The lights go on at Manuka Oval

By 23 January, 2013 54

manuka lights

To celebrate your correspondent’s 40th birthday the powers that be have put on a rather grand game of cricket next tuesday and Ricky Ponting is going to captain a side against the West Indies at Manuka Oval.

Migrane@Kingston has sent in these cracking pictures of the new lights turned on for the first time despite the best efforts of the Inner South terrorists.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .

manuka oval

Meanwhile a kilometre away Nick is enjoying the precision of the lights:

lights

Please login to post your comments
54 Responses to The lights go on at Manuka Oval
#31
JC6:17 pm, 24 Jan 13

PS seeing as you like sustainable development, wouldn’t it be a good idea to knock Manuka oval down. and build 3 or 4 20 story Mirvac style (read communist style) apartments on it. Wouldn’t it? Much better than 6 light towers. If that were to happen maybe you would have something to complain about.

#32
mossy6:26 pm, 24 Jan 13

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

$5m/(12*20)= $20,000 per game + electricity and maintenance + destruction of urban vistas and residential amenity.

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

#33
Frustrated6:37 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

So, as a resident, not allowed to express an opinion?

Curtains on my apartment balcony where I like to sit in the evening and look at the night sky?

The apartments’ heights, in general, are just around tree height.

There’s almost no traffic to speak of – if you think this is traffic, you should get out of Canberra sometime.

You are a friggin sook.

They look fantastic and will great for AFL night matches, and day/night cricket into the future.

#34
Ben_Dover6:43 pm, 24 Jan 13

Anything which imporves the prospect of more cricket in the ACT is worth us ignoring the sound of a million whining NIMBYs in my book.

#35
poetix6:54 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

You realise that those figures could equally be used as an argument for more frequent use?

Look at the pleasure that people are getting even in anticipation of the first cricket match in which they’ll be used. There are a lot of forty year olds with a real spring in their steps…

#36
c_c™7:03 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Such as…

#37
Thumper7:15 pm, 24 Jan 13

Ben_Dover said :

Now we just need a first class side in the Sheffield Shield and I can die a happy man.

#38
Ben_Dover7:29 pm, 24 Jan 13

Thumper said :

When I dream I dream I have a Porche’.

#39
JC7:38 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Again double standard. Urban vista’s were destroyed to build your apartment building, clearly your ok with that but not with 6, quite attractive light towers.

PS WTF is residential amenity and how has that been destroyed?

#40
Growling Ferret7:48 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Like more waaambulances?

#41
pptvb7:51 pm, 24 Jan 13

davo101 said :

LSWCHP said :

We aren’t allocated all that many birthdays ending in zero, so make sure it’s a big one. :-)

Expressed in binary we get one every other year :-)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, & those who don’t!

#42
el7:54 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

The horrible apartments that have sprung up all around the area? Agreed.

#43
Pork Hunt7:59 pm, 24 Jan 13

Ben_Dover said :

Thumper said :

When I dream I dream I have a Porche’.

You can sit on your Porche while I drive my Porsche to the cricket… :-)

#44
mossy8:39 pm, 24 Jan 13

>There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.
>Such as…

Increasing the staff numbers and facilities at the Birth Centre and Canberra Hospital would be a good place to start.

>Yep NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY!

Came for the forum, stayed for the quality of discussion.

#45
FioBla9:26 pm, 24 Jan 13

$5M.

Could subsidise ACTION for 18 days.

#46
chewy149:27 pm, 24 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Which orifice did you pull a 20 year lifespan from?

Although by your above post I’m assuming you want the government to run events there every week to get value for money right? Good on you.

#47
rosscoact9:46 pm, 24 Jan 13

They should have put them in Gungahlin where the riff raff live and they don’t know any better

#48
Chop717:28 am, 25 Jan 13

I love this thread

#49
miz7:40 am, 25 Jan 13

Wow, the triffids have landed . . .

#50
Gantz7:45 am, 25 Jan 13

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

So who else is thinking mossy here was the culprit who cut all the electrical wires when they were first installed?

#51
pommyb9:36 am, 25 Jan 13

Lights on – Day/Night cricket – AFL – more investment in facilities. Roll on 2014/15 when the first Test comes to Canberra

#52
G-Fresh11:12 am, 25 Jan 13

mossy said :

As a local resident whose apartment block was flooded with light tonight, I can only consider these monsters an abomination. Platitudes about ‘restricting light spill’ are rubbish.

And when they’re not on, they’re an abomination. They stick up above the trees destroying the vistas along along Canberra Avenue and along Telopea Park.

What a disgrace.

Sucked in

#53
goggles136:57 pm, 25 Jan 13

mossy said :

What a disgrace.

oh well

I live near Viking Park and get to see the light and hear the noise when a rugby game is on.

is there some service that will provide me with counselling (free of course) because I am in no way affected by this light and noise “pollution”?

#54
Pork Hunt7:32 pm, 25 Jan 13

Gantz said :

mossy said :

$5 million cost of lights
12 uses per year
20 years use

They’re monstrous. They’re expensive. And they’re unnecessary.

There are many other things in Canberra I’d rather see this money spent on.

Nah, he’s too busy watching the night sky of a light polluted (pre lights) first world capital city with tree lined avenues to get into that sort of mischief.

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Halloween in Australia?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.