Parking, Parents with Prams Style

By 12 November 2012 156

pram spot

More often than not when I go to park in the Parents with Pram spots they are taken by people with no baby seat/capsule attachments on the back seat. I am used to seeing this disregard with legally designated parking like disabled spots so I don’t even blink when it comes to Parents with Prams. Yet this car today made me do a double take. The owners can’t even pretend to passing cars that there could possibly be a baby seat in it (unlike the equally guilty Hyandai Elantra that was parked in the other occupied spot).

Before I am called all sorts of charming names by trolls, in this particular instance we are talking about three modest Parents with Pram spots on the top level of the Canberra Centre carpark near Dendy. It is hardly a takeover from fascist NIMBY breeders.

And there is a purpose to these spots – they are wider than the standard spot so you can open the door enough to get a baby capsule out or an unwieldy toddler into a pram. I have learnt from experience that if all that is left are narrow spots with poles in them then its best to just drive out, as that capsule ain’t moving anywhere.

So to all those people out there who park in Parents with Prams and think they aren’t inconveniencing anyone, think again. It’s not nice manners!

Please login to post your comments
156 Responses to Parking, Parents with Prams Style
#61
Pork Hunt6:58 pm, 12 Nov 12

esp said :

gazket said :

We need Man buying beer parking too.

Will you marry me ?

Do I get a look in, you harlot? :-)

#62
dixyland7:21 pm, 12 Nov 12

I rarely even bother trying to try to park in those parents car parks myself, I just try and get any car park I can at most shopping centres and just walk with the pram the rest of the way. I prefer to save those for the infirm or lazy. Saying that, I think you’re a scumbag if you park there if you don’t have kids with you or are picking them up. I bet the same oxygen thieves park in Disabled carparks.

#63
seanneko7:32 pm, 12 Nov 12

I love parents with prams spots. I can park right next to the door while everyone else circles around looking for another spot.

We never had them when I was a kid (and I’m only in my 20s), nor did we have things like 40km/h school zones, but there was obviously such a huge massacre of children that we had to bring it all in.

I propose using cotton wool rather than concrete in new car parks. If anyone trips over, they’re less likely to hurt themselves.

#64
caf8:08 pm, 12 Nov 12

I’ve observed in the past that only two types of people park in the Parents With Prams spots: those wrangling children, and jerks. Being that jerks outnumber everyone else in the population by a large margin, this means that most people parking there are jerks, and so to a first approximation such spots are essentially Reserved Jerk Parking.

#65
Piratepete8:09 pm, 12 Nov 12

I cannot believe the amount of hate there seems to be against people who have kids on here. What a bitter view on life you people must have.

I park in PWP spots when available (I have a 4 yo and 2yo) due to the fact I feel safe in the knowledge that my 2 yo can sit in the pram at the side of the car while my 4yo gets in and I buckle him up, rather than leaving the pram at the rear of the car to possibly get hit by someone driving too close or on their mobile phone and not watching properly.

I always try to park next to an empty spot in normal width carparks for a bit more room. I don’t mind walking the extra amount its more about having the room to get kids/shopping/pram in safely.

Its just inconsiderate and selfish if you park in one of these spots without needing the extra space for a reason. Imagine if we all just parked wherever we want – do you really have to have the threat of being booked to stop doing it or would these people just park where ever they like regardless anyway?

Just drive up onto the sidewalk in front of woolies if you are truly that lazy and have a such a disregard for anyone but you.

So much for the ‘it takes a village to raise a child’.

#66
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd8:24 pm, 12 Nov 12

Evil_Kitten said :

Pitchka said :

You make a great point, i digress. From now on, spots reserved for Senior Citizens are no longer for the elderly. Here i come!!!! And if anyone says anything, ill be sure to remind them that being old does not entitle you to special parking privelages, i should not be inconvenienced.

I wasn’t aware there were spots reserved for senior citizens per se. I was aware that being old often exposes people to conditions that render them disabled (i.e. many users of disabled spots happen to be elderly) but I wasn’t aware people were getting special spots based purely on their age. I was about to ask how such a thing could be policed, but suppose people like the OP, who were checking for anchor points on the alfa, would take it upon themselves to check the ID of anyone getting out of a car that didn’t bear the requisite physical hallmarks of such advanced aged (Given I didn’t know these spots existed, I obviously don’t know what that age is).

But in any case, if an elderly person had mobility issues, this would be covered under the disability scheme.

In that basis, since mobility challenged individuals are already catered for, I agree that there should not be parking reserved for seniors who are otherwise mobile, i.e. based purely on the fact they are seniors.

The only place I have seen them is in the underground car park at Manuka under Coles. Perhaps there’s a lot of oldies around Manuka/Red Hill.

As for the PWP, I won’t park in them because I like to do the right thing, but I would suggest that if parents really need the extra room and safety that there are always alternatives, this is Canberra after all. For example, at Woden, park in the original multi story car park up the top. Half the spots are always empty. Enter via David Jones. I would say there is a similar alternative at most shopping centres. It’s not like you’re trying to park on George Street in Sydney.

SHHHHHHH DON’T GIVE THIS GEM OF A SPOT AWAY!!!

#67
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd8:27 pm, 12 Nov 12

schmeah said :

esp said :

Pitchka said :

esp said :

Pitchka said :

………………….

Did someone say something ?

It’s amazing anyone pre 1990 is still alive…. like all those safety issues …… dropping balls, running through the house with scissors, eating lead paint ….. OMFG ……

Plenty of typing, not much TALKING. Derrrrrr.

Read….. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1370.0~2010~Chapter~Road%20safety%20%284.9.2%29

My bad. It’s for the greater good, is that too much talking for you ?

It’s not for the greater good.

Firstly I don’t accept the premise that these new spaces are required for safety, what is required is the same common sense by everybody that allowed previous generations to survive without “PWP” spaces.

Secondly, even if it is a safety issue, don’t for a second pretend it is society’s problem. Breeding creates purely private benefits for parents, and externalises costs (of which this is just one more) on the rest of the population. We don’t really need children from any societal perspective. It is far more efficient to import fully grown, and healthy, labour units from overseas and have then turn up ready to work and pay taxes.

So speaking for myself, feel free not to do me any favours.

Excellent point … (I will digress a bit) .. while I’m not begrudging anyone the right to have children, it does bother me that when we;re told the baby bonus is for, amongst other reasons, boosting productivity via population .. why do we persist in making adoption so freaking impossible. People spend years, and thousands of dollars in chasing red tape and meeting eligibility just to be able to adopt a child from a neglectful/abusive Australian family or from a life in an orphanage overseas; wouldn’t these children make excellent citizens too if they were given every opportunity to excel in the right environment? Instead citizens who willy-nilly pump a couple out, nearly all with the best intentions of course, are given a couple of grand each time. The message seems to be take the hand-out no matter what .. the rest of you get in line with the hundreds of others who will wait years for a much wanted baby. Although you talk about ‘fully grown people’ .. maybe my point is relevant still.

Noting this isn’t a policy forum .. end spray.

This I am down with. Completely agree.

#68
niknak8:59 pm, 12 Nov 12

#firstworldproblem

#69
thatsnotme9:49 pm, 12 Nov 12

niknak said :

#firstworldproblem

Feel free to move to the 3rd world, so you don’t have to suffer through these issues any longer.

#70
Henry8210:16 pm, 12 Nov 12

having kids is an option, being disabled (generally) isn’t.

#71
TheDancingDjinn10:20 pm, 12 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

schmeah said :

esp said :

Pitchka said :

esp said :

Pitchka said :

………………….

Did someone say something ?

Plenty of typing, not much TALKING. Derrrrrr.

My bad. It’s for the greater good, is that too much talking for you ?

It’s not for the greater good.

So speaking for myself, feel free not to do me any favours.

Noting this isn’t a policy forum .. end spray.

This I am down with. Completely agree.

I agree about the adoption thing, but I’d like to point out that adopters get the baby bonus too and paid parental leave and all the goodies those who have birthed naturally get ( and I like that they do, I wouldn’t have it any other way).
Adoption from places such a Vietnam are quite good to adopt from as our country allows those children, also children from Korea, but you have to be very wealthy to adopt from Korea.

I happen to know all this because I was told I could not have babies of my own….. It just do happens that I found out later that they were wrong as I was 27 weeks pregnant

#72
Charlie5710:45 pm, 12 Nov 12

devils_advocate said :

It’s not for the greater good.

I concede that they aren’t _required_ for safety. I do think they enhance safety – would you agree, or do you contend that they are 100% a convenience thing?

Did you grow up wearing seatbelts? Did your parents? Do you wear one now? Sometimes, we introduce new safety concepts (and new concepts in general) that weren’t around in previous generations. That doesn’t mean we are getting soft, or that the previous generations worked miracles by surviving, it just means that someone had a new idea.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow. If you are importing fully grown people in to your society, you realise that they were once children too? You realise that your society still requires children to be born, you just don’t want anything to do with them for the first 16-18 years?

Wow.

#73
Evil_Kitten11:04 pm, 12 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

SHHHHHHH DON’T GIVE THIS GEM OF A SPOT AWAY!!!

LOL sorry. I figured there’s plenty of room there for everyone. My other secret spots around town, however, I’m keeping to myself!

#74
bigfeet6:37 am, 13 Nov 12

Charlie57 said :

…. you just don’t want anything to do with them for the first 16-18 years?

Sounds like heaven.

#75
Sic7:52 am, 13 Nov 12

schmeah said :

I’d have more sympathy if half the parents with prams I saw getting about didn’t have a car the size of Texas .. impossible for anyone, pram or not, get in or out of while staying within the yellow lines and not hitting bollards.

But but… They waited until they were 45 to have children? How dare you suggest that someone with a toddler should be physically capable of bending their back to pick them up from a sedan!?

Seriously though, what a non issue. The people worked up about parents with pram parking must be the same idiots that drive around in circles trying to get a spot as close to the door as possible, while I park in the back row and walk into the centre in half the time.

#76
dpm7:54 am, 13 Nov 12

devils_advocate said :

….We don’t really need children from any societal perspective. It is far more efficient to import fully grown, and healthy, labour units from overseas and have then turn up ready to work and pay taxes….

In all my time on RA, this is perhaps the most amazingly impressive comment I have ever seen!
Yes! Let’s sterilise the Aus. adult popn and just import ‘fully grown, healthy labour units’ when we get old and need the next generation to look after us and keep the country going!
Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

#77
tuco8:07 am, 13 Nov 12

dpm said :

devils_advocate said :

Can we import them from the same place we get the soylent green?

#78
Postalgeek10:01 am, 13 Nov 12

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

Yes, a truly marvellous and self-deprecating post. Now that devil advocate has been born and has been raised to adulthood, we can finally outsource procreation, child rearing, and all the social obligations that come with it. What a relief. I thought his father would never come.

#79
devils_advocate10:12 am, 13 Nov 12

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

Children are in abundant supply. You are not doing me or anybody else a favour by having them. Children are a lifestyle choice by parents. The benefits are entirely private, an increasing number of the costs are externalised.

It may make parents feel good to pretend they are doing it to advance the welfare of society, but it doesn’t make is so.

I like to externalise costs as much as the next guy, the difference is I don’t pretend I’m doing anyone any favours.

#80
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd10:41 am, 13 Nov 12

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

It does not apear that you have the slightest idea about society and any impacts anything may have on it.

#81
seanneko1:21 pm, 13 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

This country is already overpopulated, not to mention the planet.

We don’t have the transport infrastructure, or the housing, or the water, or the electricity, or anything else to sustain the current population growth that we have.

So what are these impacts on society that less children will have? Nobody is saying stop having kids completely. It’s pretty obvious what will happen then (nobody to pay our pension when we’re old, for starters). But couples who have several children is just sheer selfishness.

#82
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd2:10 pm, 13 Nov 12

seanneko said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

This country is already overpopulated, not to mention the planet.

How man is several?

#83
EvanJames2:12 pm, 13 Nov 12

devils_advocate said :

And it’s costing the country a fortune. I sometimes wonder if we’re actually paying people to have children (why?), or compensating them for their ruined lives. There’s certainly a prevalent view in some family circles that having children must not impact on a couples’ lifestyle, and to prevent this, the taxpayer must stump up.

But the families are taxpayers too, I hear a cry from the back. No, actually, variously 43% to 47% of “working families” (normal people, not the stereotypical welfare-dependant single mums and dolies) pay no tax, because they recoup more in Family Benefits than they pay in tax. Yes, really.

Type or paste A Habit We Need To Kick into google, and follow the first hit which is a link to a recent article in The Australian (this circumvents the paywall). A fact-filled article spelling out the costs of family-based welfare. Top of the list is Family Tax A, costing $13.97 BILLION per year. There’s some entitlements there I hadn’t even heard of.

#84
poetix2:54 pm, 13 Nov 12

Some people in this thread speak of children as if they weren’t human beings. Or as if having children (oneself, or at least in one’s family or community) were not a vital part of being human. Of course, allowances and tax are a different issue, but to suggest that children aren’t worthwhile in and of themselves is very sad.

#85
EvanJames3:22 pm, 13 Nov 12

poetix said :

The Australian article I mentioned (and this link seems to open it up without paywall issues:
mentions an academic saying that handouts and entitlements for having children have unforeseen effects on peoples’ attitudes and actions. I think if you step back from being someone who has kids and likes them very much, and looks at this whole Family thing that has been drummed since Howard, a different view starts to take shape.

It used to be that families were part of a whole, of society made up of all sorts of people. Now “Family” means a whole lot of other things, and I think it’s having an effect. Commodifying kids, families, parents maybe. Building a sense of entitlement in some, rather than focussing on how they fit into society as a whole, maybe, and a sense of resentment in others.

I think it’s quite insidious and destructive.

#86
rosscoact3:31 pm, 13 Nov 12

poetix said :

But they are stupid and unworthy of being called trolls

#87
Pitchka3:53 pm, 13 Nov 12

rosscoact said :

poetix said :

But they are stupid and unworthy of being called trolls

Even trolls arent as stupid as they are.

#88
Brianna7:21 pm, 13 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Id like to know why fat people are entitled to disabled parking permits?

I’m a fat person with a disabled permit. Part of the reason I’m fat is due to my physical disability. Yes, part of it is that I don’t eat the right food all the time. Part of it is that I don’t exercise enough. (gee, maybe that’s because I’m physically disabled and it f*cking hurts heaps) but hey……I don’t have the disabled permit because I’m fat. I have it because I am disabled by other issues. If I need to use a parents with prams space because a disabled space isn’t available, then I will. Try having a go at me and I will cut you down so hard and fast (verbally) you’ll be left wondering who hit you.l

#89
dpm9:29 pm, 13 Nov 12

seanneko said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

dpm said :

Hahahaha! Absolute classic!

This country is already overpopulated, not to mention the planet.

If I try to redirect the strange change of subject in this thread back to the original issue, wouldn’t even having one child allow a person (sorry, a ‘parent’!) to have a pram, and thus be able to use the elitest super-pram parking?
Seriously, they should just get rid of these (and the seniors spots D_A also hates) so certain members of the community don’t get their knickers in a knot because they feel they are missing out on something wonderful in life! Personally, if I ever have kids, I wouldn’t use one of these spaces, simply to avoid these sad arguments that end up discussing limiting kids in a China-style fashion!
BTW, you do realise that the Aus TFR has been under replacement rate for quite some time, don’t you? And it’s immigration (of people such as D_A’s much-loved ‘fully grown, and healthy, labour units from overseas that are ready to work and pay taxes’) that is mainly responsible for the increase in our population?!
So if you think the Aus popn is too big, why are you so p1ssed at births?
Anyway, back on the OP topic, maybe they should just change these spots to ‘Parents with prams, or anyone without a pram who thinks they are being short changed in life and wants to make a point to pram owners’! Hahahahaha! There, happy? :-)

#90
cynical_rendering9:57 pm, 13 Nov 12

sepi said :

People with prams are doing well to get out of the house some days. They need all the help they can get. And they do tend to also hang around malls spending money.

Person without pram: park at the back and stroll to shops and back. Noice.

Person with pram/kids/babies trying to get back to car with couple of small bags of shopping:
Move at snail’s pace thru carpark with screaming toddler trying to sit on the ground and preschooler pushing the pram – mostly not towards other people or fast moving cars. Drop some shopping – leave it there – no hands to pick it up. Open door and shove screaming toddler in without trapping flailing body parts, go around to other passenger door, find you can’t open it wide enough as too close to next car. Instruct preschooler to mind baby in pram, while traffic streams by – no room next to car for pram. Reef toddler out of car again, put him in front seat as can’t be trusted near cars, reach across length of back seat to dump yelling baby in to capsule. Get big one in telling her to get in her seat and put on her straps, shut door, go back around to see pram rolling gently towards row of car, retrieve and put in boot. Strap/buckle oldest in, realise toddler is still in front, grab him and put in third car seat. I’ve forgotten to do up big strap on little one’s rear facing seat, put back out reaching from front seat to tighten that, go back to big one to give her the drink she’s dropped/thrown on the floor and is yelling about, confiscate drink from toddler who is feeding it to dolly (all over car) go back to boot, go back to drivers seat, get in put own seatbelt on, start car, realise parking exit ticket is in boot, get out, go back to boot, give dirty look to twit waiting impatiently for car spot, pray we get out of carpark within designated time period after paying prior to exit. Vow never to shop again.

O, woe is me…

Maybe you should have clicked here before you decided to pump too many out in too short a time.

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Are you in favour of Light Rail for Canberra?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.