The No Bell Bicyclists

By 27 December 2012 189

An encounter today on the shared footpath/bicycle caused a bicyclist who had no bell. We did not hear him coming from behind. I asked him where his bell was. He said he didn’t need one as it didn’t fit on his bars.

Well here is what you need under the ACT Road Rules:

258 Equipment on a bicycle

A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have:

(a) at least 1 effective brake; and

(b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.

Offence provision.

Please login to post your comments
189 Responses to The No Bell Bicyclists
#121
KB19719:51 pm, 12 Feb 13

Visitor01Q said :

Quite frankly if we have tossers out there that think that a child, who inadvertently swerves in front of someone who hasn’t bothered to identify that they are there is worthy of abuse and that believe that only those on foot have to show any common courtesy at all then that shows that we clearly have an issue that needs to be policed (and when I say policed, I don’t necessarily mean by the police force, in this instance the rangers may well be more appropriate).

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

It may not have been intentional, I get that but do you think that maybe, just maybe your child accidentally walking in front of him scared the crap out of him & the crankyness was his flight or fight reaction?

You dont know, in the last 1/2 an hour he may have nearly been hit by a couple of cars, chased by a dog and had a flat tyre.

You never know what is going on in peoples lives to cause such a reaction over a small event.

A friend of mine committed suicide a week ago, a shock and the grief of an event like that can cause people to do silly things.

Then again, he could have been just an arsehole and TBH you are sort of displaying the same personality traits. Just let it go. Life goes on.

#122
screaming banshee10:02 pm, 12 Feb 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

Try ringing your bell a little earlier next time.

#123
OpenYourMind10:03 pm, 12 Feb 13

Just keep left, keep your dog on a leash to the left and keep your kids to your left and the problem is solved. Us sexy cyclists with our bulging calves in our hot lycra and bicycles more expensive than your car have no desire to crack our precious carbon fibre frames on your slowly ambling body.

#124
Girt_Hindrance10:17 pm, 12 Feb 13

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

I hope you’re doing okay in regards to your friend, and you raise an exceptionally valid point about personal circumstance. People rarely allow for what others may be going through when they start getting offended about this ridiculously small stuff.

#125
Visitor01Q10:17 pm, 12 Feb 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

I rang my bell as I approached from behind a parent and her children. I regret doing so now after the look of horror and panicked scrambling to get off the path and onto the grass. I felt like a twit, even though I was already on the grass overtaking them prior to ringing.
I won’t be ringin’ it ever again if I cause such trauma to the person who is at no risk of being injured in the first place.
I’m glad they veered left to, or it could have been worse….
Next headline – “Bike bell causes multiple injuries, cyclists asked to warn pedestrians that they are about to ring their bell”.

Then you failed to give them sufficient warning, and what you have presented is an excuse, not a justification.

#126
Visitor01Q10:24 pm, 12 Feb 13

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

In his mind, yes.

Visitor01Q said :

Nope, neither I nor my daughter were in his way. We were on the footpath (not a shared cycleway as far as I can ascertain but I could be wrong) and we were walking / scooting. Had a bike been coming up behind us, then it would be reasonable for me to expect a warning in which case we would have ensured there was sufficient space for the cyclist. As the cyclist chose not to warn us, then we were well within our rights to be where we were (which in reality was on the left 1/2 of the footpath anyway).

Visitor01Q said :

and he doesn’t know that in the last 1/2 hour I may have nearly been hit by a couple of cars / bikes, chased by a dog and had a blowout on a shoe .. what’s your point?

Visitor01Q said :

No, I don’t. However, it’s not relevant or appropriate to take out anger on others whether we know them or not. That’s not what reasonable adults do.

Visitor01Q said :

While I understand, I do not agree that these excuses are justifications for poor behaviour towards others.

Visitor01Q said :

Given he had a go at us today as well, as a carry on from yesterday (no kid to threaten today so he was just rude as he rode past) he is clearly an arsehole and if he tries it again tomorrow i’ll stop him, get his details and report him to the authorities.

#127
Visitor01Q10:25 pm, 12 Feb 13

OpenYourMind said :

Where are these sexy cyclists of which you speak?

#128
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd6:48 am, 13 Feb 13

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

Makes no difference bro. There is never any excuse to act that way in front of a child.

#129
KB197110:33 am, 13 Feb 13

Girt_Hindrance said :

Yeah, all good thanks. She was a riding buddy and we have all come together to help each other through it.

I ride with a great bunch of people.

#130
KB197110:53 am, 13 Feb 13

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

In his mind, yes.

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

In his mind, yes.

KB1971 said :

You really are no different to him, you are not accepting any part in the fracas but you have admitted that your daughter did sway in her path.

You said that you were walking on Commonwealth Avenue Bridge? Is this correct? That is a shared path. The only path is not that I know of between the two bridges is the one on the southern side of the lake right on the bank that goes from the Gallery to Lennox Gardens, the one set back from the bank is the shared path.
Yep, he did not warn you but as a pedestrian you have a responsibility to keep left, you say it’s reasonable for you to expect a bell, well its reasonable for him to expect you keep left no matter what.
My point about the history is that he may already be upset about something in his day and your incident was the catalyst.
I agree it’s not appropriate to take out your anger on someone else but you know; that’s life sometimes. I bet you have gone off at some poor checkout chick or someone driving down the road at some stage in your life. It happens.
You think I am making excuses? No I am just trying to give you a perspective from a different point of view but your pride and arrogance is not letting you accept it.

Lastly, I don’t believe he abused you on his own, it takes two to tango and the way you are posting here leads me to believe you may have had a go at him at some stage, either when he went past or when he said something to you.

#131
KB197110:54 am, 13 Feb 13

screaming banshee said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

Try ringing your bell a little earlier next time.

You are missing out on the big picture here Banshee………WILDTURKEYCANOE WAS ON A BIKE!!!

#132
KB197110:55 am, 13 Feb 13

Oh gawd, sorry for the quoting stuff up.

#133
wildturkeycanoe12:16 pm, 13 Feb 13

Just to clarify a point I didn’t convey correctly before, when I was overtaking the pedestrians I rang the bell from about 20 metres behind them, not while I was passing. I gave plenty of warning only to see them scramble to get out of my way, which was not my intention. I give a wide berth when going around, so that little ones might not suddenly jump out in front of me, as they are sometimes unpredictable.
Yes, I was on a bike, I am quite regularly. Surprised people? I can understand why you wouldn’t believe me though.

#134
KB197112:23 pm, 13 Feb 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

You are funny….. :)

#135
thebrownstreak6912:26 pm, 13 Feb 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

d.

So you did do something to cause the rider to get upset?

+1. It’s just not good enough.

#136
carnardly12:27 pm, 13 Feb 13

gungsuperstar said :

I’m a fairly new cyclist okay – you might not have read the other threads about cyclists even on this website.

Tell me, is there a single person out there for whom this is true? Does anyone know anyone who doesn’t recognise a bike bell sound, or who is offended by it? .

Yes, multiple people multiple times. I’ve had the “I don’t have to get out of your effing way”. err – no, I wasn’t expecting you to, I was just letting you know I was approaching so i didn’t frighten you.

Read some of the other cyclist threads on here and you’ll see that time and time again a bell has been misunderstood.

For the record, I ding about 15 metres back, and then call bike coming. If there are still people waddling like brown cows all over both side of a track I will ding again and hope they move left. Mind you, all the young ipod people who are in a world of their own still have a heart attack despite the above.

#137
Baldy1:09 pm, 13 Feb 13

We had an incident with two idiot bikers the other day coming back from the Multicultural Festival. We walking with a pram and there were two other couples nearby.

As we were walking along and taking over the other two prams these idiot bikers rode up and rode between the very small space between our pram and another, knocking both pram sushers aside.

Considering the riders looked like they were both in their late 30 and each had expensive bikes I would have thought a little curtesy would prevail but apparently, bikes have right of way whether it is on the road or the footpath.

#138
Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd2:02 pm, 13 Feb 13

Baldy said :

Those bike riders are putting themselves and bikes in serious danger if this is true.

#139
Ghettosmurf872:35 pm, 13 Feb 13

Baldy said :

Because the behaviour of 2 bike-riders is indicative of all bike-riders and how they adhere to both the law and general social interactions? The story was a good example of the bad behaviour of some people in our society and could have been linked to a general lack of empathy and common courtesy in today’s society…. until the sweeping generalisation at the end.

#140
Baldy2:44 pm, 13 Feb 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Baldy said :

Yes. The bikes were in serious danger. That was my only concern at the time as well.

Babies can take care of themselves.

And it is true. I have no interest in making up random stories just to post on Riot Act

#141
Jim Jones2:46 pm, 13 Feb 13

Ghettosmurf87 said :

Baldy said :

That post showed a hell of a lot more about the person who posted it than the cyclists in question.

#142
Baldy2:47 pm, 13 Feb 13

Ghettosmurf87 said :

Baldy said :

No. The sweeping generaliations come from other observations, like how bike riders will cluster at pedestrian crossing and cross en mass in the centre without a thought of the pedestrian. There are other examples and if you want to know what they are walk down a footpath one day.

By the way, that last is illegal. The law says you must get off your bike and walk across.

BTW this is not a bike bashing. I ride. I just have a lot more respect for other users of paths as well.

#143
Baldy4:58 pm, 13 Feb 13

Jim Jones said :

Ghettosmurf87 said :

Baldy said :

Yes. It shows that I’m concerned that the standard of respect that cyclist have in this town for pedestrians is sadly falling.

Or would you prefer me instead of making generalisations (which I admit it is, but an accurate one in my opinion) would you prefer me t find out and name everyone who breaks the law or shows the shocking lack of said respect.

Seriously mate. If you can’t add anything to the conversation other than “ohh I don’t have anything to add so I’ll insult the poster,” maybe you should just stay out of it.

Otherwise come back with a rebuttle of my statements on the subject matter with opinions/facts of your own.

#144
Grail5:23 pm, 13 Feb 13

I ride a bike. It has a bell. I always ring it five to ten seconds ahead of passing anyone slower than me. Sure, people scramble but that is because they panic about everything, not my problem. Sure, people do nothing. If they are in my way that is my problem, and I rectify it by getting out of their way as I pass.

Sometimes people lose their temper in public. The armchair moralists of The RiotACT obviously never lose their cool in public (probably because they never leave their mothers’ basements). For the rest of the world the usual way to handle the situation is to accept that someone is angry, and work from there.

Some people will always be rude in public: they have the attitude that they paid for this road, or this is their footpath, this is their lane, you are going too slow, or in some way are entitled to private occupation of public property. This is Sturgeon’s Law at work. Sensible people accept the situation as extant, and work from there.

I do not dismount for crossings. When driving, I stop to allow mounted cyclists to cross. Similarly, I do not complain when a pub doesn’t have dry straw to accommodate my horse. Some laws make no sense, so there is no point obeying them. Sure, I will get arrested some day. But I will deal with that when it happens. In the meantime I fund lobbying to have that useless law repealed.

But I do have a bell on my bike so I can warn people that I am approaching them. How they react to my approach is not my problem. If they panic because they were woken from a daydream then I consider that a civic benefit. Not my problem to worry about, and maybe I saved them from running under a bus.

#145
GardeningGirl6:04 pm, 13 Feb 13

Grail said :

Does anyone know the purpose of the rule? If someone approaches at a speed and direction that ensures I have time to see them, and if they are not impeding anyone else’s use of the crossing, I really don’t care if they walk or ride or tango their way across. Is the dismount rule meant to simply slow them down?

#146
Jethro7:30 pm, 13 Feb 13
#147
Jim Jones7:47 pm, 13 Feb 13

Baldy said :

My ‘opinion’ is you’re full of sh1t. Your ‘opinion’ that cyclists are all crap and show a ‘shocking lack of respect’ is a load of horsesh1t.

You’ve not bothered with any facts, but I can safely say that it is a fact that some dude making sweeping (bollocks) generalisations about an incredibly diverse group of road users isn’t the sparkliest penny in the fountain and has nothing to offer in the way of intelligent debate.

That’s my ‘rebuttle’.

#148
TheDancingDjinn8:39 pm, 13 Feb 13

Jethro said :

This

You sir, are the best.

#149
Martlark8:42 pm, 13 Feb 13

Grail said :

I ride a bike. …

I always get off and walk, slowly across, when cars are about.

#150
dungfungus8:55 pm, 13 Feb 13

Jethro said :

This

Well, sadly for Mr King he died alone at the bottom of a swimming pool. Appears he didn’t practice what he preached.

Sponsors
RiotACT Proudly Supports
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.