By 27 December, 2008 46

I have been delegated organiser of a get-together of friends (40ish year old women). I am thinking a really nice breakfast/brunch somewere on the southside or city, preferably outside with a lovely setting.  Any suggestions of places to go would be great.

Oh, and please don’t suggest Silo – I know it’s fantastic and all that but the crowds ………

Please login to post your comments
46 Responses to What’s a good cafe/restaurant operating at this time of year where a group of friends can have breakfast/brunch
#31
dorrie9:46 pm, 28 Dec 08

Pizzaz cafe in Kingston is pretty good. The ricotta hotcakes are wicked. Gets very busy but you can’t book a table.

#32
la mente torbida12:16 pm, 29 Dec 08

Surprised no-one has mention the cafe at the National Library

#33
byt20073:50 pm, 29 Dec 08

Podfood in Pialligo has been consistently excellent this past year, and the setting is really lovely. For the price, lunch is better value than breakfast, even though they do a fantastic breakfast. A really lovely place to sit and chat for hours. I think bookings are essential though.

Du Jour in New Acton does really great eggs for brekky — three poached come standard, which is really too many, but they are delicious. Good bacon and spinach too. The Big Breakfast is terrific. I would not recommend the pancakes (American style hotcakes) or the fruit bread (TipTop). The service however is some of the most forgetful in Canberra — not maliciously bad like in Verve in Manuka (where they treat you like you’re a real nuisance) — but incredibly slow and vague. No excuse either, as on none of the five occasions I’ve been has the place been full to even half capacity. Go when you have a bit of time to sit and chat and not worry about snappy service — the setting is relaxing. The pastries and tartlets are lovely, and the coffee is fine.

#34
byt20073:55 pm, 29 Dec 08

The Wine and Cheese Providore in Manuka has been hit and miss — two truly excellent breakfasts, and one fairly rotten. I highly recommend the banana bread however, and the bread (from Croissant D’Or) is excellent. The eggs are super fresh and local, and the local bacon was twice a stand-out, and once a miss.

#35
che11:00 am, 30 Dec 08

Well the Riot Team were hoping to have a nice lunch out today but just about all the places mentioned above were shut. Bum. Was really looking forward to visiting Zierholz again.

Still they all deserve a good rest and a break from work the same as everybody else.

Am looking forward to trying Podfood, the Piallago Winery and Delissio sometime soon though.

#36
Enthusiastic amateur2:43 pm, 30 Dec 08

Just Quitly (spelling?) Strange name, great food, service ranges form OK to excellent.

And the Hello cafe ant Campbell Shops

the chef there is a friend of a friend and is very passionate about using top produce, he doesn’t give his customers anything he wouldn’t eat himself and the coffee is drinkable (bonus)

#37
gibson7610:32 am, 31 Dec 08

It’s rare for me to get on a forum and bitch about something, but the sheer rudeness and hostility I encountered at Pod recently from one of their staff prompted me to register here and comment. I would strongly advise against eating there in future.

I consider myself (rightly or wrongly)reasonably well travelled, and I know it’s everyones right to have a bad day, but the older lady who appears to be staff supervisor there gave me so much thinly veiled static last time I was there that I’ll never return.

My 2 cents.

#38
Luke the Scouser10:46 pm, 01 Jan 09

just a bite at chifley shops does a nice breakfast but i am not sure if they are open at this time of year

#39
poptop5:45 pm, 03 Jan 09

Luke the Scouser said :

It is always wise to book at A Bite To Eat – they are V popular.

If outside and beautiful is a requirement, Hudson’s at the Botanic Gardens is hard to beat – they open at 8:30am every day [except Xmas Day]. I’ve not done their brekky, buth their lunches are nice.

#40
gun street girl6:49 pm, 03 Jan 09

poptop said :

Luke the Scouser said :

It is always wise to book at A Bite To Eat – they are V popular.

They’re closed at the moment, I think.

#41
ant9:58 pm, 03 Jan 09

Ah ha! Finally someone has been to the botanic gardens cafe. Thanks Poptop.

#42
jadie3602:43 pm, 07 Jan 09

we ended up going to Hudsons for lunch. really nice food, beautiful setting but very busy and just a tad crowded. still, a great time was had by all and thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

#43
poptop2:49 pm, 07 Jan 09

So you wanted uncrowded too? You should have said.

=-D

#44
canberragal1:15 pm, 20 Mar 09

BYT 2007 “As Nature Intended in New Acton has some of the worst eggs in Canberra — microwaved, I think. The setting also leaves much to be desired — half supermarket, half café. Very crowded and noisy on weekend mornings, and if you’re unlucky enough to be seated at the big communal table in front of the automatic door, it’s highly distracting to have customers streaming in and out behind you.”

Wow. I am shocked by these comments as As Nature Intended is by far my favourite breakfast hot spot in Canberra. half supermarket half cafe? – FABULOUS! Not only is the food great but I can also do a bit of shoppoing and get the kind of foods my diet requires. Who ever said convenience was a BAD thing? Very crowded and noisy on weekends just reflects the strong following they have – obviously the general opinion is that it is a good place to go – hence the crowd? Even with the lack of parking (which may be its only downfall)

The eggs are not cooked in a microwave they are cooked in a fry pan. You can see them doing it over the counter. they also have live music most weekends which makes for the perfect “brunch” location for my riding group and I.

Each to their own I suppose!

#45
Clown Killer1:29 pm, 20 Mar 09

Take a picnic bruch to Lanyon and spread out a rug on the grass. Magic setting.

#46
john6566566:46 pm, 23 May 09

Ozi said :

Ona Café (previously Kona Café) in Manuka is great. not a heap of space though, so call up Aaron the manager before you actually show up! :)

The coffee at Ona is very good; the food i would give 3 out of 5, on par with most other cafes. Aron the manager? yeah man! he partly owns Ona Coffee but unfortunately he is very interested in 15ish girls……

GET PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP

Halloween in Australia?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

IMAGES OF CANBERRA

Sponsors
Copyright © 2014 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.