Mother’s Day is only days away…have you worked out how you’re going to say thank you to the mum in your life?
Here are some suggestions for things to do and things to give this Sunday, 8 May..all of which you can find around the region or with the click of a mouse!
THINGS TO DO
In The Can
It’s hard to go past the original High Tea at The Hyatt for an indulgent Mother’s Day treat. An amazing array of sweet and savoury morsels are served between 2:30 pm and 5:00 pm daily.
The Lobby is holding a luncheon for the “Friends of Old Parliament House Rose Gardens” to raise funds to set up a website for the Rose Gardens. $80 gets you a three course meal including wine, beer and softies and a walk and talk among the roses.
Or, after a day with the kids, why not get a sitter and celebrate Mother’s Day with a four course dinner at Bicicletta. $65pp set menu with wine.
Get Out of Town
Murrumbateman’s Flint in the Vines has champagne breakfast for $30 per person and, from midday til 2.00pm, will serve a three course lunch menu for $65pp.
The Carrington Innin Bungendore are serving breakfast (8am – 11am for $25pp), an indulgent three-course lunch (12pm to 2:30pm for $58 pp) and High Tea (1pm to 3pm for $38pp).
A little bit different
Hop the Mother’s Day Brunch Train to Bungendore from Kingston Railway Station and enjoy a two course brunch, combined with a scenic train journey through the hills near Canberra. Trip runs from 10:30am – 2pm and is $69 for adults and $25 for kids.
3Seeds at Majura Park has gourmet Mother’s Day picnic hampers. Order by this Friday 6 May and pick up by 11am on Sunday…they come ready to eat, complete with cutlery and napkins! They also have a lovely range of gift baskets filled with a variety of gourmet delights, including their own 3seeds jams & relishes.
If you’re aftersomething for the family, get along to Glebe Park for Party in The Park between 11am and 3pm. The party will feature great live music and dance shows, market stalls, special giveaways and pampering opportunities for mum.
Children of all ages can plant a tree for mum this Mother’s Day with Trees For Mum. For those whose mums have died, it’s a chance to remember and to create a living memorial. Canberrans can plant a tree for mum in the Lower Cotter Catchment Area. Find out more.
If you prefer pounding the pavement to breakfast in bed, why not take part in the Mother’s Day Classic fun run and walk, and raise funds for breast cancer research at the same time.
5. A gorgeous vintage frock from Material Pleasures in Fyshwick (and the Kingston Markets on a Sunday). You can pick up everything from Willow to Wayne Cooper, Lilya to Lanvin without the hefty price tag.
6. A cute Kikay design from Shop Handmade in Civic. Shop Handmade is great for finding something original and for supporting local and emerging designers.
7. An amazing accessory from www.mimco.com.au or the Mimco concept store in the Canberra Centre. Get some perfect leather gloves or a new season hat (with some for under $60!)
8. A gift voucher for a special spa treatment at Soma in New Acton, which can be tailored to make it a memorable Mother’s Day experience. Pick it up direct from Soma or at their new online store at www.soma.net.au.
9. A custom chocolate lovers box from Koko Black. Boxes start from under $5 for a sweet treat and range up to over $100 for the serious chocoholic!
10. And last but not least, the perfect quirky card from www.uponafold.com.au. Items ship within 1-4 days and the site also stocks beautiful notebooks and stationery.
Personally, I plan to ask for the no-cost gift of an uninterrupted day in which to curl up with a good book. Some blissful ‘me time’ beats a box of chocolates any day!