The Liberals’ Jeremy Hanson is taking a poke at administration at the Alexander Machonochie Centre in the wake of a methadone overdose:
“In August, a prisoner was not properly supervised when taking methadone, and as a result, was able to stockpile the drug in a communal juice container,” Mr Hanson said.
“A second prisoner was then given a drink from this container after suffering an epileptic fit, and inadvertently overdosed on the methadone.
“This is an extremely saddening incident which could have been avoided.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“Thankfully, the inmate received immediate medical care and survived, but how the issue occurred in the first place is very worrying.
Mr Hanson would like an investigation and asks if this mob can run a needle exchange.