Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra

By Barcham - 28 August 2013 48

scales

Community Groups aiming to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant.

Katy Gallagher launched the $2.1 million 2014 program today.

Community groups with program and project ideas to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant, following the launch of the $2.1 million 2014 program by Chief Minister and Minister for Health, Katy Gallagher today.

“We know that the incidence of people who are overweight and obese is increasing in our community and the ACT Government is actively working to roll-out programs that deal with this health problem,” the Chief Minister said.

“As well as the many policies and programs being progressed by the government many community groups and not-for-profit groups also have great ideas to reduce the rate of obesity but are lacking the funding to get them off the ground,” the Chief Minister said.

“Healthy Canberra Grants will provide groups including community groups, school communities, and not-forprofit organisations with these funds so that they can help to address this growing health problem in our society.”

There’s going to be an information session on Tuesday the 3rd of September from 4.00 until 5.30 at the Rheinberger Centre in Yarralumla.
Check out www.health.act.gov.au/hpgrants for more info.

[Photo by Alan Cleaver (CC BY 2.0)]

What’s Your opinion?

48 Responses to
$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra
John Moulis 5:25 pm 04 Sep 13

Aeek said :

One of my mates is extremely obese. Its a side effect of his medication that he needs to not be insane. I guess it is his choice, but really what choice does he have ?

That isn’t an excuse. I was put on Risperdal in early 1996 and I went from 81kg to 125kg within a year. I gave up my gym and swimming routine and spent the next five years doing nothing. The Mental Health Service introduced a compulsory sports program in early 2001 and I was asked what sports I had done. I mentioned that I did swimming and gym training and I was given free admission to a pool and a heavily discounted casual visit fee at a gym. By the end of the year I had lost 20kg.

During early December that year the program ended and I wasn’t readmitted the following year. Over the next few years I was back at 125kg before deciding by myself to get back into gym training and swimming. I reformed my eating habits and within two years I was 82kg.

Mental illness or being on anti-psychotic medication is not an excuse for obesity. You do have a choice and if a carrot and stick approach is adopted then obesity can be beaten.

Aeek 3:52 pm 04 Sep 13

dtc 3:23 pm 04 Sep 13

miketen said :

First time poster as I was so peed to read about these obesity grants I had to write in about the hypocrisy of Gallagher. About the same time she announced these extra grants she also hiked up the rates and fees for canberra’s cricket clubs and tennis clubs, something like a 300% increase in rates. I assume tennis and cricket fields don’t contribute to weight loss in Katy’s world, so she’s taking money from those healthy activities (which benefit thousands of young and old Canberrans) and giving the money away to some unproven grantee’s who think they can solve the worlds fat problem.

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.

She, personally, did it? Not, say, the independent decision maker within TAMS? Or the general ‘user pays’ system that most taxpayers are usually happy to have, other than when they are the user and are required to pay?

housebound 2:15 pm 04 Sep 13

miketen said :

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.

But those clubs are all community supported. They won’t give Katy her announceables and her chance to pander to special interest groups.

miketen 1:00 pm 04 Sep 13

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.

devils_advocate 11:10 am 29 Aug 13

dtc said :

Its not just the thermic effect. For example, carbs result in insulin production which results in the energy being stored as fat; whereas protein doesnt result in insulin production so reduced fat production (this is very simplistic and the effect differs between people – some people can carb out without gaining weight, but for others cutting the carbs may be all that they need).

Also differs within the same person based on age. In my teens and early twenties I could eat crap without any ill effects. Since hitting my 30’s I’ve had to put some thought into my diet.

dtc 10:35 am 29 Aug 13

bundah said :

Ben_Dover said :

dtc said :

If we could just get rid of the ‘calories in vs calories out’ belief, that would be a good start.

???????

Yep it’s apparently not that simple for not all calories are the same

My version

Calories are just a measurment of energy. Everything can be measured by its calorific effects. As an extreme argument, no one expects that 10 calories of petrol will be treated by your body in the same way as 10 calories of protein.

So why should people think that 10 calories of protein will be dealt with by your body in the same way as 10 calories of carbs or 10 calories of fat? Their only similarity is that they are digestible by the body, but otherwise do not think they are ‘the same’. As mentioned, a calorie is only a unit of measurement; it doesnt mean that things with the same calorie measurment are the same thing.

Anyway, have a read through people like Tom Naughton or Gary Taubes etc. They are a bit OTT in my view (‘how do you know if someone is on the paleo diet’ ‘they will tell you’) but a lot of their claims are backed up by actual science rather than general belief.

devils_advocate 10:06 am 29 Aug 13

thebrownstreak69 said :

magiccar9 said :

devils_advocate said :

My initiative is to amend the discrimination act so that it is no longer illegal for people or organisations to discriminate against the obese. So basically business as usual but with more complete information.

No direct costs to society and builds financial incentives into the system.

Very nice idea. When an obese person realises they can’t get a job because they’re too fat, perhaps that will be a better incentive. Same goes for getting into a restaurant, on a bus/train, etc. This change would allow the interviewer (or whoever) to tell them so.
I think we need less ‘hand holding’ for obese people. In most cases they got themselves into this situation, so they need to step up and take some responsibility to get out.
I also don’t see how the Government’s money is going to do anything about the issue, they can fund all the incentives under the sun, but its not going to get the fatties through the door to utilise them.

I wonder how this would read if we changed the words ‘obese person’ to ‘drug addict’.

Not very much. AFAIK it’s currently not legal to discriminate against someone purely on the basis of an addiction (drug affected maybe different, addiction discrimination probably a no-no). But as with obesity, people are probably reluctant to hire addicts of any kind and the only effect of the law will be to force them to find some other plausible reason for them not getting the job.

devils_advocate 10:04 am 29 Aug 13

Ben_Dover said :

dtc said :

???????

As noted below, not all calories are the same. Cliffs version: some calories require a lot of effort on behalf of the body to process. For example it is much harder for the body to process, say, a steak or some vegetables compared with a sugary soft drink or chocolate. Healthy foods create a ‘thermic effect’.

Sugar is the devil. It takes zero effort to digest, and leads to accumulation of visceral fat, which is the bad one that everyone seems to ignore. Probably also why sugary junk gives you immediate gratification then you have a sugar crash and either feel like crap or need more. By contrast a nice steak with some veg and maybe a little bit of complex carbs if not too late in the day and you’re ready for anything.

bundah 9:03 am 29 Aug 13

Ben_Dover said :

dtc said :

???????

Yep it’s apparently not that simple for not all calories are the same

thebrownstreak69 8:39 am 29 Aug 13

magiccar9 said :

devils_advocate said :

No direct costs to society and builds financial incentives into the system.

Ben_Dover 7:40 am 29 Aug 13

dtc said :

???????

magiccar9 6:17 am 29 Aug 13

devils_advocate said :

No direct costs to society and builds financial incentives into the system.

Postalgeek 10:40 pm 28 Aug 13

I’d like to see some of the money invested in mouth gags for over-compensating ex-fatties who preach on and on about their belated discovery of self-discipline.

Thumper 9:19 pm 28 Aug 13

LSWCHP said :

I’m tall with low bady fat and high muscle mass, 60 bpm resting heartrate, BP is generally around 115/65, great cholesterol etc etc. In short, I’m in tremendous shape for an old bastard.

If the gummint gives me only half (yes, you read that right) of that $2.1 Million, I will tell them my secret.

I’m short, but in pretty good nick. Okay, I drink about ten times the recommended daily intake but I’m still in good nick. I’ll sell my secret as well…