Lifestyle

Get RSM on your side at tax time.

$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra

By Barcham - 28 August 2013 48

scales

Community Groups aiming to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant.

Katy Gallagher launched the $2.1 million 2014 program today.

Community groups with program and project ideas to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant, following the launch of the $2.1 million 2014 program by Chief Minister and Minister for Health, Katy Gallagher today.

“We know that the incidence of people who are overweight and obese is increasing in our community and the ACT Government is actively working to roll-out programs that deal with this health problem,” the Chief Minister said.

“As well as the many policies and programs being progressed by the government many community groups and not-for-profit groups also have great ideas to reduce the rate of obesity but are lacking the funding to get them off the ground,” the Chief Minister said.

“Healthy Canberra Grants will provide groups including community groups, school communities, and not-forprofit organisations with these funds so that they can help to address this growing health problem in our society.”

There’s going to be an information session on Tuesday the 3rd of September from 4.00 until 5.30 at the Rheinberger Centre in Yarralumla.
Check out www.health.act.gov.au/hpgrants for more info.

[Photo by Alan Cleaver (CC BY 2.0)]

What’s Your opinion?

48 Responses to
$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra
milkman 9:08 pm 28 Aug 13

LSWCHP said :

I’m tall with low bady fat and high muscle mass, 60 bpm resting heartrate, BP is generally around 115/65, great cholesterol etc etc. In short, I’m in tremendous shape for an old bastard.

If the gummint gives me only half (yes, you read that right) of that $2.1 Million, I will tell them my secret.

Pole dancing.

Ha – secret’s out, you get nothing!

Doc Dogg 8:52 pm 28 Aug 13

neanderthalsis said :

In the late 80s we had the “long run” where we would run a lap around the school after lunch and were timed. Gold stars were given to those kids who improved their lap times. We also had the health hustle (to such classics as Nutbush City Limits, Bad Bad Leeroy Brown and Do the Bartman), Blocko, T-ball, Red Rover and a sports shed full of equipment you could go and grab to have a game.

We also had a few teachers who would make you run laps if you were acting up. Imagine the uproar if that happened in school today.

LSWCHP 7:07 pm 28 Aug 13

Thumper 5:42 pm 28 Aug 13

Give me the money and I’ll go around poking fat kids with a stick for a year.

Seriously, all this will achieve will be, eat less, exercise more, something everyone knows.

dtc 5:30 pm 28 Aug 13

neanderthalsis said :

And think your study on the failings of the food pyramid happened a good many years ago: http://bit.ly/15vF5rP

Yeah, thanks for that. You did notice, however, that nonetheless the governments of most of the western world have just released another ‘recommended food pyramid’ (except as a plate) that is more or less the same as the old one? So maybe they should take money away from the public health people pushing that barrow and give it to the anti obesity people?

If we could just get rid of the ‘calories in vs calories out’ belief, that would be a good start.

Kids at my son’s school have been given a ‘movement band’ that apparently measures how far they move each day (like a pedometer but measures all movement). Everyone is getting 10km plus per day; but its an inner north school, so obviously that is expected….

devils_advocate 4:49 pm 28 Aug 13

My initiative is to amend the discrimination act so that it is no longer illegal for people or organisations to discriminate against the obese. So basically business as usual but with more complete information.

No direct costs to society and builds financial incentives into the system.

rosscoact 4:43 pm 28 Aug 13

Well I for one will be putting forward a proposal for this wonderful initiative

neanderthalsis 4:38 pm 28 Aug 13

dtc said :

neanderthalsis said :

$2.1 million for anti-obesity work against a population of some 380 000 equates to one cheese burger meal per head of population.

Here’s an idea, put the coin into upgrading walking paths around our lakes or putting new community gym equipment into local parks.

Fix the paving along Emu Bank so that runners don’t risk broken ankles on cracked paving that moves underfoot. Put better lighting on walking tracks and bike paths to encourage people to use them after dark. Legislate 30 minutes of compulsory exercise into all schools and workplaces daily. Buy every 10 year old in the territory a new bike.

Just don’t give it to special interest groups who will form a committee that examines how to get Canberrans to drive less and cycle more.

So, basically, improve the facilities for people who already use the facilities, and give kids a bike? Oh, and add another burden to the teachers (because its the kids that are generally obese rather than the 50 years olds?)

How about ‘do a study on the food pyramid and why its wrong for a lot of people’

Maybe I should be less subtle when I transition from sensible options into sarcastic remarks. But on the 30 mins of exercise issue, as a wee lad in primary school in the early 80’s we did what was termed a “health hustle” every morning. We were, rather comically , led by a nun in full habbit and wimple as we jumped, ran and carried on. It didn’t seem to overburden the teachers or detract from other learning back then. In fact I do believe that it drained energy from some of the more boisterous lads (myself included) so that we were less of a disruptive element in class. Developing a good knowledge of nutrition and fitness as well as having good examples set at home and school will set you up for a healthier life later on (unless you choose to ignore that learning, in which case, enjoy your diabetes).

Additionally, improved recreational facilities will increase the number of people accessing them.

dustytrail 4:19 pm 28 Aug 13

Why is the ACT Government wasting OUR money on talkfests about people who should eat less and exercise more? I am sure that the $2.1m could be spent on something that affects ALL Canberrans, not just the obese ones.

Oh, the feet in the picture are not those of an obese person but he /she needs to see a podiatrist, those little piggies look awfully painful.

muscledude_oz 4:12 pm 28 Aug 13

I have just started the muscledude_oz Community Initiative on Fitness and Obesity Reduction. At the moment we have only one member who belongs to three gyms and works out and swims laps seven days a week. Please send our grant to muscledude_oz c/- RiotACT.

gazket 3:20 pm 28 Aug 13

it’s called stop sitting your fat arse and it’s free

pink little birdie 2:49 pm 28 Aug 13

McDonalds actually sponsors alot of activities and community groups already. Consider that a heavy user of McDonalds is considered someone who eats it more than once a week.

Also consider that a small child (8) gets a free happy meal as an achievement award for sport. Mum and dad take them there to redeem it only small child has a brother (6) and sister (4) Mum and dad aren’t going to make seperate meals and everyone gets fed at maccas (2 happy meals and 2 adult meals and maybe dessert) Mcdonald’s is happy lots of business for a very small outlay.

Bring back the bike safety centre. Clean up the lakes to make them usable Oct-March. cheaper sports field/facility hire or have the ACT covered for sports liability cover.

bundah 2:35 pm 28 Aug 13

p1 said :

In my experience, Americans don’t know what a stone is.

But they sure as hell know what a quarter pounder is..

poetix 2:26 pm 28 Aug 13

p1 said :

poetix said :

I lost 20 kilos on vodka and fruit. I will write a breathlessly stupid book about the experience for a modest sum.

I’m on a similar diet, but offsetting rather a lot of beer with exercise.

poetix said :

Also, if the man on the scales weighs just under eight stone (I suspect that it is a seppo scale), I doubt that he needs to lose weight.

In my experience, Americans don’t know what a stone is.

Oops!

DrKoresh 2:19 pm 28 Aug 13

poetix said :

Funny that the information session is being held at a Centre that has the word ‘burger’ in its title.

Well, almost.