PM pencils in September 14 for the election

By 30 January 2013 73

Prime Minister Gillard has just taken the very unusual step of announcing the date of this year’s federal election.

It’s to be September 14 which will give our public servants something to be going on with.

Please login to post your comments
73 Responses to PM pencils in September 14 for the election
#31
Masquara7:32 pm, 30 Jan 13

Pork Hunt said :

So when does gov’t go into caretaker mode and cease buying things, issuing tenders and contracts etc?
How does this affect the people and businesses that carry out said activities?

You might as well forget Parliament for the rest of the year, it will just be a shit fight with zero productivity.

Unbeliavable.

I suspect the electorate would like a fiscal conservative AND social progressive at the helm come late September. Neither Juliar nor Tony nor Julie fit the bill. That leaves you, Malcolm Turnbull!

#32
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd7:43 pm, 30 Jan 13

dungfungus said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Gungahlin Al said :

You know I think this might be a clever move (for once) from Gillard.
1/ Abbott is even showing up Zed with his lethargy to get going after holidays.
2/ Even the mainstream media is getting thoroughly jacked off with Abbott’s refusal to answer anything he doesn’t want to.
3/ It forces voters to face up to the fact that on 15 September this joke of an alternative could actually be our Prime Minster, and therefore will give a rather different perspective to every single thing he does from now on. Including, according to twitter, refusing to take any questions after his response this afternoon. (Might as well just post a bloody YouTube clip!)

Plus one.

Anybody who votes for not only a halfwit, but also a half retarded religious fanatic who thinks women being abused is a good thing, should probably be put down.

Maybe if you could be a little more civil or are you just venting your spleen befor Labor’s new offensive comments legislation kick in.
Please supply proof that Abbott said “women being abused is a good thing”

Something something women deserve no rights about their own body something something things would be better if women acted like they did in the 50′s something something Jesus spoke to me in the shower and told me women are nothing more than breeding machines.

#33
Jivrashia7:53 pm, 30 Jan 13

johnboy said :

parliament is prorogued.

Yes, they are thugs, cut-throats, and thieves, but you didn’t have to come right out and say it.

#34
schmeah7:57 pm, 30 Jan 13

Pork Hunt said :

How does this affect the people and businesses that carry out said activities?

Unbeliavable.

You might call 3-400 pieces of legislation, each one negotiated with the cross bench (instead of just being bulldozed through on typical majority) “unproductive” but I certainly don’t. It only appears unproductive because that nimrod Abbott wants everyone to think this country is going to the dogs; like Greece, where last time I checked unemployment amongst the working age was around 26% and amongst the youth upwards of 50%.

#35
Pork Hunt8:15 pm, 30 Jan 13

Masquara said :

Pork Hunt said :

How does this affect the people and businesses that carry out said activities?

Unbeliavable.

Why pick on a quote by me for what appears to be a stand alone post? In any case what’s wrong with a post tax fight Paul Hogan for PM?

#36
bigfeet9:47 pm, 30 Jan 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

I expected better from someone who likes to stamp their feet, wave their tiny fists in the air, hold their breath and demand ‘screenshots’ from everyone else when quoting.

Actually, no I didn’t. You delivered exactly as expected.

#37
HiddenDragon10:27 pm, 30 Jan 13

I think the very, very early announcement of the election date is an attempt to appear statesperson-like, to put pressure on the Opposition to provide more detail about what they would do, and to put pressure on the cross benches – just in case any of them might waver in their support for the Government in light of any actual or alleged scandals that may emerge over coming months.

Without acknowledging it, the speech made a powerful case for tax increases, as well as for the promised “structural” savings – the detail of which will be fascinating, to say the least, particularly if they do actually meet a fair Commonwealth share of the cost of Gonski and NDIS (fasten your seatbelts and brace yourselves for the Territory’s funding options for those whoppers).

#38
Thumper11:01 pm, 30 Jan 13

Indeed, it’s a perfect snapshot of the incredibly shallow level of political debate in this country.

And there you have it Mr Caulfield, there you have it…

#39
Skidbladnir8:10 am, 31 Jan 13

For those getting their panties crinkled overthe choice of Yom Kippur:
Its a Jewish holiday, either your government defends all religious holidays as inviolable and never gets anything done, or it treats them with an equal disregard.
Its also a Saturday. Observant Jews will pre-poll, just like every other time we”ve held an election on the Shabbat.

Hell, you can do it too.

#40
johnboy8:50 am, 31 Jan 13

The AEC has published a list of key dates.

Bear in mind the PM is somewhat overstepping her power. There could still be an earlier election if she loses a major vote and it’s actually up to the Speaker and the GG to call elections (almost always on the PM’s advice mind you)

#41
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd8:53 am, 31 Jan 13

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Actually, no I didn’t. You delivered exactly as expected.

Can you post a pic of me acting in the way described?

#42
Mav9:53 am, 31 Jan 13

Oh Yay! Daily media polls about who is beating who, I cannot wait for October. The way our media has been going we may as well turn off the TV till after the election is over, I can see it now daily offerings of the two major parties calling each other names interspersed with splutterings from the Greens and KAP.

What a year this will be. :(

#43
caf9:54 am, 31 Jan 13

Chop71 said :

Footy finals,

very un-straylyn like from the PM

On the other hand, this is what New Zealand PM John Key did in 2011 – and is there anything more Australian than taking something from NZ and pretending we came up with it ourselves? ;)

#44
Gungahlin Al9:55 am, 31 Jan 13

schmeah said :

Pork Hunt said :

How does this affect the people and businesses that carry out said activities?

Unbeliavable.

How dare you come on here and start waving facts around??

#45
watto2310:40 am, 31 Jan 13

Mav said :

What a year this will be. :(

Could be but it surely is better than speculation over when an election will come, with the opposition continually trying to take down the government and force an election ASAP, rather than offer productive opposition. It was a smart move, because it changes what the boring diatribe will be about and probably in favour of the current government.

That said, I think the electorate would prefer Malcolm Turnbull over Abbott. Personally I think Abbott will win and if he does he may only hold on for a term. Abbott is great at debating and as an opposition (he does have a degree in politics), not convinced he is a good leader though, as I think the best leaders require the right kind of personality. I think Kevin had it and so did John and Bob.

#46
bikhet11:09 am, 31 Jan 13

watto23 said :

Bob and John I’ll give you, but I lost all respect for Kevin after he had a go at that RAAF steward. You don’t get stuck into people who don’t have any control over the situation and who are not in a position to defend themselves.

#47
DrKoresh11:36 am, 31 Jan 13

bikhet said :

watto23 said :

I always thought Rudd was alright. I wasn’t concerned about his religion influencing his politics, something which I doubt even the most die-hard Abbott supporter could say for Tony. I hadn’t heard of this RAAF incident until now, but I looked it up and it sounds mostly like muck-raking over a fairly minor incident. A theory which is supported by the fact that all the publications about it online come from News Limited or the Daily Tele, sources with a fairly pronounced Right-leaning bias.

#48
Duffbowl12:33 pm, 31 Jan 13

With the usual suspects going at each other harder that a pair of fetishists locked in a sex shop, this is going to be a long 7 1/2 months…

#49
Solidarity1:03 pm, 31 Jan 13

I’m a Labor voter but the Labor circle-jerk on this website makes me think I should vote Liberal out of spite for a few users on here.

#50
Thumper1:24 pm, 31 Jan 13
#51
Duffbowl1:37 pm, 31 Jan 13

Thumper said :

Just to make it all a tad more interesting.

My mild paranoia makes me wonder if the PM was tipped, and made an election announcement a day early to *attempt* to derail the inevitable calls for an early election from the Coalition.

#52
Chop712:06 pm, 31 Jan 13

We may well be at the polls before Sep 14

#53
bikhet2:27 pm, 31 Jan 13

DrKoresh said :

The Fairfax press also has it online, but seems to only have his apology. There’s also the missing hair-drier and his general air that the world owes him a Rolls-Royce. Anyway, enough of KRudd – he’s now a feather-duster.

#54
DrKoresh4:31 pm, 31 Jan 13

bikhet said :

I didn’t do more than give a cursory glance to the first page of results on Google. But I agree, regardless of what you think of him, he is yesterday’s news. His snarky remarks from the back bench do give me a wry smile every now and then though.

#55
Pork Hunt5:55 pm, 31 Jan 13

Duffbowl said :

Thumper said :

Just to make it all a tad more interesting.

I think so. When I saw on TV that Thomson was arrested this klaxon went off in my head and my ears are still ringing.

#56
wildturkeycanoe8:42 pm, 31 Jan 13

“PM pencils in September 14 for the election”
Just caught this headline and was excited about receiving my commemorative PM pencil. The kids could use it for drawing faces on the ballot paper…

#57
dungfungus10:02 pm, 31 Jan 13

Chop71 said :

We may well be at the polls before Sep 14

Please explain how this might happen.
Assuming Thomson and Slipper both plead “not guilty”, it will be at least sometime after the election before respective trials can be arranged so Gillard still has the numbers and the support of the independents.
A sitting member is not compelled to resign until he/she is found guilty and the sentence has to exceed a certain level. Even if Gillard was to be arrested the same situation would apply.
Self preservation in politics is a pretty powerful emotion.

#58
HiddenDragon10:25 pm, 31 Jan 13

I did not expect the Thomson matter to escalate so quickly and so dramatically, but I certainly had it in mind when I made my earlier comment – #37 – about waverers on the cross benches. I also think there is still a lot more mud to be thrown about the PM’s past, and, notwithstanding the decision of Justice Rares (and that the Coalition would seem to have some questions of its own to answer) the general “yuck factor” about Slipper/Ashby is not at all helpful to the Government.

So with all of that, and the potential for further scandals/stuff-ups in coming months, it certainly occurred to me that one or more cross-benchers might, just – and very belatedly – try to distance themselves from the Government by supporting, or seriously threatening to, a no confidence motion. The exceptionally early announcement of the intended (and it is no more than that) election date could thus be an attempt to pre-empt, or at least discourage, any such thoughts on the part of the cross benches.

#59
milkman6:32 am, 01 Feb 13

HiddenDragon said :

I did not expect the Thomson matter to escalate so quickly and so dramatically

That’s what she said!

#60
Chop719:19 am, 01 Feb 13

dungfungus said :

Chop71 said :

We may well be at the polls before Sep 14

Please explain how this might happen.
Self preservation in politics is a pretty powerful emotion.

I’m not saying anyone is guilty of anything but just as you mentioned several reasons for Sept 14 there are just as many possibilities that things could fall apart and it happen sooner. Anything from a dd to resignations to change of leader etc etc. Gillard has only announced her date for an election, but it is also up to plenty of others to make that call and not just her. ie GG (just for starters)

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.