Exciting developments today from the wild world of tourism bureaucracy!
Government support for tourism, it should always be noted, being money spent on hotel owners.
Andrew Barr is getting us going by announcing the ACT’s 2020 Tourism Strategy:
The ACT’s 2020 Tourism Strategy aligns with a national 2020 framework which aims to double overnight visitor expenditure in Australia from $70 billion in 2010 to $140 billion in 2020.
Some of the areas the ACT Government will focus on include:
• Access initiatives including securing direct international flight services and new low cost domestic carriers
• Investment in destination marketing activities that drive visitation from domestic and international target markets
• Growing the digital capability of the industry
• Experience development to complement investment in new product
• Creating the right business environment by encouraging investment and reducing regulatory burdens.
I particularly like: “Growing the digital capability of the industry”.
Why build your own website when you can get the government to do it for you?