News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

31 October 2011 the last day for light plastic shopping bags

By johnboy - 28 October 2010 105

[First filed: Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:31]

plastic bags

Simon Corbell has announced the end of light plastic shopping bags with the final ban to be in place from 1 November next year.

Before panicking bear in mind there will be many exemptions:

The Plastic Shopping Bags Ban Bill 2010 will ban the supply of plastic shopping bags of 35 microns or less, generally the type distributed through supermarkets, grocery stores and takeaway food outlets.

A range of bags will be unaffected by the ban, including barrier bags of the type dispensed from a roll to hold items such as fruit or meat and heavier retail bags used in department, footwear and clothing stores.

The Government expects that retailers will provide a range of bags to consumers to replace light weight plastic bags including reuseable ‘green’ bags, paper bags and biodegradable bags which meet Australian Standard AS 4736-2006. The sale of plastic bin liners for waste containers in the home is unaffected by the ban.

I’m still not sure how we’re getting greasy take-away home without making a mess in the car, but we’re going to find out.

UPDATE: The Greens’ Caroline Le Couteur has expressed her pleasure at this piece of Green policy being adopted.

What’s Your opinion?

105 Responses to
31 October 2011 the last day for light plastic shopping bags
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
James-T-Kirk 2:58 pm 27 Oct 10

Now, good people is the correct time to enter the market for making 36 micron bags.

What a twit!

aidan 2:47 pm 27 Oct 10

schmeah said :

Oh, John Boy – is that a tin of ‘pal’ dog food I see? Do you know how bad that crap is? it’s like feeding your pooch a big mac every day!

S’ok. It’s not for the dog.

More subscribers now so JB can eat properly!

I predict massive panic buying of shopping bags by the morbidly stupid.

schmeah 2:20 pm 27 Oct 10

Fano, why don’t you look at the South Australian model – it’s been implemented since 2008 and there haven’t been riots because people have found themselves unpredicatably at the shops without a bag. They just have to pay 5cents (or whatever it is to use a bag – Borders in Civic also uses this option).

Amazingly enough, the South Australian model has also come up very favourably – they even researched community attitudes to it 1 year on;

Big deal, you get off the bus and you have to go to the shops and you don’t have a bag! This happens to me all the time, what do I do – I buy what I REALLY need, and carry it home and if it fits in my bag (as I imagine you too often travel around with a bag of some description) I put it in my bag just the same.

If peeople are so concerned about bin liners, than save the bags you will still get from everywhere else and use them as a bin. Or buy a composter, put your waste in there and then sell it to people in the neighbourhood who have gardens and are in need of compost.

These petty arguments about something that has been a very long time in the pipeline are so counterproductive. It’s a small step sure, but it’s a step nonetheless. Stop moaning about how much you’ll be inconvenienced (when really you’re just sounding lazy)!

emd 1:55 pm 27 Oct 10

I own a retail shop, and I have never used lightweight plastic bags. I tried cornstarch biodegradable bags, but found that large, sturdy brown paper bags were better value for money and looked nicer too.

Do you know you don’t actually have to use a bin liner bag at all? You can just chuck all the rubbish directly into the big green bin. Just hose it out regularly, and it won’t be a problem. I have at times resorted to a liner for the nappy bucket (cloth nappies, not landfillers), but have found those roll-up nylon bags are a good fit, washable, and don’t hold stains. Now if I could just find a small bin the right size for those little cornstarch bags, the compost bin liner issue would be solved too.

Once upon a time, there were no plastic bags, and our grandparents seem to have survived the experience. I’m sure we will survive too.

Solidarity 1:50 pm 27 Oct 10

KB1971 said :

cmdwedge said :

KB1971 said :

TVStar said :

Does Lin Hatfield Dodds still have here 4wd?

All cars are environmentally unfriendly, not just 4WD’s.

Brake pad life: Small cars can get exceptional brake pad wear, I have seen a Nissan Pulsar get 120,000km out of a set of pads. 4WD’s also get similar brake pad wear, I have a mate with a 1993 Toyota Hulux, 290,000km on its original brake pads. Brake pad wear is also variable due to driving styles. Falcons & Commodores, I replaced a set of pads at 9,000km in a Falcon once.

Overall vehicle quality: many 4wd’s are built stronger & last longer that your average 2wd car reducing the amount of natural resources required to build another one (I am not taking the original drain on resources in this statement, just the follow on.)

Citation needed

Frano 1:49 pm 27 Oct 10

Thoroughly Smashed said :

Maybe I can contribute… Yes that’s it, if I forget my green bags, I’ll have to drive back home to get them! Personal responsibility be damned, take that environmental policy!

If you are planning to go to the supermarket, then yes it is not much of an effort to take your ‘environmental’ bags with you. However, what about situations where you make an impromptu run into the shop. Such as:
1. You get off the bus after work. You have a 5/10 minute walk home. You then decide to duck into the supermarket to get milk, bread, eggs, vegemite. Not a major shop, but you can’t really carry these items by yourself.. It is not practical to walk home, then walk/drive back to the shop again.
2. You work in a major hub (Civic, Belco, Tuggers, etc) and you need a few groceries for work or home. You decide to walk across to the mall. You have no bag?

Will we be able to ‘buy’ a bag adhoc?
I guess we can buy bin liners in the supermarket and then use them as our shopping bag….which will then end up as a bin liner at home….and then, oh dear landfill!

Has anyone looked at the flow-on effects?

p.s. Before some off you go off at me, I recycle heavily, but this just seems another ill-conceived feel-good idea.

MissChief 1:49 pm 27 Oct 10

I’ve often wondered what the point of this is when everyone is still using garbage bags and bin liners for their rubbish bins. Surely they need to look at making those bags biodegradable/recycled also? Instead it seems the new focus is on making plastic garbage bags and bin liners smell like citrus or mint. It really doesn’t figure.

KB1971 1:20 pm 27 Oct 10

CMDwedge:

Interesting article in Drive.com today:

TVStar, you you have a point there but to be honest, I travel domestically quite a bit & the with the business class seats up the front of a 737 you might only just get one more row of seats in there, 6 more people is hardly an evironmental disaster.

Cant comment on larger aircraft.

& no I dont work for Climate Change.

GardeningGirl 1:15 pm 27 Oct 10

Wish people would just adopt an attitude of reducing waste and pollution. I don’t like these token bans while other problems, equally or even more valid, go unaddressed. Yes, it’s a CONSPIRACY to make us feel like we’re doing something! (Couldn’t resist.)

TVStar 1:02 pm 27 Oct 10

KB1971 said :

TVStar said :

KB1971 said :

What does a first class ticket have to do with the environment?

I can’t argue with stupidity. Sorry.

What yours?

So, instead of actually backing up your points when challenged you just resort to a personal attack?

Stupid is as stupid does………

Clearly, a first class ticket involves more space and weight on a plane, which leads to more fuel being consumed. While flying on a long-haul flight is actually one of the most energy efficent forms of transport, first class tickets, which cost many times more, are a waste of the world’s resources.

You don’t work at the Department of Climate Change do you? Ever been on a Climate Change junket?

KB1971 12:57 pm 27 Oct 10

cmdwedge said :

KB1971 said :

TVStar said :

Does Lin Hatfield Dodds still have here 4wd?

All cars are environmentally unfriendly, not just 4WD’s.

I would wager that my little Honda Jazz is more environmentally friendly than LH-D’s V8 4WD. It’s just amazing to see the Greens defend the indefensible. Yes, all cars are environmentally unfriendly. Are they EQUALLY environmentally unfriendly? Or are you just butthurt that the Greens spent $500K on a campaign which netted exactly 0 seats?

Agreed. Some more than others but people tend to think that drving a small car is a magic bullet.

Some examples of the lack of equality when people look at 4WD’s (given it is only in the last 5 years that 4 cylinder vehicles have become uber fuel efficient, anyone remember the 2.6 Magna?)

Fuel cost: Yes there is a fair difference in fuel cost with some 4wd’s such as the V8 Landcruiser using near 20lt/100km. That is an extreme, most COMMON 4wd’s now have common rail direct injection diesel engines with a prticulate filter. The Nissan Pathfinder comes to mind, used 11l/100 around town, not much more than say a Mazda 6 with its 4 cylinder engine. Smaller front wheel drive cars use a lot less but I might also add the fuel consumption is a variable thing.

Tyre cost: most cars that are not 4wd’s will get about 30-40,000km from a set of tyres. 4wd’s can get consistently 80-100,000km from a set of tyres (depending on tyre choice some get more).

Battries: the batteries in a hybrid car are more environmentally unfriendly that the car itself.

I could go on.

I was not really having a go at the Green thing as I am not actually a supporter of the Greens, I was having a poke at an unsubstantiated comment made by a goose who does not appear to know what they are talking about.

Thumper 12:36 pm 27 Oct 10

That’s one of the funnier things I’ve read this month.

KB1971 12:34 pm 27 Oct 10

TVStar said :

KB1971 said :

What does a first class ticket have to do with the environment?

I can’t argue with stupidity. Sorry.

What yours?

Stupid is as stupid does………

frontrow 12:30 pm 27 Oct 10

Is this going to get rid of plastic bags or are the supermarkets going to start using 36 micron bags?

Will there be inspectors?

Holditz 12:26 pm 27 Oct 10

You know, despite a year’s warning and ample time to adapt, people are still going to roll up at the cash register on 1 November 2011 and ask “where’s the plastic bags?” And when they are told, they will say, “I wasn’t told this! When did this happen?”

p1 12:24 pm 27 Oct 10

Why do people need those placky bags in the veggie section? I put snow peas, beans, etc in the paper bags they provide for mushrooms, and just toss the rest of the veggies in together.

cmdwedge 12:23 pm 27 Oct 10

KB1971 said :

TVStar said :

Does Lin Hatfield Dodds still have here 4wd?

All cars are environmentally unfriendly, not just 4WD’s.

schmeah 12:03 pm 27 Oct 10

Cue the pensioner onslaught! I do believe I have heard it all – plastic bags are an assault against the aged pensioner! Plastic bags are not going to send you to the poor house, a lot of bad habits or unnecessary wastage might however, send everyone to the poor house.

A lot of people use plastic bags for bins, so everyone, not just pensioners, are going to have to find an alternative! And how much will these bags cost? 10 cents, 50 cents? Why don’t you buy some green bags and then occasionally resort to buying the odd plastic bag for your bin liners?

Or, just go to the supermarket and buy bin liners like everyone else!!!

rosscoact 12:00 pm 27 Oct 10

the sky is falling the sky is falling!

19 posts and no conspiracy theories yet, what’s wrong with you people?

3Jane 11:57 am 27 Oct 10

Love it! In Adelaide it cost me 10c for a plastic bag recently, or 15c for a nice big sturdy one from the supermarket. At other places, shops would supply a paper bag instead.

I find cotton or calico bags really convenient, as you can just throw them in the wash when they get greasy or dirty. My local Salvo’s is currently selling them for 20c each. True, you can’t use them for bin liners, but between recycling and composting, my family only needs a couple of bin liners a week.