Business

We mean business
Contact us today to get results

ACT Govt issues warning about a dodgy tradesman

jennybel75 9 January 2008 55

Just found this report on Yahoo news about Simon Corbell making a public statement to people to avoid using this fencing business (Premier Fencing) run by a Mr Wayne Kelly. A fairly unusual step for the govt to take, although I do seem to recall a similar warning about another tradie a couple of years ago.

55 Responses to ACT Govt issues warning about a dodgy tradesman
ant ant 9:54 pm 12 Jan 08

It’s a worry that policing is become a “by the numbers” excercise. It’s a shame. although from what I’ve observed in Canberra, it doesn’t come as a surprise. Lunatics behaving like psycopaths on the roads, and they get away with it…. unless they go a few KMs too fast, of course!

Proud Local Proud Local 7:42 pm 12 Jan 08

Hey don’t I know it! I am actually “proud” of my lousy arrest statistics. Call me old fashioned but I don’t think pure arrests give an accurate figure in policing. I could go out and find someone to arrest most shifts for relatively minor offensives, drunk in public being the most obvious one and look great in management but in reality I would not be “cleaning up the streets”, just looking for trouble.

It can be frustrating working in a culture where someone that has high arrest statistics is deemed to be doing a better job then someone that does not. I’m more inclined to make sure rowdy drunks, people peeing in public or people involved in minor fights jump in a taxi and go home for the evening rather then spending the night in the City Watch House.

Although for serious violent offenses I give no quarter…

Mælinar Mælinar 1:56 pm 11 Jan 08

Derek’s don’t run !

Thumper Thumper 1:43 pm 11 Jan 08

Yeah, they stole my ideas..

or was that my brain…

S4anta S4anta 12:57 pm 11 Jan 08

shouldnt that read no-idea generation Mael?

Mælinar Mælinar 11:25 am 11 Jan 08

Thumper is from the stolen-beer generation.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 10:38 am 11 Jan 08

But Thumper, kids have rights these days – and don’t the little tossers know it too!

Thumper Thumper 10:19 am 11 Jan 08

When I was a young bloke in country Victoria the coppers used to catch us drinking, underage of course. They would simply take our beer or goon, threaten to kick us up the arse, and tell us to go home.

All very simple. We went home, they carried on doing whatever they had to do.

good system.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:17 am 11 Jan 08

Agreed, the easiest way to look good to a manager interested only in on-paper arrest stats would be to just arrest everybody (Loitering with intent?) for small crimes and then let someone else deal with them.

But something tells me there’s more to community policing than just arresting people and completing paperwork.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 10:09 am 11 Jan 08

The problem is Maelinar, the statistics are the easiest way for them to assess how their officers are ‘combating crime’. They never seem to look at how much cops have prevented crime, i.e. mediating arguments before they turn into fights. Their mere presence on our roads prevents a hell of a lot of crime – how are they ever going to make that into a statistic?

The best cop I ever knew worked in Captain’s Flat. Sure he turned a blind eye to certain things, but come a domestic or a drunken tussle or some other dispute – he’d solve the problem quick-smart, mostly because he knew almost everybody, knew their backgrounds and knew places they could stay to cool a domestic dispute. I’m not sure what his arrest record was like, but I’m sure it wasn’t very high.

The best way to assess how good an officer is, in my opinion, is by their professionalism and integrity alone, not by how many people they bring in.

Mælinar Mælinar 9:23 am 11 Jan 08

@Proud Local – if your management are looking at your arrest statistics to see if you look good, then it is them who are incompetent.

A good copper does not necessarily have to make any arrests, in order to continue doing a good job.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 9:09 pm 10 Jan 08

We won’t tell if you won’t, Proud.

Proud Local Proud Local 8:37 pm 10 Jan 08

Although in a private moment alone with DMD I would congratulate him. Still, as tempting as these things are to do, we can’t turn a blind eye to violence regardless of the reason. Society would turn to pot.

You guys on here are going to get me into trouble one day I swear….

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 6:45 pm 10 Jan 08

Tell him ‘Yes, we’re selling our house. To ourselves . Privately’ and then punch him in the face.

Sh-t…I think I really have some anti-social problems.

staria staria 5:16 pm 10 Jan 08

I find real estate agents even worse. We were out doing some gardening out the front awhile ago and this guy came up and asked if we were doing it up to sell our house – basically replied no, we were doing it up so it looked nice for ourselves. No probs, he went away. But after that we kept having him just turn up out of the blue to see if we were selling our house, or we’d come home to find his card in our door. Now THAT was a pain in the buttocks.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 9:36 am 10 Jan 08

“YES! I had presumably the same guy come up and ask me where my parents were (I’m 23 years old) when I asked what he wanted he got all nark and started swearing.”

He was probably a bit edgy because he was overdue his next shot of heroin.

I’d like to know whatever happened to the washing machine/fridge ‘repairman’, who used to claim he was an authorised repair tech for all major brands and who was constantly in trouble with fair trading? He’s probably out there still in business, because the ACT seems to be run by pussies!

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 9:25 am 10 Jan 08

I do so like it when Proud Local drops by and gives insight into local policing. 🙂

Desmo_V twin Desmo_V twin 9:14 am 10 Jan 08

Does anyone know if this Wayne Kelly has a somewhat pommy accent?

kevn kevn 9:39 pm 09 Jan 08

Does anyone get pissed off with the door to door street-number painters?

Thumper Thumper 8:52 pm 09 Jan 08

Let the f*kers paint it then point out that you actually didn’t say yes.

oh, that is so much fun….

Like wasting telemarketers time by asking them dumb questions…

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.