Joy Burch has announced Labors plans for arts with an effort to kill poetry slams by bringing them within the dead embrace of government:
if re-elected ACT Labor will provide $5.83 million over four years to deliver nation-leading arts facilities for the future, protect and celebrate our finest cultural assets and better engage our young people in the arts.
ACT Labor will:
– Deliver $4 million over four years to develop the Kingston arts precinct and Ainslie Arts Centre
– Invest $1 million over two years to upgrade to the Gorman House Arts Centre
– Provide $750,000 for a feasibility, site selection and design study into building a new theatre
– Make poetry more accessible to young Canberrans with $10,000 Poetry Slam competitions in the north and south
– Bring back the Fringe Festival to Canberra’s CBD from next year