Advertisement

Stanhope’s Folly makes its social media debut

By 9 January 2013 15

screenshot

Territory and Municipal Services have the thilling news that you can now find out what’s going down at the arboretum via social media:

With the opening of the National Arboretum Canberra only a few weeks away, new Facebook and Twitter accounts have been launched to help people engage with what is happening at Canberra’s newest major attraction.

The launch of these social media platforms follows the launch of the new Arboretum website and Flickr account last month.

“There is currently a hive of activity at the Arboretum to ensure it is ready for the dawn ceremony to mark the official opening on Friday 1 February 2013,” said Fay Steward, Executive Director, National Arboretum Canberra. “A community opening event will be held on Saturday 2 February 2013.

So just to make sure you can keep up:

Surely we can get the poor thing past a single solitary “like”?

Please login to post your comments
15 Responses to
Stanhope’s Folly makes its social media debut
thisispants 3:04 pm
09 Jan 13
#1

Cool.

trevar 3:57 pm
09 Jan 13
#2

Stanhope’s Folly sounds like a great name for a band…

cranky 8:17 pm
09 Jan 13
#3

‘The project is being funded by the ACT Govt, with support from the Federal Govt.’.

FFS, this thing is being paid for from the rates of the ACT land leasers.

Were we ever asked if we wanted to contribute millions of dollars to build this thing?

A supposed tourist attrction, the layout appears to be such that one needs to be very, very healthy to attack the intimidating paths that link the site.

Are we about to discover that the site uncovers major heart disease in many visitors?

bd84 10:34 pm
09 Jan 13
#4

Ah new means to ask them how much has been wasted on the project and how much over budget it is.

switch 10:44 pm
09 Jan 13
#5

cranky said :

‘Are we about to discover that the site uncovers major heart disease in many visitors?

Nah, they’ll all ride Segways.

rosscoact 10:46 pm
09 Jan 13
#6

cranky said :

‘The project is being funded by the ACT Govt, with support from the Federal Govt.’.

FFS, this thing is being paid for from the rates of the ACT land leasers.

Were we ever asked if we wanted to contribute millions of dollars to build this thing?

A supposed tourist attrction, the layout appears to be such that one needs to be very, very healthy to attack the intimidating paths that link the site.

Are we about to discover that the site uncovers major heart disease in many visitors?

Yes, we were asked and we said yes to successive labour governments that had it as part of their platform.

The arboretum is and will be an outstanding tourist attraction and something Canberra should be proud of if we weren’t so busy looking for a dark lining to every silver cloud

Baggy 7:47 am
10 Jan 13
#7

cranky said :

‘The project is being funded by the ACT Govt, with support from the Federal Govt.’.

FFS, this thing is being paid for from the rates of the ACT land leasers.

Were we ever asked if we wanted to contribute millions of dollars to build this thing?

A supposed tourist attrction, the layout appears to be such that one needs to be very, very healthy to attack the intimidating paths that link the site.

Are we about to discover that the site uncovers major heart disease in many visitors?

We, the majority of us, that is, voted for more left-leaning politicians than right, and did so for several years despite increasing demonstrations of ineptitude and mismanagement. So, yes, we gave tacit endorsement.

artuoui 10:01 am
10 Jan 13
#8

In twenty years time the Libs will be doing all they can to prise Stanhope’s name off the Arboretum.

Cimexus 10:44 am
10 Jan 13
#9

Can’t really understand all the hate for the arboretum. It’ll be a beautiful place to walk around in the coming decades. If everything that ‘we taxpayers had to pay for’ never got built, well, we wouldn’t have much at all, would we?

Growling Ferret 11:46 am
10 Jan 13
#10

In 50 years time, the art will be gone, but the Arboretum will be the outstanding legacy the Stanhope Govt will be remembered for. It is already, even in development stages, an outstanding place. I just hope the initial thoughts of $20 entry per person are dropped and it remains a nil cost venue appreciated by all.

Chop71 12:44 pm
10 Jan 13
#11

I think it will look fantastic in 30 years time….. even though I will be dead.

I do agree I would like to see more truth in press releases where they say Yes this was paid for by your rates and the highest taxes in Australia. Think that will ever happen ….. No

Chop71 12:47 pm
10 Jan 13
#12

This makes me so warm and fuzzy that it has almost put me into catastrophic fire danger.

Keijidosha 1:24 pm
10 Jan 13
#13

Every time I hear someone mention the arboretum I’m reminded of what I see each day as I leave for work; children playing on the school oval opposite my house, running around on a surface of dirt, sporadic weeds and dead grass. Oh well, at least they’ll have some trees to look at in 30 years.

HiddenDragon 1:36 pm
10 Jan 13
#14

It’s probably preferable to having another plantation on that site, as the Arboretum is likely to be more carefully managed – not least because of the much higher level of public access and scrutiny. On the other hand, the seemingly inevitable ongoing taxpayer subsidies could have been used for fire risk mitigation throughout the Territory.

Aeek 1:48 pm
10 Jan 13
#15

Stanhope will be long dead before the Arboretum is fully realised. That’s refreshing in today’s every shrinking news cycle.

Personally, I hope this means it stops being a contruction site and I can cycle through there any day I feel like.

Follow
Follow The RiotACT
Get Premium Membership
Advertisement
The-RiotACT.com Newsletter Sign Up

Images of Canberra

Advertisement
Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.