Chief Minister Stanhope has announced the change we’ve been waiting for in Canberra’s taxi fleet.
The key measures are:
- – the release of at least 25 new standard taxi plates and four new wheelchair taxi plates in 2011;
– annual increases in taxi licence numbers to ensure that taxi supply meets demand;
– the introduction of a centralised booking service for wheelchair-accessible taxis to improve reliability and service quality;
– improving taxi driver training standards; and
– enhancing compliance activity to ensure high standards of service to taxi users.
Mr Stanhope added, “I understand there may not be unanimous support for some of the recommendations coming out of the review.
“However, I look forward to continuing to work with the industry and taxi user groups to implement the review outcomes as effectively as possible. It is in the interests of all parties that we have an efficient, reliable and viable taxi industry and work collaboratively to achieve that.”
Is there anything he’s missed?
UPDATE: The source documents are available now: