Is it Idiot Week on the roads?

By 1 November 2012 190

Is there some sort of driving Idiots convention going on in Canberra at the moment?

I’ve seen 8 P-Plate morons (all different ones) speeding around at about 20 km/h above traffic flow (way above the speed limit); two of them were red plates and three either almost rear-ended someone or swerved across traffic in a dangerous way.

The icing on the cake was some drugged-out tradie in a van that couldn’t keep his lane, stalled the van at some traffic lights, and generally shouldn’t have been on the road.

When I watch this I really wonder what good those stationary white vans do for the community when there are all these morons ripe for the picking.

Please login to post your comments
190 Responses to Is it Idiot Week on the roads?
#181
rhino11:44 am, 14 Dec 12

Madam Cholet said :

Sadly their subsequent poor lane choice hampered their efforts and they remained back with the pack.

A rookie mistake

#182
Madam Cholet12:13 pm, 14 Dec 12

rhino said :

Madam Cholet said :

A rookie mistake

Sadly no. This common error also extends to driver of flash Holden or Ford Utes.

#183
Kiron222212:28 pm, 14 Dec 12

One I have noticed recently is that lots of people seem to be doing 10-20 under the speed limit everywhere.

That or my speedometer is broken, but I don’t think because people still regularly overtake me when I am doing the speed limit.

#184
BimboGeek1:49 pm, 14 Dec 12

“You went too slow and I had to tailgate you!
“You tailgated me so I had to go slower!”
“Drivers are too slow, I’m always overtaking the dangerous idiots!”
“Drivers are too fast, they are always overtaking me in a dangerous way!”

Why can’t you idiots mind your own business and focus on what you can do to make the roads safer?

Sent from my iphone.

#185
Innovation2:25 pm, 14 Dec 12

Amazing thread but let’s keep going…..

A, let’s say, 30 km/h difference between slight speeders and slow drivers is really not that big a deal. Sure it’s irritating but unless you’re doing a long trip it really won’t affect your travel time by much longer than the TV commercial segment that you watch (or whatever other “acceptable” time wasting activity that you do) when you get to your destination.

Tailgating is a big no no but so is driving slowly “to teach the tailgaters a lesson”, driving in the right hand lane when not legally allowed, passing on the left when not allowed and driving too slowly anywhere “without reasonable excuse”. I haven’t looked but I imagine the penalties for these offences probably are similar too.

Driving in the left lane wherever possible is courteous but not always mandatory. It is courteous also if you are driving too slowly, but with “reasonable excuse”, to pull to the left or off the road altogether to let others past. However, this is not mandatory either and it is not for other drivers to judge what is considered too slow or what would be an unreasonable excuse.

Many posters here seem to ascribe to the view that two wrongs (one of which might be discourteous but not actually a wrong) make a right.

#186
ex-vectis5:32 pm, 14 Dec 12

Just remember the the ACT Legislature (all parties – not just the incumbant) itself helps keep the idiots on the road.

The CTP insurance is the same for everyone; whether you have the maximum number of speeding points on your licence with a couple of drink-driving convictions or a 100% clean license and 20 years experience. The lower risk drivers who keep to speed limits and are careful on the roads are subsidising the accident-waiting-to-happen idiots we see everyday.

Here is a quote from ACT Treasury Directorate’s Director of Legal and Insurance Policy, Tom McDonald; ‘…risk based pricing would simply result in a substantial increase in the premiums payable by high risk groups…’. If that wasn’t such a damning admission that the current CTP is subsidising the idiots who kill and mame then it would be hilarious.

#187
KB19719:27 pm, 14 Dec 12

RiotFrog said :

KB1971 said :

No can do, ADR13/00 says the stop lamps must be applied with the brakes or some other retardation device.

Interestingly, the ADR (49/00) actually says “”Stop-lamp” means the lamp used to indicate to other road-users to the rear of the vehicle that its driver is applying the service brake; the stop-lamps may be activated by the application of a retarder or a similar device;”

Wonder if there’s a distinction between “may” and “must”? Hmmm….

If we are playing semantics, here are the exact words for ADR 13/00:

6.7.7. Electrical connections

Must light up when the service brake is applied. The stop lamps need not function if the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which makes it impossible for the engine to operate.

The stop lamps may be activated by the application of a retarder or a similar device.

It does say ‘may’, that is why I said ‘or’.

ADR49 though is a test on the lights performance, not the operational requirements. That is the job of ADR13.

#188
milkman7:20 am, 15 Dec 12

BimboGeek said :

“You went too slow and I had to tailgate you!
“You tailgated me so I had to go slower!”
“Drivers are too slow, I’m always overtaking the dangerous idiots!”
“Drivers are too fast, they are always overtaking me in a dangerous way!”

Sent from my iphone.

Indeed. Focus on what you’re doing and leave the righteous indignation out of it and we’ll all have a safer and easier time on the roads.

#189
The Traineediplomat11:33 pm, 20 Dec 12

Is Comic and Gamer Nerd = Ken Olsen? If so + a million!!!

#190
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd6:43 am, 21 Dec 12

The Traineediplomat said :

Is Comic and Gamer Nerd = Ken Olsen? If so + a million!!!

IDK who that even is!!!

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.