A traffic rant from Stephen

johnboy 17 May 2013 54

cycle paths

This just in…

It’s about time we lobby the ACT Government to widen our bike paths!! How can we be expected to fit our cars in these piddling ½ sized lanes? In peak times there is an obvious need for the average motorist to bypass the law abiding losers waiting patiently for a variety of reasons, but mostly because waiting whole minutes for traffic to move in a number of locations can make you very late for the first coffee break of the morning. Let’s not get into the buses on Northbourne Avenue… what were they thinking? Only the left hand side of a bus can squeeze into the average bicycle lane, and that’s assuming the bus driver decides to risk approaching the curb to within chrome-scratching range.

Some smart-arse may suggest leaving for work earlier, but the traffic flows well first thing in the morning and you end up getting to work too soon – and are forced to take extended coffee breaks or longer lunches to keep your hours to the mandated 7 hrs 21 mins per day. Going home is just as bad. Some of us need to pick up our rug-rats from their holding cells before 5:45 PM or we get charged $50 OR MORE for being late.

For god’s sake, we’re supposed to be a smart city, if the Thais can fit 4 lines of traffic on a 2 lane road in Bangkok during peak hour, surely we can widen our bike lanes to allow better traffic flow!

You can see exactly what I am talking about in the attached images (taken over my left shoulder by one of my car-pooling buddies, honest! – who incidentally agrees with me whole heartedly.)

I really see nothing wrong with this plan, the only downside might be the necessity to pull out the wreckage of the occasional recumbent cyclist from under the 4WD.

Steve….

utes and cyclepaths

54 Responses to A traffic rant from Stephen
Aeek 12:59 pm 18 May 13

Mysteryman said :

All this money spent on cycle lanes

Since we’re talking Adelaide Avenue, stuff all. Mostly rebranding the existing shoulder as bike lane. A few signs and a little paint. The work between Kent St and Hopetoun Crt was to stop the rat runners, it was getting dangerous if a driver actually wanted to exit there.

Mysteryman said :

WTF? Do you also feel that your crotch will shrivel should you exit across a green lane behind a cyclist?

Whitepointer 6:38 am 18 May 13

7hrs & 21mins of work a day, you have nothing in the world to complain about my friend!

milkman 4:28 am 18 May 13

magiccar9 said :

Felix the Cat said :

Why would vehicles be driving above the 80km/h speed limit? That’s illegal. I thought it was only cyclists that do illegal things on our roads…

Outside the bubble of the perfect little world people believe in, you’ll notice that traffic flows nicely along Adelaide Av at ~90km/h. Save for the odd ass hat who thinks 70 in the right hand lane (I’m looking at you Volkswagen drivers) people are more than happy to cruise along at that speed – and safely might I add.

+1.

Mysteryman 10:27 pm 17 May 13

CrocodileGandhi said :

Mysteryman said :

I regularly see cyclists riding 2 and 3 abreast, spilling into car lanes where there is a cycle lane right next to them. Clearly they are ok with sharing.

Riding two abreast on any road (cycle lane or not) is legal in the ACT.

It might be legal, but riding so that they take up the cycle lane AND part of a car lane is stupid and likely to end with a cyclist in hospital.

magiccar9 said :

fromthecapital said :

How much real estate do 3 cyclists take up? 🙂

Clearly more width than the cycle lane on Adelaide Av. So many times I’ve had to slow down and swerve around them because they need to cycle along and have a lovely old chat next to each other. Never mind the fact that they are in the left-hand car lane with vehicles moving at/or above 80km/h.

Exactly. All this money spent on cycle lanes and many cyclists still insist on taking up more space. Just continue driving in your lane and pass them close enough to make them think twice about where they are positioned.

tommy 9:40 pm 17 May 13

tommy said :

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

There’s also those who would rather not queue up on Anzac Pde to turn left onto Limestone Avenue, so they use the right lane and do an extra circuit around the roundabout.

That seems like effective lateral thinking to me. No road rules are being broken and there’s nothing from stopping any other road users from following suit. What’s the problem?

I believe they are actually breaking a road rule – when entering a roundabout from a multilane road, “If the driver is to leave the roundabout less than halfway around it, the driver must enter the roundabout from the left marked lane”.

If you read the full road rules it actually says if you leave the roundabout more than halfway around you have to be in the right lane. Which is what the loop the loop drivers are doing.

However, if those guys annoy you – I’ve got some great dash cam footage of a driver just giving up queuing altogether to get onto Limestone Avenue and leaving the road to drive through the trees into Reid… I’ll upload it tonight.

Here’s the video: http://youtu.be/gos5hR4gHIg

At 0:03 a car in the distance on the left hand side of the screen can be seen leaving the road to avoid the Limestone Avenue queue to drive thru the trees to Reid…

magiccar9 8:50 pm 17 May 13

Felix the Cat said :

KB1971 7:31 pm 17 May 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

tuco said :

Mysteryman said :

Well that didn’t take long. 45 minutes – not quite your PB, but good enough to get you through to the playoff rounds.

But Tuko didn’t pipe up first? How can he be the nazi?
Are bicycle riders the nazis of riotact?

*as a riotact discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving bicycles or bike riders approaches.*

Gross.

tommy 5:30 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

Holden Caulfield 5:04 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

That would just be common sense* but as has been pointed out this is not the case in this instance being discussed at the AWM roundabout. So, I ask again, what’s the problem?

*The roundabout at Monaro Hwy and Morshead drive does allow turning left from the right hand lane: http://goo.gl/maps/2GKPK

Keijidosha 4:44 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

These drivers complete a full loop of the roundabout before exiting, which negates that rule.

qbngeek 4:38 pm 17 May 13

simplechick said :

Or you sit there holding up traffic because 20 idots doing the same thing wont let you into the lane because you are doing the right thing. Go figure!

End Rant!

Seems to me that you need make sure you have insurance and then just drive into the slip lane. You have the right of way since you are not breaking the law. I have been in this situation once and he didn’t want to take it any further after I pointed out that I had no damage (thanks towbar) and he had a hole in his bumper, however he was driving up the bike lane illegally.

dpm 4:24 pm 17 May 13

caf said :

While I think it’s dodgy too, technically they wouldn’t be breaking the rule as they are not *leaving* the roundabout less than half way around it – they’re doing a full lap of the roundabout before leaving it! 🙂

Felix the Cat 4:23 pm 17 May 13

magiccar9 said :

fromthecapital said :

How much real estate do 3 cyclists take up? 🙂

fromthecapital 4:17 pm 17 May 13

magiccar9 said :

fromthecapital said :

How much real estate do 3 cyclists take up? 🙂

So many times?

Being extremely familiar with Adelaide ave I would like to suggest that you may be being less than honest.

ryza 4:09 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

But I am not leaving the roundabout less than halfway around it.. I am going around the whole darned thing, looking (feeling) like an idiot the whole time.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 3:53 pm 17 May 13

tuco said :

Mysteryman said :

Are bicycle riders the nazis of riotact?

Gross.

CrocodileGandhi 3:26 pm 17 May 13

Mysteryman said :

Riding two abreast on any road (cycle lane or not) is legal in the ACT.

HiddenDragon 3:21 pm 17 May 13

Mysteryman said :

There should be a law against that, unless they are holding hands and singing The Happy Wanderer, or some other suitably jolly, outdoorsy kind of song.

ryza 3:21 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

Good, because I do that every afternoon on the way home. In fact my movements actually help those in the queue because cars coming from Fyshwick have to give way to me thus giving the queue a chance!

Those lanes should both be left turns anyway, zero reason why they are not.

caf 3:15 pm 17 May 13

Holden Caulfield said :

caf said :

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.