ACT Chief Minister, Katy Gallagher MLA, and the Minister for Sport and Recreation, Shane Rattenbury MLA, will host a ceremony to welcome home the ACT athletes, coaches and support staff who were members of the Australian team at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
“We are all very proud of the achievements of the Australian athletes who participated in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, but we are of course particularly proud of our local Canberra athletes,” the Chief Minister said.
“Being selected to represent your country in your chosen sport is an achievement in itself, and to wear the green and gold at one of the biggest events on the Australian sporting calendar certainly deserves recognition,”
The reception will be held on Wednesday 10 September 2014, at 11.00am in the Exhibition Room in the ACT Legislative Assembly.
Almost 30 athletes from the ACT competed in Glasgow, with the majority of these athletes supported by the ACT Academy of Sport (ACTAS). More than 20 Canberrans were also at the Commonwealth Games as coaches and support staff for a range of sports.
Medallist summary for athletes supported by the ACT Academy of Sport:
- Anna Flanagan, Gold Medal, Women’s Team (Hockeyroos)
- Edwina Bone, Gold Medal, Women’s Team (Hockeyroos)
- Andrew Charter, Gold Medal, Men’s Team (Kookaburras)
- Brandie O’Connor, Bronze Medal, Women’s Para-Sport Sprint B2 Tandem
- Brandie O’Conner, Bronze Medal, Women’s Para-Sport 1000m Time Trial Tandem B
- Nathan Hart, Bronze Medal, Men’s Team Sprint
- Paul Kennedy, Bronze Medal, Men’s Para-Sport Sprint B2 Tandem
- Thomas Clarke, Bronze Medal, (Pilot for Paul Kennedy)
- Rebecca Henderson, Bronze Medal, Women’s Mountain Bike
Medallist summary for other ACT athletes:
- Kelsey-Lee Roberts, Bronze Medal, Women’s Javelin Throw
- Ben Treffers, Gold Medal, Men’s 50m backstroke
- Ben Treffers, Silver Medal, Men’s 4x100m medley
- Tom Cusack, Bronze Medal, Men’s Competition
“Our local sportsmen and women did a tremendous job in Glasgow. The reception will be a great way to welcome them home and celebrate their achievements,” Mr Rattenbury said.
(Katy Gallagher and Shane Rattenbury Media Release)