“Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?

By 14 January 2013 82

only in canberra

The “Like Canberra” website is looking for votes having proudly taken in the public’s nominations.

[The tiled interface is a particular mess, because the world loves Windows 8 right? (er...)]

I was intrigued by the “Only in Canberra” tile. And what a cornucopia of bollocks it is!

Is this really the best we can do?

Highlights for mine include:

– Dress up parties
    – The Canberra Times
    – volunteering
    – grand architecture
    – Canberra is a global village
    – Pretty City

I’m buggered if I can see anything there that is completely unique to Canberra.

Anyone else waded deep enough into the website to find any other gems?

Please login to post your comments
82 Responses to “Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?
#31
Girt_Hindrance8:32 pm, 14 Jan 13

bigfeet said :

dpm said :

EvanJames said :

And why 100? Artibrary number. Why not 50? or 35? Or all the good ones?

Centenary?

Well the original media release and the website both said you would be able to vote for ALL submissions.

I can’t seem to find the ones I submitted in relation to the lax and inefficient justice system.

Hahahaha! Gold.

#32
GardeningGirl9:28 pm, 14 Jan 13

Canberra-only events. Carols by Candlelight and fireworks. Dunno what I’ve been watching on tv from interstate then?

#33
vulpior10:20 pm, 14 Jan 13

poetix said :

Oh God! I just inadvertently voted for ‘the odd mix of establishments in Fyshwick’. I clicked the square thinking it would open up with more information. That’s one way to get votes.

You’re not the only one!

#34
flyingpuck10:49 pm, 14 Jan 13

Another gem from the site, under ‘Multiculturalism’:
“Being free to wear my burqa”.
Yup, I can definitely relate to that one…
Maybe this is one of those marketing ploys where they deliberately make the content groan-inducing to polarise and inspire debate and discussion about a certain topic? At least we’re talking about the Centenary, right?

#35
poetix11:26 pm, 14 Jan 13

Under ‘Infrastructure’ it says, rather strangely, ‘The best universities in Canberra!’ You don’t need a degree to see that was meant to say Australia, and probably will, very soon.

#36
PantsMan7:01 am, 15 Jan 13

I clicked on “Politics and Government” and was confronted with

* “Leading the Nation on climate change”
* “Open government”
* “Having our own Legislative Assembly”
* “Government departments are of a high quality” and
* “Andrew Barr”.

I could not find “A Fabian socialist government that co-opts the Centenary of Canberra it inflict Goebbels-esque propaganda upon the seemingly acquiescent citizenry, while fudging hospital waiting list data”, so I didn’t vote.

#37
NoAddedMSG7:34 am, 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

where”s the Manuka being pronounced marnika option i thought that would get into quirky stuff :(

Today I had a chat with a person in NZ who checked his Maori dictionary, and ‘Marnika’ is the correct pronunciation. The choice of name dates back to when it looked like NZ might join Australia. Pakeha often stuff it up in NZ, too.

Sorry, can’t let that one stand….. The Canberran “Marnika” is not remotely close to how the Maori word is pronounced. I would be highly suss of NZer who had to consult a Maori dictionary for pronounciation anyway, because of the way the written language works once you know a few basic rules it is possible to accurately pronounce pretty much every word including the ones you haven’t encountered before. The main bit is the vowel sounds which differ to how they are in English, and they are drilled in at primary school through a series of songs which stick in your head forever.

I am now going to go and walk the dog, singing “Oma r?peti, oma r?peti, Oma, oma, oma, Oma r?peti, oma r?peti” as I go…….

#38
Deref8:10 am, 15 Jan 13

miz said :

And FWIW, I agree with the general ‘god what a horrible website’ comments.

Clearly designed by someone who’s fallen deeply in love with Microsoft’s Metro interface.

#39
Thumper8:11 am, 15 Jan 13

This really is pointlessly braindead.

I mean seriously,you can do pretty much all of these things anywhere.

Well, except like Charny.

#40
Loxmyf8:29 am, 15 Jan 13

Where’s the “Swideswipin’ cyclists in muh Tradie ute”?

But I guess categorisation would be an issue. Does it fit in Cultural vibe, Canberra-only events, Lots to do, Sporting events, Family fun, or Opportunities?

#41
Ben_Dover8:44 am, 15 Jan 13

Can we have a concerted and organised effort by the Riotact faithful to guarantee that the most ridiculous choices make it to the top.

#42
poetix10:15 am, 15 Jan 13

NoAddedMSG said :

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

Fair enough, I will tell my friend how sus his grasp of Maori is! On top of the Black Caps, too.

#43
p110:27 am, 15 Jan 13

My favourites so far:

Ease of Living: Sense of entitlement

Although I have just realised that if you click “View all responses” you get a list, but you can only vote on the ones that come up in the stupid squares. Shame.

#44
Chop7110:36 am, 15 Jan 13

Where is the RiotACT tab?

#45
johnboy10:37 am, 15 Jan 13

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

Either we’re not the shameless self promoters of the gray media (CT and 2CC), or we were culled in the laughable editorial process!

#46
Roundhead8911:11 am, 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

You’ve got that totally wrong. The NZ version is not Manuka but Manakau, pronounced “Manna-cow”. It is a suburb of Auckland. Manuka is a tree, pronounced manooka, as is the honey from the tree’s flowers.

#47
Brandi11:20 am, 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

Looks like a standard mudmap of public submissions – plenty of dupes and typos and yes, some of it is poorly categorised. To be fair it’s a positive message and it’s opened my eyes to a few things I didn’t know about.

#48
EvanJames11:30 am, 15 Jan 13

What is canberra good at? Tailgating!

#49
DrKoresh11:43 am, 15 Jan 13

The one about Bumping into the Prime Minister makes me want to puke in my mouth. This list is making us look a bunch of bumpkins, only worse, because it makes us look like pretentious hipster-bumpkins.

#50
poetix11:55 am, 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

#51
Sic11:59 am, 15 Jan 13

These people were walking up to randoms in Garema Place and putting them on the spot about their favourite thing about Canberra. Everyone I saw them ask struggled with an answer and then came up with something crap.

#52
johnboy12:00 pm, 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

Well we didn’t enter ourselves, so who knows?

#53
poetix12:02 pm, 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

poetix said :

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

Well we didn’t enter ourselves, so who knows?

There may be some rioters who are sucks, but certainly not those of us who reside in inner north areas with a vibrant fixie-riding youth culture with our own shop…

#54
muscledude_oz2:27 pm, 15 Jan 13

Roundhead89 said :

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

You have that partially right. There are actually *two* very similarly-named places on the North Island of NZ. Manukau (or Manukau City) is the suburb of Auckland while Manakau is a small town between Palmerston North and Wellington. That must cause a bit of confusion over there.

#55
MissChief2:41 pm, 15 Jan 13

Is this part of the whole “vote for the top 100 things you like about Canberra and we’ll give you access to them during the centenary year” campaign? I’m having a quiet giggle to myself visualising everyone on buses being given the grand tour of Charnwood before being taken out to the odd establishments in Fyshwick. But seriously, how pathetic. We get a load of money to have centenary celebrations and we come up with this rubbish. How much did the junket last year gouge from the budget? Can we not do anything right?

#56
Pirate_Biggles2:52 pm, 15 Jan 13

No National Folk Festival I notice.

#57
johnboy3:35 pm, 15 Jan 13

I think I saw the folkie in there…

But so hard to tell with the absence of a consistent taxonomy.

#58
Pirate_Biggles3:48 pm, 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

I think I saw the folkie in there…

But so hard to tell with the absence of a consistent taxonomy.

Ahh, it is under ‘cultural events’… not ‘Festivals’. How interesting.

#59
rosscoact5:05 pm, 15 Jan 13

DrKoresh said :

:-D

#60
PantsMan6:41 pm, 15 Jan 13

Managed to put 3 votes in for “Andrew Barr” already. Anyone got a spare BotNet?

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.