Advertisement

Mouse “pesticide block” fumes?

By 26 September 2011 11

When the most recent mouse plague was hitting Canberra, maybe a few months back now, we had mice in our ceiling.  A pesticide company came and essentially threw mice “pesticide blocks” in the ceiling . (I later learnt can can be bought at Bunning’s). Anyway, the mice soon either died or left the ceiling so they did their job.

However, since then, I’ve been sensitive to some fumes in the house and have been getting headaches. While the fumes/smells could be from neighbours fires (being Winter), I’m just wondering if these pesticide blocks give off any nasty odours that make people a bit nauseous. My gf doesn’t notice anything, but there’s 100% something in the air and if it’s toxic I need to know.

Any advice much appreciated.

Please login to post your comments
11 Responses to Mouse “pesticide block” fumes?
#1
EvanJames8:49 am, 26 Sep 11

I’ve used various mouse blocks (rat bags etc) and have issues with fumes, and have never noticed any with these things. However ! If they’re up in your roof, then the heat might be doing something. Do you know for sure they’re still up there? Whenever I’ve used rat baits, they all get eaten.

Has your GF changed perfume recently? Or have you started using some new cleaning product/home scenting product/new furniture? anyone painting next door or laying carpet? All these things contain chemicals that can set of chemical sensitivity. Fumes in the roof would have to make their way down from there, so they’d have to be pretty strong.

#2
Spectra10:36 am, 26 Sep 11

It’s likely that the rodenticide used in those blocks is Bromadiolone. It basically acts as an anti-coagulant and the animals eventually die from internal haemorrhaging (not a very pleasant way to go, but I’m not judging – I use the stuff myself when I’ve had mice that are too smart to get trapped). The PDS for that substance doesn’t suggest any nasty fumes being given off, except in the case of the stuff actually being burnt. And in baits, you’re looking at a concentration of 0.005% anyway – the vast majority of those blocks are harmless stuff to make them tasty to rodents (and other animals, so take care with them). So unless the blocks are on fire, or you’ve been crushing them up and sniffing them, it’s pretty unlikely you troubles stem from them.

#3
GardeningGirl1:48 pm, 26 Sep 11

The baits, which work by ingestion not release of fumes, don’t sound like the likeliest source to me either. Is it possible the pest controller took the opportunity to spray anything while he was up there?
Interesting that like EvanJames I wondered if you have any new furniture, I know of a number of possible problems there, and you might be in that very small minority of people that can sense low levels of certain chemicals. The other suggestions are good too.

#4
Grail2:59 pm, 26 Sep 11

Other sources of fumes in the house could be mouldy onions, charring plastic on consumer grade power cords, or dead mice rotting in the roof space.

#5
EvanJames3:17 pm, 26 Sep 11

Grail said :

Other sources of fumes in the house could be mouldy onions, charring plastic on consumer grade power cords, or dead mice rotting in the roof space.

Heh, I’ve been wondering if the toxic fumes are dead mice rotting in the roof space. Eye-watering, that can be…

#6
sarahsarah4:01 pm, 26 Sep 11

As other have said, it’s not likely to be the blocks themselves. Has you or your GF changed washing powders recently? My other half was getting awful headaches and after trying a few things we realised it was the washing powder scent that was giving him the issue. Switched to the sensitive stuff and lo, no more headaches. His mum gets headaches from most (cheap) perfumes so I guess it makes sense.

Also, it sounds silly but it may be worth getting your eyes checked – they could be eye strain headaches, which I suffered from as well until I purchased some spectacles.

Hope you figure it out – they are no fun!

#7
lucifige6:10 pm, 02 Oct 11

many thanks for all of your replies.

I think it’s most likely not the mouse baits. The levels of any fumes/nasties coming off is very low in concentration and it’s likely they have degraded by now anyway.

The headaches/smells etc have continued however. I did however not something significant and very telling. Over this weekend, we have totally aired the place out; taking advantage of the winds. The smells which present yest morning, were ripped out of the house within 30mins and it smelt totally fresh with no hint of the smell. Later that day, we put our ducted gas-heating back on and soon after I realised I could smell it all again. So either there’s something released by the ducted gas, or perhaps its moving dust or equivalent around that’s doing it to me. Still, ….my gf, cant smell anything. There’s no way it could be carbon monoxide could it?? I guess if I had to put my finger on anything I would suspect a dust related issue that I’m sensitive too :( Just wish i knew what it was!!

#8
EvanJames9:42 am, 03 Oct 11

It’s fumes of some kind, I’m almost certain, and it might be gas. When I was tested for allergies many years ago, one of the bad ones was gas, or the stuff they put in it to make it smell, can’t remember which. You might want to have the seals on your gas thing checked for leaks… you might be the canary in the coal mine, detecting a problem before others are aware of it.

#9
lucifuge4:20 pm, 27 Oct 11

got the ducted gas heating serviced today and told him I’d been smelling something that had been giving me headaches etc. So just if he saw anything to let me know

Said he found a gas leak that was there since original installation!!!!…………

EvanJames said :

It’s fumes of some kind, I’m almost certain, and it might be gas. When I was tested for allergies many years ago, one of the bad ones was gas, or the stuff they put in it to make it smell, can’t remember which. You might want to have the seals on your gas thing checked for leaks… you might be the canary in the coal mine, detecting a problem before others are aware of it.

#10
EvanJames4:27 pm, 27 Oct 11

Wow, you were the canary! Good thing you mentioned it to the bloke or he might not have spotted it.

#11
lucifuge5:10 pm, 27 Oct 11

EvanJames said :

Wow, you were the canary! Good thing you mentioned it to the bloke or he might not have spotted it.

roger that. so good to find out I wasn’t going crazy.

………..actually, THAT still remains to be tested

Follow
Follow The RiotACT
Get Premium Membership
Advertisement

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Advertisement
Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.