likely to commit a relevant offence whether or not the controlled operation occurs,
* that the controlled operation will make it easier to obtain evidence that will lead to a prosecution,
* that any narcotic goods in Australia at the end of the controlled operation will be under the control of an Australian law enforcement officer. “

As stated, no doubt the ACT act will mirror certain aspects of the above with respect to ACT offences.

And the most important part for you once again, before everyone screams ‘entrapment’ and ‘police selling drugs’ in an uneducated fashion.

“that the target of the controlled operation would be likely to commit a relevant offence whether or not the controlled operation occurs”

And to expand on my last, my personal belief is that Police officers who sell drugs illegally and are caught should be held to a higher level than those who are not. Same for anyone else involved in law enforcement.

Maybe now people can pull their heads out of their posterior and lose the hysteria

#152
serpico3:47 pm, 12 Jul 08

VG,You did’nt answer the last paragraph of my post 149.But I certainly got an ear full from you about Controlled delivery.That bullshit would’nt happen in real life.I think you have been watching to many episodes of Miami Vice.

#153
Spideydog4:41 pm, 12 Jul 08

If you really believe junkies SELL drugs to feed thier habit and not for monetry gain, you are a little bit naive…. Junkies BUY drugs to feed thier habit, drug dealers sell drugs to make money…simple.

What do you mean by “that bullshit wouldn’t happen in real life” ? What are you talking about? If you are talking about “controlled deliveries” Sorry to tell you, but it happens frequently in the other jurisdictions and federally.

#154
Deadmandrinking5:07 pm, 12 Jul 08

Serpico and Spidey, you’re both right and wrong. People deal drugs for a variety of reasons. I’ve certainly known of a few dealers who were dealing weed to fund harder addictions and I’m sure it’s the same with dealing harder drugs in some cases. There’s also a shit-load of people, including some cops (I’ve only heard, so don’t quote me) that sell for monetary gain.

[MODERATED]

My Final Stance: The War on Drugs is a failure because it only increases the price of drugs, encouraging property crime and it puts addicts at risk by having no control over the contents of illicit substances. It also puts more money into the hands of hardened criminals who inflict a vast amount of other hurt on society as well

#155
vg5:30 pm, 12 Jul 08

[MODERATED]

Serpico, read the news. Happens every week.

Druggies are weak human beings, full stop

#156
bigfeet5:42 pm, 12 Jul 08

serpico said :

I thought he did answer it, in 151 where VG said “my personal belief is that Police officers who sell drugs illegally and are caught should be held to a higher level than those who are not.”

And if you think controlled deliverys never happen you obvious don’t watch the news or read the papers (or you just read the Canberra Times)… they happen on an almost weekly basis all over Australia

#157
Deadmandrinking5:58 pm, 12 Jul 08

Sepico, although your pretty much correct about everything else and I agree with you, controlled deliveries do happen.

[MODERATED]

#158
Deadmandrinking5:59 pm, 12 Jul 08

Btw, it’s the Basement or the Pot, I’ll be alternating. Social occasions stuff.

#159
farq6:16 pm, 12 Jul 08

jeez. Will you two kiss and make up already. It’s just a internet forum, stop the dcik measuring.

Bill Hicks was a legend who talked with logic and heart. Only drug he was addicted too was smoking. Limbaugh is a bitter old conservative who hates all those who don’t follow his line of thinking (sounds like vg).

And I notice no one has addressed the issue of personal choice. Who cares what people do if no one else is affected.

Tens of thousands of adults in the ACT will be getting high tonight. Good luck locking them all up.

Without drugs we would not have the White album, nuff said.

#160
Spideydog6:54 pm, 12 Jul 08

Drugs is not an activity that only affects the user even if it was legalised and “controlled and delivered” by governments. The social and health issues remain. Governments will NEVER endorse drug use…plain and simple. Imagine drug OD’s in an government endorsed drug program (Sorry, you will never elliminate OD’s)

People need repercussions for thier drug use…the courts don’t currently provide that.

Drugs destroy lives, familes and communities and i will not endorse drug use. But that is my opinion, based on first hand observations..

#161
Spideydog7:07 pm, 12 Jul 08

Oh and DMD, The vast majority of drug dealers are in it for the money. Burglary and other crimes (including small time dealing) are generally the money makers for “junkies”(I did not mean that ALL drug dealers are ONLY in it for themoney)

#162
Deadmandrinking7:41 pm, 12 Jul 08

I brought it up Farq, earlier somewhere down the line. Spidey, yes, I agree, a good amount of bigger drug dealers are in it for the money.

A world of legalized drugs would not be the best. OD’s will still happen, families torn apart blah blah blah, I said this. But this stuff is all happening now. As Farq said, tens of thousands of adults in Canberra will be getting high. Has the war on drugs stopped that?

#163
Special G7:55 pm, 12 Jul 08

Damn, you two need to get a room.

All dealers sell drugs because it makes money. It’s as simple as that. Saying they sell to support a habit is still selling to get money to fund the other habit. Some people go to work – others trash lives.

DMD – if you know as many dealers that are friends or aquiantences as you say. I am putting you in the same boat as them – absolute gutter trash. but wait I will explain my reasoning.

You see drug dealers selling – making a few bucks and quite happily let it happen even though you are well aware of the social impacts of drug use on recreational users/junkies/the rest of the community that has to deal with them.

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.