More Speed Camera Sites

paperboy 21 January 2006 53

Watch your speed. Canberra now has another 22 speed camera sites.

Effective from last Tuesday (what an odd starting date) new locations have been added to the 62 already in use, including most of William Hovell Drive and Southern Cross Drive, and sections or new parts of Canberra Avenue, Gundaroo Drive, Commonwealth Avenue, Federal Highway, Clift Crescent, Cotter Road, Majura Road, Sulwood Drive, Yamba Drive and a couple of others.

The full list of 84 sites is
here.

I recall when the speed camera vans were first introduced to ACT roads, the idea was to position them in notorious ‘accident’ blackspots.

More than a few of these latest sites could more correctly be described as notorious ‘speeding’ blackspots. But then, is that really a surprise?

What’s Your opinion?

53 Responses to
More Speed Camera Sites
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
Mr_Shab 10:55 am 24 Jan 06

Why is everyone so desperate to change the speed limits? Are they so wrong that changes are needed every five years/every time someone has a prang? Not a bad suggestion Maelinar – but this is Canberra. Why add another layer of bureaucracy?

If the limits are too slow in an area, surely there are already mechanisms to have them changed.

I say again people…what’s the big freakin’ rush? As johnboy said at the start of the thread – why bother for 30 seconds difference.

Maelinar 10:34 am 24 Jan 06

LG, remember I know some of your acquaintances from our shared history 😛

(the shame)

Anyway, I don’t hit girls, cause they can’t reasonably be obliged to stand up in a one on one fight with me. I tend to check if they can catch.

On topic, I have always thought they should introduce a floating speed limit, where local governments can impose their own restrictions, however in areas where there are no accidents, the speed limit is increased by 10kmph every 5 years till it gets to open road (no limit) speed levels.

That way the roads will self-monitor themselves.

If there is a road fatality, the limit is reduced in that area by 10kmph until it’s 5 years is up, then it can increase again.

Obviously areas such as around schools will have sensible roadspeed caps, however there’s differences in all schools, and it’s not always necessary to slow down to 40 around every school, but since there’s a blanket limit, you have to.

That way, bonfire can cycle up the road on his recumbent bicycle, secure in the knowledge that when somebody takes him out in their volvo because they failed to see the wavy little orange flag, the roadspeed will be reduced in that area for the next half decade in pennance.

Everybody happy, self-regulating roadspeeds in action…

RandomGit 9:05 am 24 Jan 06

While we are talking speed limits and the like, anyone else notice that 5km bit of the Federal Highway going south that has been converted to 90kmh limit?

I was just about to ask that meself. Theres no reason for it. Sure it’s got more twists, but it’s still a solid peice of road with no houses on it or anything. Pissed me off.

Spot the wog 10:21 pm 23 Jan 06

Hook turns are the norm in the Melb CBD we have to contend with trams which can really do some damage but an uplift is the Cab drivers here are reliable and really nice (At least the ones that i get)

midnitecalla 9:48 pm 23 Jan 06

“robin Reliant” ? geez bonfire u couldnt find a Lightburn Zeta?

As for melburninans being good drivers its a matter of perspective really .

Its nothing to say that the worst drivers from an ACT point of view is VIC drivers. having been speared by a vic driver doing that infernal rght hook from a left lane out side of the manuka theatre it has spoilt the image forever for my self.

Spot the wog 8:40 pm 23 Jan 06

While this tread is on Speeding
Cameras and the like, Can somebody tell me why the behaviour patterns of Canberra drivers has lacked in professionalism and commonsense.

I had learned to drive in Melbourne where driving is constant stop/start and good lane changes, even driving through Sydney the skills of the locals was a high standard. But when i arrive in Canberra i am constantly assuming everyone is gonna do the unexpected and i will end up on the gravel, or worse. This is merely a criticism for those whom i believe deliberately cut me off, force me to slow for them to pass for being a Victorian. I quote from an earlier post many moons ago, “assume everyone is a worse driver as yuo and plan your survival accordingly”

LurkerGal 2:16 pm 23 Jan 06

Oops. sorry. Have never roped a steer either. I shall work on that as soon as possible.

Thumper: Only done a few on your list, sorry. But wish I had called Mael a big girl to his face when we met. I shall have to take a raincheck.

LurkerGal 2:14 pm 23 Jan 06

I’ve never hitch hiked, but aside from that, I’ve done everything on your list. Yay! I’m not as much of a nerd as I thought. (even including the sexual relationship now that I am finally OFF THE SHELF!)

Mr_Shab 2:00 pm 23 Jan 06

On the deserted roads of the NT, you’re more than welcome to kill yourself Bonfire. Be my guest. You won’t take me with you.

I’m sure you’re a great driver; but not everyone shares your infallible judgement and cat-like reflexes. Thus, we impose an artificial speed limit on roads to slow everyone down, and give them a touch more time to get the foot on the middle pedal in the event of something going wrong. No, it doesn’t always work. But nothing ever will. Especially “naturalising” the speed limit.

BTW – I’m well aware of how Autobahns work. I’ve spent enough time in Europe to gain more than a passing aquaintence with them. I just couldn’t be bothered explaining them for the purposes of my arguement – especially given that you so kindly did it for me. Regardless of the existence of speed limits, they are often set very high. Germany is also small enough that it is practical to monitor road conditions. That won’t work in Australia without vast expense. Where were you planning on getting that kind of cash?

I agree that better engineered roads will reduce the road toll, but it’s not the panacea you claim it to be. I’d be happier seeing better engineered, built and maintained roads AND judicious policing of speed limits and road rules. However, with reference to my earlier point, where will the money come from? People sticking to the speed limit will do just as much to reduce the road toll as better roads.

Anyway – that’s beside the point. The law as it exists is the law now. If you exceed the speed limit, you are BREAKING THE LAW. If you are caught breaking the law, you will be punished.

What are you in such a bloody rush for anyway?

Growling Ferret 1:47 pm 23 Jan 06

Can someone explain to me how that piece of dual freeway is more dangerous than the single lane ribbon of highway going to the coast, or to Cooma, or the million km of other highway around Australia?

Unsurprisingly, the Goulburn Hwy Patrol have decided that this is a great place to set up and ping motorists who fail to slow to a crawl to continue up a relatively safe piece of road…

bonfire 1:37 pm 23 Jan 06

shab thanks for the free chracter assessment, why dont you go and fist yourself.

if you remove artificial speed limits, then monitor everyones natural speed over a period of time you will find a statistical average. this would exclude the boy racer lane change morons and people like sgs who will do 50 in an 80 zone because thats as fast as the duck egg blue robin reliant will go.

the averaged speed woud be a truer reflection of a proper speed for an average car to travel at.

i know that real world counts for nothing to ideologues and zealots but let me add some.

when i lived in the nt you could head out of town and drive at a speed suitable for the conditions. on my way to or from darwin i would sit on 140-160 happily. most people did likewise. when you travel at 140 plus the only thing that overtakes you is motorcycles.

last time i checked, the nt had a very low road toll. examine those figures further and you see that the majority of thse deaths are in urban areas of the nt.

autobahns are not the speed free for alls most peopel imagine, and the germans have other safety devices outside speed cameras and speed signs. most autobahns are three lanes and you stay out of the third lane unless you are overtaking. many areas are speed restricted and clearly posted. they also have adjustable speed signs and displays of road conditions. your radio/cd will be automatically interrrupted with an ‘achtung achtung – something in german about the road up ahead’. it seems to work doesnt it.

hmm invest in road engineering and lower the road toll ? nah, we’ll just social engineer everyone into ‘speed kills’. and raise revenue.

so i’d say that my experience of roads, driving, different systems of road speed management etc would give me a fairly well rounded understanding of the complex issues surrounding road trauma.

Maelinar 1:23 pm 23 Jan 06

Thumper, thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m sure Sam and I would probably talk about the finer points of Linux, however if SGS called me a girl to my face I’m sure I wouldn’t spill my beer, I’d use his.

I think the point being that life skills generally imply that you don’t necessarily go up to people and insult them, nor should you do that online unless you are the type of person that is prepared to back yourself up in the real world.

JB, remember our conversation about the people that you have to keep on deleting wanting a bit of advertising and how it related to SGS ?

That might kill a few birds with a few stones out of yours and Thumpers lists :O

SGS, you’re completely entitled to your opinion bud, I’m sure you’ve been near a road before, and as a pedestrian, bus user, passenger etc, you’ve had your own experience of road usage that has come from everything that has happened around you, including the media you’ve been fed, be it news reports, newspapers, documentaries, heck even summernats exposure.

Whether or not anybody places any creedence in your opinions is over to them, but as is the unsaid rule when using this site: ‘be prepared to be flamed for everything you type, if that’s too hard for your fragile ego, don’t press the submit button’.

Whether or not you take any creedence from the opinions on your opinions, well that’s just going one step too far isn’t it ?

Mr_Shab 1:11 pm 23 Jan 06

“we would all be better off if no impose speed limits existed. traffic would then flow at a natural pace.”

Bravo Bonfire. What brand of crack are you smoking?

My natural pace of driving might be 50 in a 50 zone, but the boy racers who cut me up with monotonous regularity might think 140 is a bit more natural.

I’m guessing you’re thinking of the German Autobahns, where speed limits are set well above what most folk will happily drive at, thus giving a more “natural” flow of traffic. One all-important thing you’re forgetting is that the Germans have a thoroughly established culture of sensible driving withing one’s limits. Aussies (especially ones like you) tend to like driving sideways and bumping off the rev limiter.

Hell – I say we need more speed cameras, without posted sites. Let the operators park wherever they feel is the best spot to slow the traffic down. Then we might see some effect. Especially when the boy racer dipshits and angry suburbanites in V8 Commodores (cause you need one of those to drop the kids at soccer) end up paying so much in fines that they can’t afford to drive anymore.

Then, when I step onto my motorbike every morning, I won’t have quite so much of a thought in the back of my mind wondering what it would be like to be tetraplegic and eating through a tube.

I’m happy to see you speeding dipshits helping the ACT economy.

Okay. I’m done.

Thumper 12:50 pm 23 Jan 06

“the act gummint has no problem funding more speed camera vans, but cant pony up the money for extra uniformed police”

Good point. But speed vans make money. Extra cops cost money.

bonfire 11:35 am 23 Jan 06

riiiight and this ads to the pro-speed camera argument how exactly ?

uniformed officers identifying those who cant drive and putting them off the road is good policing. thats a positive road safety campaign.

its not a revenue raiser dressed up with ‘speed kills’ mantras.

interesting that the act gummint has no problem funding more speed camera vans, but cant pony up the money for extra uniformed police.

chrisjeanemery 11:09 am 23 Jan 06

see [Telegraph]

bonfire 10:27 am 23 Jan 06

we would all be better off if no impose speed limits existed.

traffic would then flow at a natural pace.

i defy anyone to provide evidence that speed cameras prevent road trauma.

i hope that the last year in the act is picked up by some researcher somewhere. speed limits dropped to 50kmh in streets, speed camers everywhere and yet the road toll has increased.

interesting and worth proper research not emotive point scoring from the cardigan wearers and those who would further jackboot over our rights.

if gummint were serious about preventing road trauma they would train peopel to drive properly in the first place. i did an advanced drivers course a few years after getting my license when i thought i was peter brock. it taught me what i didnt know and also not to panic when the unexpected happens.

more speed camers helps the budget, but not the safety of the citizens.

i’d slam sam too, but the poor little mites had enough. i liked john boys summary of how to gain experience.

without realising it he has described a filter of things which weed out people in an evolutionary way. if sam makes it through all that then he gains wisdom. a failing of his rants is a lack of wisdom and perspective.

i’ll say it again – an opinion is not an axiom.

johnboy 11:19 pm 22 Jan 06

My flat in london is actually in the movie Trainspotting. (ok, the exterior in one scene, and the bar fight rowards the end was in the pub around the corner which i didn’t like, as opposed to the pub around the other corner which I did)

the weirdest thing was the day I was up early in the morning to catch the advance screening of the movie, i discovered my street was closed while the IRA bombmaker who lived above us was having his flat stormed.

We were glad to see the back of the bastard as he was prone to skipping his round in the pub and the garbage dumping in the building ceased immediately following his forced departure.

those were the days.

Swaggie 10:14 pm 22 Jan 06

For all the whining they do seem to show some tolerance – I’ve been dead set caught doing around 8K over the limit and spent the next 5 kms cursing the ‘system’ while driving along – but no envelope ever arrived in the post and that’s happened twice.

Growling Ferret 8:09 pm 22 Jan 06

Out and about today, they were on the main st of Yarralumla getting people coming down the hill from the roundabout near Adelaide Ave, and then on Gundaroo Drive this afternoon.

Neither are road safety places, but would have lots of people creeping 5km over the limit. Its beyond cynical placement…

Next all speed limits will be lowered without anyone being told – and the first you know about it is when the letter from the revenue office lands in your letterbox.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.