Parking, Parents with Prams Style

By 12 November 2012 156

pram spot

More often than not when I go to park in the Parents with Pram spots they are taken by people with no baby seat/capsule attachments on the back seat. I am used to seeing this disregard with legally designated parking like disabled spots so I don’t even blink when it comes to Parents with Prams. Yet this car today made me do a double take. The owners can’t even pretend to passing cars that there could possibly be a baby seat in it (unlike the equally guilty Hyandai Elantra that was parked in the other occupied spot).

Before I am called all sorts of charming names by trolls, in this particular instance we are talking about three modest Parents with Pram spots on the top level of the Canberra Centre carpark near Dendy. It is hardly a takeover from fascist NIMBY breeders.

And there is a purpose to these spots – they are wider than the standard spot so you can open the door enough to get a baby capsule out or an unwieldy toddler into a pram. I have learnt from experience that if all that is left are narrow spots with poles in them then its best to just drive out, as that capsule ain’t moving anywhere.

So to all those people out there who park in Parents with Prams and think they aren’t inconveniencing anyone, think again. It’s not nice manners!

Please login to post your comments
156 Responses to Parking, Parents with Prams Style
#121
Postalgeek5:16 pm, 14 Nov 12

Angelite said :

“Reading through the replies on here makes me wonder what RA readers take on %u2018women and children first%u2019 given a sinking ship scenario%u2026″

Whoever gets to the life boats first gets saved. I’m a woman, but I think men deserve to live to.

Well, not much point getting there first if you’re a woman and it’s everyone for themselves, because someone will just grab you, punch you in the face when you object, and yank you by the hair out of your spot in the life boat. It’s not just who’s first, but who’s strongest.

#122
maxblues5:52 pm, 14 Nov 12

Surely ‘Grandparents with grandkids’ car places should be closer to the shops than ‘parents with prams’. Where in Canberra do you buy this delicious sounding duck pizza?… not that we can afford it since the electricity bills have gone up…yesterday we had to solar roast the grand kid’s pet rabbit…

#123
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd5:53 pm, 14 Nov 12

Postalgeek said :

Angelite said :

Last I checked, becoming a parent was not only a choice, but also not a disability.

One of my friends recently broke her leg and has to use crutches. Now, THAT’S a disability.

When they create special, widened, designated parking spaces near the door for people without children, then I’ll stop complaining about the ones for people with children/prams.

Personally, I would encourage families to dent each other’s doors, but that’s just me.

Didn’t you read devils advocates posts? Apparently that’s called vandalism.

#124
seanneko6:19 pm, 14 Nov 12

Postalgeek said :

Slack parenting is not justification for special wider parking spots.

I used to be a kid, and I never slammed a car door into other cars – because my parents taught me to respect other peoples property.

If someone’s kid is that much of a fuckwit, then put the child lock on so they can’t open the door themselves.

#125
chewy147:26 pm, 14 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

People with kids are selfish

HA! Genius. Satiric gold. Seriously dude, send that material in to The Onion, they’ll go crazy for you.

I can’t take credit, I steal most of my material from this guy who’s genius includes comments like “herp derp” and “terk er jerbs” on every second thread here.

That guy’s material is the best.

#126
maxblues7:40 pm, 14 Nov 12

What about Catholic priests with prams?

#127
bundah9:01 pm, 14 Nov 12

maxblues said :

What about Catholic priests with prams?

Changing nappies is messy sh*t they prefer older children who can wipe their own arse.

#128
Angelite10:57 pm, 14 Nov 12

“I’m guessing you’ve never seen the surprisingly forceful way a young child can push open a car door, given you want them mixing it up with you in confined spaces.”

Here’s something they had when I was a kid: child safety locks

“Um, you do realise that if it was a kind of rugby game, very few women and no children would get a seat in the lifeboats? And no physically disabled people either. Or old people. Or shorties for that matter.

The idea that the worth of someone’s life is based on their ability to fight for themselves is profoundly offensive. But I’d better shut up or I’ll go all Christian on you.”

And the idea that men are somehow lesser than women and children is not offensive because…?

#129
EvanJames11:53 pm, 14 Nov 12

maxblues said :

What about Catholic priests with prams?

BYO.

#130
Someonesmother8:04 am, 15 Nov 12

Ditto disabled spots. I just wish some people would have more thought but no it is all about me and my importance!

#131
puffin9:18 am, 15 Nov 12

Angelite said :

Its not offensive its a balance of risk vs reward which has been built into societies customs, the group that are typically the strongest take most risk. This is applied to many informal situations within everyday life yet when it is formally laid out such as parking with prams those who aren’t benefited by it seem to take offense. Since I arrived on these shores the term I often here that may apply to this anti-society attitude is ‘unaustralian’.

What I do find amazing is the self obsessed ‘everything is about me, and my convenience’ culture here in Canberra (most prevalent when you take to the road), I know I could return to whence I came however there does seem to be occasional benefits to be had here.

#132
Jim Jones9:40 am, 15 Nov 12

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

People with kids are selfish

That guy’s material is the best.

Yeah. I love that guy.

#133
Postalgeek10:07 am, 15 Nov 12

seanneko said :

Postalgeek said :

Slack parenting is not justification for special wider parking spots.

Yeah, life’s so easy when you have all the answers and none of the experience. Child locks? Brilliant bit of lateral thinking, that. That’ll be a revelation in the parental forums. So now we’ve got an inspired way of keeping a cardoor closed in a car park. Walk me through the next bit when the door needs to be opened in a 50cm gap and a toddler extracted from a car seat. How does your tried-and-tested 100% fail-safe method unfold?

Angelite said :

The idea that the worth of someone%u2019s life is based on their ability to fight for themselves is profoundly offensive. But I%u2019d better shut up or I%u2019ll go all Christian on you.”

#134
maxblues11:37 am, 15 Nov 12

Firstly ‘Parents with prams’ car spaces are for PARENTS WITH PRAMS or kids who are in capsules or child restraints and unable to open car doors, do all this talk of carte d’or vandals is irrelevant.
Secondly, in any given shopping centre that has ‘Parents with prams’ parking, there are hundreds of small children, far greater than could fit in the aforesaid car places…do their parents MUST have been able to park in normal spaces.
Thirdly, with all this talk of hand-to-hand combat on the high seas…who have you been cruising with, sailor?

#135
Jenn_12:05 pm, 15 Nov 12

I’m fairly sure the parents with prams parking spots at the Belconnen mall (near the AusPost entrance) are the same size as the regularly ones. The newer spaces are bigger i believe. But the same goes for other PWP spots in Canberra, they seem to be the same size as the regular spaces, just converted to PWP.

Therefore some of the pro-PWP supporter arguments about it really being a space issue seem to be redundant to me.

#136
Angelite1:23 pm, 15 Nov 12

“That’s your own twisted interpretation of what Poetix said. But if you want all bets off when the shit hits the fan, that’s fine. Just make your feelings known to your rescuers before they risk their lives; I’m betting you won’t.”

Like I said, whoever gets there first gets saved. Pardon me for thinking men aren’t inferior to women and children and their lives are equally important.

Like I said, I am female, but I don’t consider myself more than a man because I am female.

#137
poetix1:38 pm, 15 Nov 12

Angelite said :

#138
maxblues2:09 pm, 15 Nov 12

poetix said :

Angelite said :

And putting lifeboats in the PWP places would also be a bad thing.

#139
devilzadvocate2:28 pm, 15 Nov 12

I don’t have kids or a pram but love parking in these spots in belco. They aren’t any wider than other spots and are not legally enforceable. But they are always close to the entrance!

I don’t park in disabled parking and understand the need for them.. but parents with prams? How ridiculous…

#140
Postalgeek2:50 pm, 15 Nov 12

maxblues said :

And putting lifeboats in the PWP places would also be a bad thing.

Well that would just be redundant, given that the symbol in the photo clearly indicates that only prams equipped with life preservers are allowed in the space.

#141
poetix2:50 pm, 15 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

People with kids are selfish

That guy’s material is the best.

Yeah. I love that guy.

I like his modesty as much as his funnies.

#142
Angelite3:57 pm, 15 Nov 12

“I do not think men are inferior to women. But to have a society where strength is valued more than kindness or bravery would be a bad thing.”

In that case, why can’t the women be the “kind and brave” ones and let the men go first? Why do the men have to let the women go first? That’s called a double standard.

#143
Jim Jones3:58 pm, 15 Nov 12

poetix said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

People with kids are selfish

That guy’s material is the best.

Yeah. I love that guy.

I like his modesty as much as his funnies.

Totally with you on that one.

Just an awesome guy all round really. He should probably have one of those nobel prize thingos, or be knighted, or get a crown even.

A crown would be pretty cool.

#144
johnboy4:03 pm, 15 Nov 12

Women and children first is not chivalry.

It’s communal survival.

One man can father a whole new generation. But women’s reproductive abilities are harder to replace.

Which is why traditionally the men go off for the killing and dying and the women of the tribe stay home.

Men are easily replaced. Lose the women and you’re gone as a society.

#145
bundah4:13 pm, 15 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

poetix said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

People with kids are selfish

That guy’s material is the best.

Yeah. I love that guy.

I like his modesty as much as his funnies.

Totally with you on that one.

A crown would be pretty cool.

Indeed i could just picture you wearing a crown of thorns :)

#146
Jim Jones4:18 pm, 15 Nov 12

devilzadvocate said :

Meh … buy your own shopping mall and set up the carpark exactly how you want it then.

#147
maxblues4:22 pm, 15 Nov 12

johnboy said :

Women and children first is not chivalry.

It’s communal survival.

Men are easily replaced. Lose the women and you’re gone as a society.

I thought ‘women and children first’ was invented by the early Christians… just before they faced the lions in the Colosseum…

#148
NoImRight4:33 pm, 15 Nov 12

johnboy said :

Women and children first is not chivalry.

It’s communal survival.

Men are easily replaced. Lose the women and you’re gone as a society.

What do you propose to replace men with? Lose either sex and we are done. We just need less men than women to keep going.

#149
johnboy4:37 pm, 15 Nov 12

NoImRight said :

Men are replaceable within a single generation. Women are not.

#150
chewy144:49 pm, 15 Nov 12

I’ll put my hand up to be the man who survives to repopulate the planet.

I know it’s a big responsibility but I’m willing to take one for the team.

Get Premium Membership
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.