The Assange vigil and booklet

By 7 December 2012 72

assange

This in from Jane:

Candlelight vigil for Assange, Parliament House 30 November

Taken at the Candlelight Vigil for Julian Assange last Thursday night.

ACT Friends of Wikileaks is now making a booklet with this photo and messages to the Government.

Please send your message to actfowl@gmail.com asap.

Names will be included unless advised otherwise.

Please login to post your comments
72 Responses to The Assange vigil and booklet
#31
Diggety8:41 am, 10 Dec 12

breda said :

drfelonious is right. FYI, I have never listened to either Jones or Hadley – don’t even know which stations they are on.

As for Sweden being the US’ “number one lackey”, it seems odd that Assange felt quite comfortable spending quite a bit of time there and using it as party central if that is the case. His presence there was no secret. Only now that he faces questioning – not arrest, just questioning – over alleged sexual offences is he suddenly in fear of his life if he returns.

If all they want to do is question, then why not via video link?

Why didn’t he have sex via video link?

CGN, he is not special. He should be subject to the same procedures as anyone else.

#32
DrKoresh12:34 pm, 10 Dec 12

drfelonious said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It appears there is a lot of uninformed, ignorant and clues less jones/Hadley listeners here.

Gross.

Mate – I know it is tempting to see the world in black and white, but it is lazy thinking. The world is not simply divided into Assange supporters on one side and Ray Hadley/Alan Jones listeners on the other. I, for one, happen to dislike both camps because both Assange supporters and wingnut radio jock audiences share the same traits of lazy thinking and easy stereotyping.

Well said, I tend to find myself nodding in agreement with you in many matters CGN, but I have to agree with my fellow doctor in the house on this one and I’m a little offended you would lump me in with the likes of Mr,G and Alan Jones.

While I applaud Wikileaks and agree it was rather damaging for America, I’m seriously sceptical of the idea that the U.S is planning to secretly abduct Assange from Sweden. The damage has been done, already, it would only hurt their image further to doggedly persecute him.

Why don’t you want to see Julian Assange face trial for the alleged sexual assault of a minor is my question? The issue is entirely separate from Wikileaks. People have brought-up the excellent point that he’d be far less likely to be extradited to the U.S from Sweden than he would be in the U.K.

Can you elaborate on your position for me? I really didn’t think you were the type to let an alleged rapist escape justice.

#33
DrKoresh12:37 pm, 10 Dec 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

If all they want to do is question, then why not via video link?

Would you want the AFP doing interrogations over the phone in relation to violent crimes? Come on man, I know you can do better than that.

#34
Masquara2:50 pm, 10 Dec 12

If the allegations are true, it was pretty serious sexual misconduct: forcing sex without a condom by surprise, on a sleeping woman – possibly by deliberately tearing said condom. She had made it very clear that she insisted on protected sex. If Julian Assange did indeed do that, it’s very likely he was a very serious sexually transmitted disease risk, and knew it.

And for the record I have never heard Ray Hadley, and have only listened to Alan Jones sporadically (perhaps four times) in a work context.

#35
Tetranitrate3:09 pm, 10 Dec 12

DrKoresh said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

If all they want to do is question, then why not via video link?

More to the point, they could have questioned him in the UK while he was under house arrest fighting the extradition. That was always on the table but the Swedes refused.

#36
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd3:16 pm, 10 Dec 12

To be wanted for questioning and to be charged with something are completely different things. One can be done via video link and the other needs to be done in person.
Both rape charges seem suspicious considering they only came to light after one woman was visited by a CIA agent who then in turn visited the other woman and convinced her to make the allegations aswell.
If he did do what has been accused, then sure, lock him up in a Swedish gaol, but the Swedish government needs to make its intentions clear. Either state you want him to be charged in full for the alleged offences, otherwise just video link questioning. Pretty simple really.

By no means should he be extradited to America.

Btw I think assange is creepy as, but he has done great work with wiki leaks.

And RE: Hadley/jones comment, it’s in relation to people ignorantly saying *DUHHHH U MESSED WITH MERIKA NOW FACE THE CONSEQUENCES DERRRRR*

I have heard both those half wits say something similar only to then hear it parroted by uninformed and ignorants.

I guess that is my stance. Do you need to know anything else, dr koresh?

#37
DrKoresh6:01 pm, 10 Dec 12

Tetranitrate said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

By no means should he be extradited to America.

Btw I think assange is creepy as, but he has done great work with wiki leaks.

I guess that is my stance. Do you need to know anything else, dr koresh?

No, no, that sums it up quite well. I was unaware of both the CIA involvement and the Swede’s refusal to send investigators to Britain. I didn’t mean to sound confrontational, so I’m sorry if I came off like that.

I don’t think sitting in the Ecuadorian embassy is helping his case much, but if he is indeed at real risk of being taken to the U.S for wikileaks rather than Sweden for the alleged sexual assualts then I suppose there isn’t much else he can do until he gets a guarantee from the both Sweden and the U.K that he won’t be given to America instead.

#38
Deckard7:28 pm, 10 Dec 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Who said that? I just read back through the comments and couldn’t see it. Keep on back peddling.

#39
Duffbowl7:29 pm, 10 Dec 12

I think a few people need to look at the New Statesman blog to understand some of the legalities around Assange.

From that entry, you get the following:
- The alleged actions are considered rape by English law standards.
- It will be more difficult to extradite Assange from Sweden, as under EU standards, both Sweden and the UK would have to consent.
- Assange is not wanted for questioning, the Swedes wish to arrest him. That’s how their legal system works. They arrest, then charge, then prosecute.

As for the author, have a quick read of his Wikipedia bio.

#40
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd9:19 pm, 10 Dec 12

Deckard said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.

Keep on keeping ignorant though.

#41
Deckard10:06 pm, 10 Dec 12

Deckard said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.

Keep on keeping ignorant though.

Not ignorant, just realistic. The guy’s done some good stuff, but he sure as hell ain’t the messiah…

And he’s a hypocrite. http://www.hrw.org/americas/ecuador

#42
justin heywood10:10 pm, 10 Dec 12

Duffbowl said :

From that entry, you get the following:
- The alleged actions are considered rape by English law standards.

As for the author, have a quick read of his Wikipedia bio.

Now now Duffbowl, don’t go spoiling it by quoting someone who actually knows what he is talking about. David Green is obviously just a nerd/derf Hadley listener.

(Loved that line about ‘zombie facts’)

#43
bigfeet10:38 pm, 10 Dec 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.?.

Really? Where?

#44
Masquara12:41 am, 11 Dec 12

Besides all the bad behaviour, Assange is a fantasist and his word is not to be trusted. eg I have his autobiography, and he claims to be descended from a Torres Strait Islander. The way this “genius” thinks he can get away with ascribing his genetic inheritance to his stepfather Brett Assange (and he is continuing the lie to this day!) is pretty indicative of someone delusional. Do these “vigil” people also think that falsely claiming Indigenous ancestry is fine?

#45
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd6:32 am, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.?.

Really? Where?

Have you read any of this thread besides my own posts?

#46
bigfeet9:16 am, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.?.

Really? Where?

Have you read any of this thread besides my own posts?

Yes I have. I invite you again to point out where this has been said ( or even inferred).

If you could do it without claiming anyone who refuses to indulge in your pseudo-religious messiah/hero worship of Assange is ‘ignorant’ it would be most appreciated.

#47
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd9:50 am, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.?.

Really? Where?

Have you read any of this thread besides my own posts?

Can you please re-read this thread and educate yourself. the posts i am talking about are clear.

Can you also please show me where i said he is my hero or messiah?

#48
bigfeet10:31 am, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

It’s been said 3 or 4 times.?.

Really? Where?

Have you read any of this thread besides my own posts?

Can you also please show me where i said he is my hero or messiah?

Well we could go round in circles if you want. You made an outlandish comment, two people have asked you to back it up and the best you can come up with is ‘its obvious…your’re ignorant’ Ok. So you can’t point it out, because it doesn’t exist. Thanks.

#49
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd11:17 am, 11 Dec 12

post numbers: 2,4,9,12,17.

Your turn.

#50
breda11:47 am, 11 Dec 12

The meanderings of the Assange apologists are interesting. Apparently, if someone is subject to extradition on a serious offence (they don’t do it for shoplifting) – that person should not be extradited, but should be allowed a taxpayer funded videoconference instead. Especially if they are Freedom Fighter, Julian Assange.

Also, the fact that the Freedom Fighter for information dissemination has skipped bail to hole up in the embassy of a country that routinely closes down and persecutes dissident media outlets is irrelevant. The fact that this country does not have extradition treaties with the relevant countries is purely coincidental.

He still believes in freedom with every fibre of his being!

The media outlets and celebrities who were gulled by Assange are too embarrassed to admit it. They made him into a superstar, but the truth is he is just a middle-aged bar creep who had 15 seconds of fame.

#51
bigfeet12:03 pm, 11 Dec 12

post numbers: 2,4,9,12,17.

Your turn.

Funny! Really.Those are your examples? Sad.

Anyway I’m bored now and typing on my phone is annoying.

I’ll leave you with posts 30 & 36 where you clearly suggest that Assange should be held above the laws of mere mortals and not have to comply with them.

I might discuss further later, or might not .

#52
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd2:22 pm, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

post numbers: 2,4,9,12,17.

Your turn.

Funny! Really.Those are your examples? Sad.

Anyway I’m bored now and typing on my phone is annoying.

I might discuss further later, or might not .

You do not appear to be very bright or understand simple wording. I clearly stated that if he is actually guilty of accused crimes then he needs to be locked in a swedish prison. However, the swedish said they only want to question him on the matter, not charge him., therefore no need for extradition.

do you follow or is this too much for you to comprehend?

#53
Diggety2:32 pm, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

post numbers: 2,4,9,12,17.

Your turn.

Funny! Really.Those are your examples? Sad.

Anyway I’m bored now and typing on my phone is annoying.

I might discuss further later, or might not .

do you follow or is this too much for you to comprehend?

CGN, I highly recommend you read the article Duffbowl provided us:

#54
bigfeet4:20 pm, 11 Dec 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

do you follow or is this too much for you to comprehend?

Gee, I wonder why his expensive and highly qualified legal didn’t use this argument? It seems like such a game winner.

Oh wait… They did. It was argued more eloquently and with more examples of precedence than you could ever hope to.

The court ruled upon it. I hazard a guess that they are slightly more qualified than you at interpreting international law. Guess what? They dismissed that argument.

But what would judges know hey? They are just mortal after all . Not like Julian.

#55
King_of_the_Muppets5:18 pm, 11 Dec 12

IMHO the world needs the likes of Assange. He is an extremist. The US military machine is also extremist. It is rare to find an organisation powerful enough to balance their power.

Clearly mistakes were made in publishing individuals names and a heavy cost was paid…but….what is the cost of not exposing the failings of the US military actions in foriegn countries. “collateral murder’ was enough to convince me of the value of Assanges actions.

#56
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd5:39 pm, 11 Dec 12

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

do you follow or is this too much for you to comprehend?

I don’t really think anyone is more qualified than me about anything.

#57
King_of_the_Muppets5:46 pm, 11 Dec 12

The matters surrounding the charges seem a little sketchy given CIA involvement. I wouldn’t pretend to know what actually happened.

Unfortunately its a charge that has been leveled at whistle blowers in the past and one which can easily damage the credibility of anyone its levelled at.

Regardless of what you think about Assange and Wikileaks – the whole situation seems a little too convenient

#58
Duffbowl6:27 pm, 11 Dec 12

Conspiracy theorists will continue to believe what they want to be true, no matter what arguments are put forward. You may as well shout at the clouds for crossing the skies.

#59
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd6:55 pm, 11 Dec 12

Duffbowl said :

Same could be said for peeps who believe everything as fact as long as its said by a right wing nut.

#60
Duffbowl7:16 pm, 11 Dec 12

Duffbowl said :

When it comes to conspiracy theories, neither the left nor the right has soul custody.

Putting on my helmet of perceived aggression, with its most fetching bird of paradise feathers, I hope you’re not pushing me into the “right wing nut” camp, CGN. I was pointing out an opinion piece, written by a respected lawyer from the left in the UK, that undermined the most frequently heard accusations from Assange supporters about why it’s a conspiracy.

On a personal note, I don’t know whether Assange committed rape or not. It seems that the Swedes have followed their legal processes, as well as those of the EU. If the Yanks really wanted him, they would have asked the Poms. The UK has handed over suspects before with less evidence provided for similar offences; what would stop the US from doing the same now?

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.