News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

20 more reasons to not catch the bus

By johnboy - 14 January 2013 61

buses

Shane Rattenbury has announced a fare increase for the ACTION bus network:

“From 4 February 2013, MyWay bus fares will increase by five percent and there will be changes to monthly trip caps,” said Mr Rattenbury.

“The fare changes reflect rising costs of operation and improvements to the public transport system. The last increase in bus fares was July 2010.”

“We are making ongoing improvements to ACTION, including installing new bus shelters, upgrading stops to comply with disability standards, purchasing new buses, and providing new bus services.

“I’m excited to introduce Canberra’s first real time passenger information system later this year. Passengers waiting for buses will be able to see live information on the timing of their bus.

bus fares

What’s Your opinion?

61 Responses to
20 more reasons to not catch the bus
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
DrKoresh 11:51 am 15 Jan 13

cyla said :

There is no incentive to take a bus if you only have a short trip. I travel 6kms to work each day and I don’t have to pay for parking so why would I bother paying $5 a day to wait around for a bus? If each trip cost me $1, then I might consider it, but it seems to only be worth it if you have to pay a fortune for parking in the city. Instead I enjoy the comfort of my car, and take a parking spot from someone who has to drive from the other side of town. I think the fare should be based on how far you go, like in a taxi and it should be really cheap if you just need to get a few kms to the shops etc.

Then you’d have folks like me out in the boondocks having to pay $10 to spend an hour on the lumping bus just for a glimpse of civilisation. I like the way you were able to admit how selfish you are to drive the three minutes into work and take a spot from someone on the far-side of town, but it confuses me that you realise it and yet don’t bus it or bike it or, just for the novelty, walk. 6 kms isn’t all that far, even on foot and (assuming you aren’t crippled) is probably the most straight-forward way of getting your daily halfhour of exercise.

Brandi 11:12 am 15 Jan 13

davo101 said :

cyla said :

I travel 6kms to work each day

That’s within bike range–total cost too small to bother counting.

Bingo

davo101 9:55 am 15 Jan 13

cyla said :

I travel 6kms to work each day

That’s within bike range–total cost too small to bother counting.

Bluenomi 9:43 am 15 Jan 13

I must be old, I can remember when bus fares were 80 cents and the outrage when they went upto a dollar!

cyla 9:39 am 15 Jan 13

Antagonist 9:28 am 15 Jan 13

Innovation said :

Jethro said :

God Canberrans can be whingers. $2.65 for a bus ticket that can take you from one side of the city to the other.

As far as public transport costs go compared to other cities, that’s pretty bloody cheap. Even the cash fare of $4.20 is reasonable.

I agree! Assuming that someone is travelling across Canberra from one suburb to another that could work out to as little as $1.33 per hour…… There would be very few transport networks that could provide that kind of service for that price.

Yeah, right. There are very few networks that can consistently turn a 30 minute drive into a 2 hour + bus ride. There are also very few transport networks that can run at $100 million per year loss and continue to operate. How are they going with the $45k+ daily running costs for empty busses? Yeah – they are providing a great service for $125 million per year. Not!

davo101 8:55 am 15 Jan 13

c_c™ said :

+registration and CTP
+oil
+servicing
+tyres

Betting that’s a whole heap more than $1219

+insurance
+parking

Innovation 8:29 am 15 Jan 13

Jethro said :

Baggy 7:56 am 15 Jan 13

Jethro said :

You miss the point, jethro.

We don’t whinge because of the fare increase. We whinge because of the excuse that it is to cover “improvements” we never seem to see, and bus shelters they’re not even paying for which don’t provide much in the way of shelter at all. Not to mention that they increase fare costs to cover “rising costs of operation” in a business that loses millions of dollars per annum.

It’s daft, there is no other word for it.

what_the 1:54 am 15 Jan 13

Jethro said :

Cheap for Australia? Because other countries seem to have fares set up a lit cheaper even for subways for instance which have a lot more overhead.

Paul0075 11:33 pm 14 Jan 13

I think the increases are very minor. The prices are very reasonable, especially compared to other networks. ACTION have some of the newest fleet in the country too, so I think a few increases to cover new infrastructure to go with the newer buses isn’t much of an ask.

c_c™ 11:15 pm 14 Jan 13

Mathman said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

eatthatfrog said :

With the increases the fare and the monthly cap, I will now be paying up to $106.00 a month or $1,272.00 a year.

Cheaper than petrol bro

Hmm, let’s see…

$1,272 will buy 848 litres of petrol at $1.50/litre.

The average Australian car gets 11l/100km fuel economy.

848 litres of petrol at 11l/100km gets you 7,709km or just over 33km per day based on 46 work weeks (leave + public holidays).

So unless you live deep dark south Tuggeranong or the frontier settlements of West Belconnen on north Gungahlin, then no, the bus fare is not cheaper than petrol.

+registration and CTP
+oil
+servicing
+tyres

Betting that’s a whole heap more than $1219

Jethro 10:17 pm 14 Jan 13

Mathman 9:52 pm 14 Jan 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

eatthatfrog said :

Cheaper than petrol bro

Hmm, let’s see…

$1,272 will buy 848 litres of petrol at $1.50/litre.

The average Australian car gets 11l/100km fuel economy.

jase! 9:32 pm 14 Jan 13

“I do not expect the fare increase to impact negatively on passenger numbers”

to reduce demand on parking you raise the cost
to reduce demand for cigarettes you raise the cost
but
raising the cost of buses won’t change demand

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 9:15 pm 14 Jan 13

eatthatfrog said :

I hit my cap every month.

At the moment, that costs me up to $90.72 a month, or $1,088.64 a year.

So unless I hack my finishing times, I will now be paying $183.86 extra a year. Of course, *that* information is stuck at the bottom of the press release.

Thanks, ACTION!

Cheaper than petrol bro

NewDeal777 9:10 pm 14 Jan 13

Having grown up in Canberra..I feel your pain.

Train, Metro, Tram, Bus…THIS is public transport…it is 99.9% on time too 🙂 AND…Roads are great if you drive…snow cleared within 12 hours…:)

Frustrated 9:01 pm 14 Jan 13

schmeah said :

Paying more for the honour of riding Canberra’s totally inefficient bus network! Yay!

I’m still waiting for the government to upgrade the buses which plough the inner, suburban networks. I’ve been getting the number 2 bus – from Woden to Dickson – for about 3 years and the number of times I’ve seen little, old, walking frame ladies struggle to get onto those old, sweaty buses is really depressing. I dread that one day it will end with one of them being seriously hurt. It just seems the government has been promising this upgrade for a very long time now.

Given the route takes in the local, low-density residential network – as opposed to the direct routes which take in those living in high-density environments might use (along Northbourne etc) – where most of our senior citizens would reside I’m surprised the government has not at least tried to prioritse these buses.

Sure, the useage isn’t as high, but couldn’t they have shared the upgrade around more?

Action bus network has always been rubbish, long before self-government came along and took over.

LSWCHP 7:54 pm 14 Jan 13

RedDogInCan said :

“I do not expect the fare increase to impact negatively on passenger numbers. At this stage, I think the key to more passengers is to introduce more frequent and convenient services.”

No sh*t, Sherlock! And the plans to introduce more frequent and convenient services are….?

From the press release:

“Catching an ACTION bus daily to and from Civic remains $41.00 per week cheaper than driving and parking, not including additional costs such as petrol.”

What coolaid are these people drinking. Catching a bus is $41 per week cheaper only if you get rid of your car completely and rely solely on ACTION to transport you around town – good luck with that.

Nail hit on head. I relied on buses for many years before I could afford my own transport, and it was difficult to get around. I expect it would still be very difficult to rely solely on public transport in Canberra. So even if you catch a lot of buses, you’ll still have a car if you can afford one.

The thing that makes it difficult for my wife and I is that neither of us live close to where we work due to circumstances outside our control, which would mean multiple trips and long waits for both of us. Factors like that mean that I suspect it’ll be a long time before I’ll be commuting on buses.

RedDogInCan 6:47 pm 14 Jan 13