Lifestyle

Thinking about your business
Is a big part of ours

$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra

By Barcham 28 August 2013 48

scales

Community Groups aiming to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant.

Katy Gallagher launched the $2.1 million 2014 program today.

Community groups with program and project ideas to reduce obesity in the ACT are being encouraged to apply for a Healthy Canberra Grant, following the launch of the $2.1 million 2014 program by Chief Minister and Minister for Health, Katy Gallagher today.

“We know that the incidence of people who are overweight and obese is increasing in our community and the ACT Government is actively working to roll-out programs that deal with this health problem,” the Chief Minister said.

“As well as the many policies and programs being progressed by the government many community groups and not-for-profit groups also have great ideas to reduce the rate of obesity but are lacking the funding to get them off the ground,” the Chief Minister said.

“Healthy Canberra Grants will provide groups including community groups, school communities, and not-forprofit organisations with these funds so that they can help to address this growing health problem in our society.”

There’s going to be an information session on Tuesday the 3rd of September from 4.00 until 5.30 at the Rheinberger Centre in Yarralumla.
Check out www.health.act.gov.au/hpgrants for more info.

[Photo by Alan Cleaver (CC BY 2.0)]

What’s Your opinion?

48 Responses to
$2.1 million to reduce obesity rates in Canberra
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
zllauh 3:23 am 19 Aug 15

why cannot people just workout, join a gym, get a nutritionist !
One’s health should be the top priority rather than work which is the other way around now a days

gazket 4:58 pm 20 Oct 14

why do the gov hire so many fat people at the dept of health

BimboGeek 10:00 pm 04 Sep 13

Interesting image choice. The person photographed is under 50kg. This is a thinspo picture, traded between anorexics on blogs and fora.

So, nothing to do with obesity.

John Moulis 5:25 pm 04 Sep 13

Aeek said :

One of my mates is extremely obese. Its a side effect of his medication that he needs to not be insane. I guess it is his choice, but really what choice does he have ?

That isn’t an excuse. I was put on Risperdal in early 1996 and I went from 81kg to 125kg within a year. I gave up my gym and swimming routine and spent the next five years doing nothing. The Mental Health Service introduced a compulsory sports program in early 2001 and I was asked what sports I had done. I mentioned that I did swimming and gym training and I was given free admission to a pool and a heavily discounted casual visit fee at a gym. By the end of the year I had lost 20kg.

During early December that year the program ended and I wasn’t readmitted the following year. Over the next few years I was back at 125kg before deciding by myself to get back into gym training and swimming. I reformed my eating habits and within two years I was 82kg.

Mental illness or being on anti-psychotic medication is not an excuse for obesity. You do have a choice and if a carrot and stick approach is adopted then obesity can be beaten.

Aeek 3:52 pm 04 Sep 13

dtc 3:23 pm 04 Sep 13

miketen said :

First time poster as I was so peed to read about these obesity grants I had to write in about the hypocrisy of Gallagher. About the same time she announced these extra grants she also hiked up the rates and fees for canberra’s cricket clubs and tennis clubs, something like a 300% increase in rates. I assume tennis and cricket fields don’t contribute to weight loss in Katy’s world, so she’s taking money from those healthy activities (which benefit thousands of young and old Canberrans) and giving the money away to some unproven grantee’s who think they can solve the worlds fat problem.

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.

She, personally, did it? Not, say, the independent decision maker within TAMS? Or the general ‘user pays’ system that most taxpayers are usually happy to have, other than when they are the user and are required to pay?

housebound 2:15 pm 04 Sep 13

miketen said :

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.

But those clubs are all community supported. They won’t give Katy her announceables and her chance to pander to special interest groups.

miketen 1:00 pm 04 Sep 13

Well done Katy Gallagher, irony at it’s best, hypocrisy at worse.