Community

Quality childcare in a
welcoming & supportive environment

Abortion hating doctors to flee Calvary?

By johnboy 27 April 2009 43

Fundamentally the current arrangements at Calvary Hospital are insane. The ACT taxpayer should not be building an expanded hospital which has to be governed by the religious teaching of any one faith.

So having resolved the question as to whether the Government should be buying Calvary Hospital in the affirmative, everything else is detail.

But that hasn’t stopped a Catholic tide of PR ferreting raising all manner of “problems” beyond the wit of man to solve. I imagine the Catholics of Canberra have quite enjoyed being able to impose their views on the community so far, but all things come to an end.

The latest to get a run in the Canberra Times is the terrible fear that the obstetricians will all flee in terror and revulsion should abortions be performed anywhere in their vicinity.

Boohoo. Who wants to bet that:

a) It will be a very small number who go through with it and resign?
b) We won’t be able to hire more who otherwise might prefer to practice real medicine and not the sawn down Catholic variety?

What’s Your opinion?

43 Responses to
Abortion hating doctors to flee Calvary?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
I-filed 2:28 pm 28 Apr 09

No-one is too concerned about doctors who do not wish to perform abortions themselves. The worry is doctors who attempt to extort, or dictate their “ethics” regardless of the ethical, moral and policy stance of the government, and the wishes of the people.

monomania 1:45 pm 28 Apr 09

deezagood said :

Whilst I agree that some anti-abortionists are indeed religious zealots, there are also a number who don’t support voluntary abortion on ethical (not religious) grounds. Accordingly, I don’t think it is fair to just presume that an OB who won’t perform an abortion ‘believes in a magical sky God’ etc.

Some would even suggest that it is possible for people to believe in and follow their religious beliefs without being zealots and also to be ethical.

It is also possible to believe that the majority of Christians also   really   believe in a God. As well as those belonging to most other religions which means Jim Jones, it is quite probable that your next medical procedure will be carried out by someone you deride.

Jim Jones said :

Best stick to reading goats entrails and the like.

Well Jim will be alright if it involves his bowel.

justbands 12:48 pm 28 Apr 09

> Calvary is a good hospital.

I’ve had two experiences at Calvary hospital as a patient:

The first time was as after being badly knocked out/concussed playing football to the point that I had to be carried into the hospital. They tried to refuse me care (apparently, I was out of it obviously) on the grounds that they were “sick of having their hospital cluttered up by football players, it’s their own fault for playing violent sport!”. How caring!

Second visit was after a rather nasty accident to my finger. Whilst they were happy to try to help me this time, they were unable. Their exact words after a brief examination were “That’s really bad, you’re going to have to go to a real hospital”. So, off to Woden/Canberra hospital for some microsurgery & all was fine. I should point out that my brother had the same experience when he had a suspected heart attack last year….”straight to Woden!” they told him.

By contrast, I’ve had nothing but first class care at Woden/Canberra hospital….each & every time. Myself, my wife, our son, others in my family….excellent health care, every time.

I welcome ACT Gov ownership.

Jim Jones 12:28 pm 28 Apr 09

chewy14 said :

What would you think of two lesbians having a baby then?

Are they hot?

deezagood 12:21 pm 28 Apr 09

chewy14 11:51 am 28 Apr 09

Jim Jones said :

For that matter, I can’t imagine that it’s a good idea having someone who believes that a virgin can give birth to be in charge of *anything* pregnancy related.

Best stick to reading goats entrails and the like.

Haven’t heard of IVF then Jim?
What would you think of two lesbians having a baby then?

Jim Jones 11:31 am 28 Apr 09

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

To be honest, I don’t think I’d want someone who really believes in a magical sky god to be performing complex medical procedures anyway.

Yeah, i’d much rather have a person with little regard for human life cutting me open.

Best stick to reading goats entrails and the like.

ant 11:19 am 28 Apr 09

Given the oft-noted nexus between those in favour of forced birth also being in favour of the death penalty, the regard for human life claim is tenuous.

chewy14 11:11 am 28 Apr 09

Jim Jones said :

Jim Jones 10:40 am 28 Apr 09

deezagood 8:03 am 28 Apr 09

Interesting – left out the ‘s’

deezagood 8:02 am 28 Apr 09

I honestly did not know that – thanks Iggle Piggle. I would hope that if a procedure is medically necesary, then the vast majority of doctors would step up? Intereting term that ‘ social termination’ ….

Igglepiggle 7:36 am 28 Apr 09

Please be aware that terminations of pregnancy in the public sector are for serious fetal anomaly or threat to maternal health or wellbeing. Social terminations are entirely conducted in private clinics.

deezagood 7:43 pm 27 Apr 09

gun street girl said :

They are humans, not automatons. As such, if they lack the sufficient objectivity required in order to deliver professional care, they are ethically required to pass on service. I have strong objections to doctors who refuse to refer patients on (I see this as obstructive, unprofessional, intrusive and “preachy”, as you say), but I have no objections to doctors refusing to participate in certain services based on their own beliefs.

Absolutely – I know plenty of doctors who refuse to circumcise baby boys because they don’t believe that this is right, and I accept that standpoint. I also feel that doctors shouldn’t be forced to perform procedures that they aren’t comfortable with from a medical or ethical standpoint. As long as they can refer the patient on – then no problemo. If some OBs believe that aborting a healthy fetus growing in a healthy mother is tantamount to murder, then why should they be forced to commit that act?

gun street girl 7:29 pm 27 Apr 09

MrPC 7:11 pm 27 Apr 09

I don’t feel that medical practitioners should have the right to force their beliefs onto their patients. Either they are professionals or they are preachers. Take your pick.

Regrettably this won’t change and they will still be able to refuse after the takeover. Fire them quick smart and tell them to take a lower paying job elsewhere, or move overseas to a religious dictatorship somewhere and practice there.

vg 6:11 pm 27 Apr 09

What an objective tagline for this story

Igglepiggle 5:46 pm 27 Apr 09

monomania said :

I-filed said :

As long as the services are available at another hospital I see no problem with having a place for these people to work without having their consciences being bent to the will of the majority. And Iggle, there might be more than you think.

I am well aware that there is a diversity of opinion amongst the medical profession, as there is in the wider community. However, many of these people choose to practice in another branch of health care where their personal beliefs are less influenced/challenged by their daily work. Advocacy and belief in the rights of women runs strongly amongst the O&G practitioners even when the choices those women make are not the same as their own. And as GSG stated, this issue is about far more than just termination of pregnancy. The inability to discuss post-natal contraception to women prior to discharge from hospital after having a baby for instance- a standard part of post-natal care… and so many other issues.

sepi 5:34 pm 27 Apr 09

The tubal ligation issue is one that is quite relevant. Currently you can’t have one done in a private hospital in Canberra, as they are both run by LCM. This also means you cna’t have one done as part of a caesarian.

And not being able to get emergency contraception in the case of sexual assault – well – I am speechless.

gun street girl 5:21 pm 27 Apr 09

shiny flu said :

Whilst I am pro-abortion and generally believe that everyone else believing in religion makes as much sense as believing everything you read, abortions aren’t a thing where an immediate operation is required (hence the ability to head to Woden).

It’s not just abortions we’re talking about – the umbrella issues include many pertaining to family planning and fertility: hence, access to emergency contraception (even in cases of sexual assault), assisted fertility, including IVF, tubal ligation, D&C, elective hysterectomy and vasectomy are all casemixes restricted under the rules of the LCM.

Apologies, all, by the way, for continuously butting into this thread!