Is it Idiot Week on the roads?

By 1 November 2012 190

Is there some sort of driving Idiots convention going on in Canberra at the moment?

I’ve seen 8 P-Plate morons (all different ones) speeding around at about 20 km/h above traffic flow (way above the speed limit); two of them were red plates and three either almost rear-ended someone or swerved across traffic in a dangerous way.

The icing on the cake was some drugged-out tradie in a van that couldn’t keep his lane, stalled the van at some traffic lights, and generally shouldn’t have been on the road.

When I watch this I really wonder what good those stationary white vans do for the community when there are all these morons ripe for the picking.

Please login to post your comments
190 Responses to Is it Idiot Week on the roads?
#61
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd11:45 pm, 03 Nov 12

EvanJames said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Hey know, don’t you know that’s not only dangerous but also illegal? You are not allowed in the right hand lane unless its to speed or tailgate.

Winning comment!

Ever noticed how tailgaters indicate constantly? It’s weird but true.

Maybe they think the magic indicator fairy will force the person in front to change OUT OF THEIR FUCKEN LANE

#62
Genie12:40 am, 04 Nov 12

What I don’t understand at the moment is how blind Canberra drivers are… either that or extremely ignorant / selfish….

How many more signs do they need to say this lane closes ! Esp on Barry Dr at the Uni and around on Parkes Way. You have about 100+ metres after the signage saying your lane will end yet they alway wait until the last second and usually swing across into the only lane without indicating… they are of course driving well above the 40km posted limit too, so they almost rear end the car in front of them.

I will admit I took great pleasure in laughing my arse off the other week at the car that drive straight into those tall “witches hats” on Parkes Way exiting the tunnel during evening peak hour. Clearly they didn’t see the lane closed sign coz they got super excited when the “slow” car pulled into the active lane – they then sped up and then slammed on their brakes when they hit the witches hats. Pretty sure those things usually have poles in them. I giggled the whole way home over seeing that !!!!

#63
bundah9:06 am, 04 Nov 12

Genie said :

‘tall witches hats’ as in delineator posts? Just plastic no sneaky surprises there.

#64
maxblues12:48 pm, 04 Nov 12

Thank goodness we will all soon be on the light rail and there will be no cars on the road.

#65
milkman5:42 pm, 26 Nov 12

Sunday afternoon heading south down the Parkway I saw a tray back ute tailgating and lane changing like a complete nutcase. Of course, he gets caught in traffic and the rest of us cruise up next to him. He then swerves to the right lane to get around a car in the middle, then cuts back across 3 lanes, barely making the left hand turn which was the reason for it.

Mr ac dc fuel saving – I’m talking to you!

#66
JimCharles6:57 pm, 26 Nov 12

knuckles said :

As explained to me when I did my advanced driver training (work required), we should keep scanning through the 9 scanning points (not in any particular order)
3 in front – 1 immediately, 1 further up the road, 1 checking in the distance up ahead
2 side mirrors
2 side windows
1 rear vision mirror
1 dashboard
Continually scanning through these points allows you to be aware of what is happening around you while on the road.
Also, maintain a crash avoidance space from the vehicle in front. e.g. leave enough space so you can safely manage any surprises that the vehicle in front may spring on you.

Do they teach any of that for standard driving in ACT?
I mean, it seems pretty normal to be constantly aware of your surroundings where i come from because there are lots more cars and generally more things happening (but i also rode a motorbike so I constantly check my blindspots having been knocked off once).
The driving over here seems pretty good with fabulous roads….but the bad drivers are absolutely horrendous though, not due to general skills but due to unbelievable ignorance.
People talking about slowing down to 30 in an 80 to stop tailgaters is just moronic, cops will take your license away in other countries for doing that just to get you off the roads for your own and everybody else’s safety, then make you attend a safety course which you must pass before you’re allowed to drive again?
There’s surely an expectation that drivers drive in the left lane and only use the overtaking lane to overtake…even if a good few Canberra drivers seem to be completely oblivious of the fact.
I can’t understand why they have so many divvy initiatives when the biggest problem (driver ignorance and lack of awareness) is staring everybody in the face on a daily basis.
Just get out of the way and if other people want to speed, let the cops and cameras deal with them.

#67
cranky7:48 pm, 26 Nov 12

I drove the Majura Road in peak hour this morning, fortunately heading north, and travelling at 80-90 K’s.

About the AFP site, I was amazed to see some joker in a new, high end, 4wd, travelling at about 40k’s southward.

He had about a half k gap between himself and the car in front, with traffic built up behind. By the time we got to the wineries, this traffic was built up and stop/start.

This motorist was a total stressraiser. Perhaps AFP could take him aside and reducate him. So glad I wasn’t behind him.

#68
KB19718:05 pm, 26 Nov 12

My moment today was on the Monaro Hwy. There was an accident between two trucks on the southbound lanes just up the hill from Isabella Dve roundabout. Ambos, fireies & cops were in attendance.

Looked like the bloke was in a pretty bad way.

So we all get down to the roundabout and I noticed an extraordinary amount of cars going straight through the roundabout, WTF?

Turns out, there was a copper blocking off the lanes and directing traffic to the roundabout but instead of people turning right they were going straight through. Don’t people think that maybe, just maybe they didn’t want you heading up the hill???? (the accident could be clearly seen from the roundabout).

The copper was wandering up to block the lane up but man people are stupid.

Five minutes later at the Tharwa Dve intersection heading to Quangers, there is a truck in the left lane, two cars in the right lane. Both cars ran the orange (it changed to red as the second car hit the line) despite not being able to see to the left because of the truck. I get there 2 seconds later and here is an ambulance trying to get through the intersection. Just as well he didn’t tear through as he would have collected the second car.

Extreme farktardary.

#69
FXST019:33 pm, 26 Nov 12

Every week is Idiot Week.

#70
Madam Cholet8:39 am, 27 Nov 12

I don’t know if it’s the time of year, but everyone on the roads seems to have gone a bit nutty. People tailgating to get one car in front of you, jumping into the left or right lane so they can peel off onto a slip road at the last second because they didn’t feel that they should go slightly slower in the correct line of traffic and wait their turn.

On the way to pick up my son yesterday I got to the roundabout at the bottom of Anzac parade – the one with all the traffic cones around it at the moment, and a ute came hurtling around from the other side, and you could see the driver could barely control the car. This was in a roadworks zone, where quite clearly there was work going on.

I’m not sure if anyone who drives like that has yet come up with a justification. Is everyone hurrying a wife who is about to give birth to the hospital? Actually, I’ve been in that situation and we still maintained the speed limit….much to my disappointment!

#71
KB19718:52 am, 27 Nov 12

Madam Cholet said :

I had two tailgaters this morning, let them both passed when the lanes split into two, I ended up in front of both of them at the end of my journey………….yes I mean you the blonde lady in the white Fairlane with Brumbies rego plates, you are supposed to indicate when you use an intersection, the only time I saw it on was when you wanted to cut across to my lane while I was beside you on Canberra ave……..

Jeez I prefer to ride or take the bus…………….

#72
Jim Jones9:07 am, 27 Nov 12

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

#73
Thumper9:26 am, 27 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

Got to agree with this.

I’m quite amazed at the number of people who do it. And no just sneaking across on an orange, but blatently driving through a red.

#74
bundah9:28 am, 27 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

In my experience it’s become commonplace and there’s rarely cops around to act as a deterrent. Disgusting

#75
cynical_rendering10:11 am, 27 Nov 12

Are P-plate drivers really that bad?

For every one P-plater driving like a yob there are dozens who drive sensibly and don’t bring attention to themselves.

Tennis balls (people wearing Hi-Vis) on the other hand….

#76
Jim Jones10:14 am, 27 Nov 12

bundah said :

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

Cops as deterrents is a pretty inefficient way to deal with the problem. There are a few key intersections (where Belconnen Way meets GDE, for example) where red light cameras would do a world of good.

#77
OpenYourMind10:35 am, 27 Nov 12

Everyone calling each other Einstein! Einstein didn’t drive, he rode a bicycle!

#78
OpenYourMind10:38 am, 27 Nov 12

Oh, and spend time in any city and you’ll hear the inhabitants of that city complaining about how terrible the drivers are in their city. What these people are really saying is that everyone else who drives is crap…but they are above average.

#79
Aeek10:48 am, 27 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Back in the day, all red light were equally important.. Now, some have cameras and the others get treated as optional.

#80
Madam Cholet1:02 pm, 27 Nov 12

Madam Cholet said :

Jeez I prefer to ride or take the bus…………….

In my experience bus drivers are the worst red light runners.

Actually, been thinking about the common misdemeanors that I see on the roads lately and wondering what the police could do to be more ‘pro-active’ about road safety and responsible driving.May be another discussion, but seeing as this one is popular again I’ll put it here.

My personal opinion is that they should ditch the dumb roadside ‘txt messages’ and perhaps actively police the roads a bit more in person. Failing that, how could they enact other education campaigns? Could cover anything from STAYING IN THE LEFT HAND LANE FOR GODS SAKE, or indicating before you commit to changing lanes – you know, some standard easy concept things that the majority of us would get.

TV, radio? Social Media? What works these days apart from a regular police presence which we would have to admit by now we are not going to get.

#81
Felix the Cat1:25 pm, 27 Nov 12

Thumper said :

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

Got to agree with this.

Were they wearing lycra and riding unregistered bicycles? Must of been because as we all know car drivers are all fine upstanding citizens and would never contemplate doing such a thing…

#82
rhino1:35 pm, 27 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

rhino said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

460cixy said :

Reminds me of almost everyday that I get tailgated and I just keep on slowing down until they stop doing it. Slowest I have got to is 30 in a 80 zone(hindmarsh stretch up the hill). Peeps soon learn not to tail gate this way.

And again you prove your an a grade dick

Explain.

Easy to explain. You are being an A-grade dick by slowing down to 30kph in an 80kph zone to be spiteful of someone who wanted to go fast in the fast lane while you were going slow in the fast lane. That is down right dangerous. It’s common for people to be going 20 over in the fast lane and you are going 50kph under. That’s a 70kph difference mostly attribuatable to your own arrogance and very likely to cause a collision if there is not a decent line of sight ahead on the road for some reason.

No Einstein, doing the speed limit in the right lane is not going slow. In fact it’s being safe to slow down if someone is tailgating you. It’s going to lessen the impact of any collision the tailgater may cause.

Btw, there is no such thing as a *fast lane* in this town.

If you read my comment or your own before that, you would know that we are talking about going 30kph in the right lane which is clearly one of the most dangerous things done in this thread. And as I said “That’s a 70kph difference mostly attributable to your own arrogance and very likely to cause a collision if there is not a decent line of sight ahead on the road for some reason”

#83
rhino1:40 pm, 27 Nov 12

Madam Cholet said :

Madam Cholet said :

Jeez I prefer to ride or take the bus…………….

In my experience bus drivers are the worst red light runners.

This. Staying in the appropriate lane at the time, indicating properly and being aware of all of the vehicles around you and the road ahead at all times. These things are probably the most key important things.

#84
farq2:50 pm, 27 Nov 12

I work with somebody who like CGN, likes to be an ass and block the overtaking lane (A Divine Righter). Last year he did it to wrong person and ended up being dragged out of his car at the lights and getting a fat lip and black eye for his troubles.

I’m not suprised. If you go around pissing people off on purpose, one day you will encounter someone who likes to solves things with violence.

#85
bundah2:58 pm, 27 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

bundah said :

Jim Jones said :

Running red lights seems to be a lot more common than it was back in the day.

Saw 4 people run reds this morning alone.

Yep totally agree,as i’ve said in previous posts, that we need a lot more red light/speed cameras(i can think of six locations just in the old south where they would be useful).Of course there is the other issue of attitudinal change in order to reduce the number of idiots running blatant red lights and driving through suburbs at excessive speed. No question that high visibility policing would be an additional burden on the taxpayer but it would go some way to modifying many peoples current attitude of i don’t give a fark.

#86
rhino3:27 pm, 27 Nov 12

I don’t know if it’s just a specific intersection thing but I haven’t seen anyone run red lights in a long time. Other than speeding up to make it through an orange light that is very orange and goes red very shortly after they cross the line sort of thing. Are you talking about that, or are people going through red lights long after they have gone fully red? Is this at 4am in the morning or something? Generally it’s not possible to go through a red light because the other cars are going through their green and are in the way.

#87
KB19713:43 pm, 27 Nov 12

rhino said :

I am mainly talking about just after or on the line. I have seen a few people just drive off from reg lights but that is rare, same as cyclists (& I ride quite a bit), if a cyclist pulls up in the cycle lane at the red light, it is rare that they move on, what is more common is the footpath going cyclists to do whatever they want because they think they are pedestrians.

Having said that, pedestrians ignore everything too, riding into work, it is amazing the amount of pedestrians who just walk off the gutter when you are riding towards them & just look at you when you have a go at them. Nortbourne ave is a classic, so many people walk against the red light.

#88
Jim Jones4:15 pm, 27 Nov 12

rhino said :

I see a stack – at least one a day. Belconnen Way turning onto the GDE is a real doozy (it’s not uncommon to have a green light, but have to wait for someone who has gunned a very late orange and is coming through a very very very red light), but they’re all over the shop.

It’s always people who see an orange light and fang it to make it through, but end up going through red lights. A three-year-old could tell you that an orange light means ‘slow down there’s a red light coming, stop unless it’s dangerous to do otherwise’, but the current thinking on the road seems to be “Orange = drive as fast as you possibly can to get through.

It’s not ‘the light turned red after I’d passed it’, it’s very much people driving really farking fast through red lights after the orange has run out.

#89
Spykler4:29 pm, 27 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

rhino said :

ay.

‘Current thinking’?????- How long have you been driving in this town?

#90
bundah5:03 pm, 27 Nov 12

rhino said :

I regularly witness farktards who blatantly accelerate to beat the red light.The problem is that their judgement is atrocious and many of them are playing russian roulette.Depending on the intersection there is usually a 2-3 second delay between the lights turning red in one direction and getting the green in the other direction.So what i am referring to is getting a green light and then having a farktard tearing through the intersection just as i’m about to accelerate throught the green light.I witness this farktardary daily from cars,heavy vehicles and even the odd bus.It’s bloody dangerous and these farktards deserve a flogging!

Get Premium Membership

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.