Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Dealing with Centrelink when you can’t get out of the house?

T1G3R 27 July 2009 13

Hey there. I was just curious to know if anybody has had a run in with Centrelink and issues of being housebound.

At the moment I suffer greatly from anxiety and its quite difficult for me to get around or even see the doctor (which isnt prescribing me anything to treat me at the moment!).

I tried to lodge a claim in at centrelink but recently my anxiety has played up and i dont think i can make it all the way to Braddon for a job capactiy assessment or whatever without having to stop over at the hospital.  

I tried to dig up some information and I will give them a call tomorrow but I just want to know if anyone can shed some light on my dilemma.

Also is here any local services out there that can assist me for the meantime? 

I would appreciate any information that anybody can provide.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
13 Responses to Dealing with Centrelink when you can’t get out of the house?
Quokka Quokka 10:40 pm 27 Jul 09

T1G3R said :

I am definitely in need of medication but my current doctor which is in Fadden wont prescribe me anything till I see a specialist at Calvary. Unfortunately he cant seem to grapple with the fact I am to anxious to leave the house without someone with me and only for very short trips.

Try calling the Mental Health Crisis Team (1800 629 354). They might be able to arrange for a specialist to come to you. I’m sure it’s not the first time they’ve dealt with people unable to leave the house!

Dazzlar Dazzlar 10:07 pm 27 Jul 09

Try I’d also think about seeing another doctor! That is ridiculous to leave you in that condition without help!

T1G3R T1G3R 5:53 pm 27 Jul 09

Thanks for all your lovely advice. Unfortunately I didn’t get around to call Centrelink today as the phone is disconnected and I ran out of credit on my mobile but I will get in touch with them tomorrow. Hopefully they can be understanding and figure something out or I’ll just have to write to Hank Jongen.

I am definitely in need of medication but my current doctor which is in Fadden wont prescribe me anything till I see a specialist at Calvary. Unfortunately he cant seem to grapple with the fact I am to anxious to leave the house without someone with me and only for very short trips. At least he is getting all the forms and medical certificates completed for me but for now i’m just looking at a long road to recovery, medicated or not.

Waiting For Godot said :

There just isnt any information for people in my case and I’ve tried looking! Anyway I’ll let you all know how it goes. Thanks

pug206gti pug206gti 5:14 pm 27 Jul 09

Back in the day as a uni student I once discovered stamps, envelopes and letters. From here on in, I no longer spent hours waiting in Centrelink queues. I learned you can write a letter to your local Centrelink office, and with a bit of patience, get the same results that didn’t involve visiting the office.

When I had to prove my identity, they once even said I could post in my documents registered post, and they’d return them in the same way. I’m not sure how I’d have gone to the post office if I was housebound, but I digress.

So to anyone who dislikes the queue, I say develop a pen-and-paper habit. 55c was well worth it, even on a student budget.

Dazzlar Dazzlar 1:33 pm 27 Jul 09

Sounds like you definitely need medication and also a medical certificate (done on a blank Centrelink one)! Contact Centrelink and let them know what is happening, that you have a med cert on the way and where do you go from there?

Good luck!

Siobhan Siobhan 1:23 pm 27 Jul 09

Hi there,

My name is Siobhan and I work at Centrelink’s National Support Office.
Sometimes we can do special home visits, if a customer can’t make it to a Customer Service Centre.
It might be worthwhile having a chat to someone at the Braddon office over the phone to discuss your options.
Or, you can email Centrelink General Manager, Hank Jongen. His email address at
Hank often gives out his address to people who feel like they are lost in the system and have exhausted all other options.
In these situations Hank will organise for someone in his team to look into your case.

I hope this helps!

crankymum crankymum 12:17 pm 27 Jul 09

Definitely give adacas a ring – they are wonderful community advocates, you are sure to get on their books as a client.

Good luck with the whole Centrelink thing, consider the anti-anxiety medication, and try to live ‘in the moment’.

Relax, take a deep breath, it isn’t just you, they can be unhelpful and confusing for the best of us!

s-s-a s-s-a 11:44 am 27 Jul 09

I know that Centrelink will come to you in SOME circumstances, however I have no idea whether this is one of them. Talk to them on the phone (hopefully this is not going to be a problem) about your particular situation.

Spam Box Spam Box 10:46 am 27 Jul 09

Here –

Good people

impluvium impluvium 10:19 am 27 Jul 09

Have you said what you said in your post to someone at Centrelink? That would be a good way to find out if they have procedures already in place for people in your situation. Good luck — I hope you find a way through this.

NoAddedMSG NoAddedMSG 9:54 am 27 Jul 09

There are a few internet based resources, Beyond Blue is the big national one, and the ANU Centre for Mental Health research has a stack of interactive sites designed for people struggling with anxiety, go to and have a look at all the links on the lefthand side under “community resources”, especially the ecouch and moodgym links. These sites are based on cognative bahvioural therapy principles. BlueBoard (also linked to on the CMHR website) is a forum where people experiencing depression and anxiety can discuss what they are feeling. You are not alone, and there are people out there who can relate to what you are feeling.

In terms of getting in to CentreLink, is there anyone you know who could go with you? Maybe pick you up, drive you there and then sit with you in the waiting room? The person who would be assessing you might be willing to talk to you over the phone first to explain what the assessment will involve, so it is not such an unknown thing, or perhaps someone here will have done it, and might be able to tell you about it.

You have my sympathy, and I really hope that things get better for you.

farq farq 9:31 am 27 Jul 09

Take some xanax (alprazolam). Should make the trip out manageable.

Get a referral to a psychiatrist and ask for some. They hand it out pretty easily. Just don’t get hooked, the withdrawals can be pretty intense. Still good for short term relief.

Counselling is the best long term option. Drugs in the long term just make things worse.

Everything with the psychiatrist should be all bulk billed too, especially if you are on benefits.

Good luck.

Waiting For Godot Waiting For Godot 9:20 am 27 Jul 09

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | | |

Search across the site