ACTION fare increase – from 1 July 2010

ML-585 9 June 2010 47

ACTION have today released details of their fare increases to take effect from 1 July 2010. (http://www.action.act.gov.au/new_fares.html).

Last year’s increase took many by surprise (http://the-riotact.com/?p=12749), despite it being announced in the ACT Budget. This year there was no mention in the Budget and, so far, no media release from the ACT Government. So will the fare increase still come as a complete surprise on 1 July? More than likely.

The new fares are as follows:

Full fare (Adult )

• Monthly $46.25

Primary/Secondary School Student

• Faresaver 10 $9.50
  • School Term $62.20

47 Responses to ACTION fare increase – from 1 July 2010
Genie Genie 4:10 pm 18 Jun 10

Maybe Canberra needs zones? (Cue rotten vegetables being thrown at me for raising something which exists in other cities)…

NoooOOO Canberra does not need zones.

I remember years ago when everything was in 3 different zones and it was a NIGHTMARE ! Canberra is not big enough to have zoning.

Ryoma Ryoma 3:23 pm 18 Jun 10

Sorry, line above about Mrs Ryoma should read “mood”, not moo, as I’ve never actually seen a cow snarl. Moo may still be appropriate, though 🙂

Ryoma Ryoma 3:22 pm 18 Jun 10

Good to see this pop up, as I’m in the doghouse today after having a fight with my wife over this very topic.

We bought a car from a friend around a week ago, and I work out at Belco, live inner city. I have enjoyed being warm in the car, and listening to the radio, but have not enjoyed trying to find a carpark at the other end, and then paying for it (I can park for free if I arrive at work before about 7.30am, but I’m not much of an early riser :)), not to mention the fact that I usually have to walk further to my work from a carpark than I did when I caught the bus.
Also on the down side, I had to pay attention to traffic before my brain was truly on, and did not have the chance to get into a book I’ve been enjoying on the bus….

Anyhow, yesterday morn I was short of coins and asked Mrs Ryoma for some small change. “Why did you not tell me you had to pay for parking?” she snarled (this moo brought on by a rather large mobile phone bill a few days earlier). Not wanting a fight to begin the day with, I tried to placate her, and she handed over the dosh.

Then I learnt about the MyCard system. As mentioned above, maybe one answer is to buy as many empty/blank monthly tickets as I can just before the price rise (although I’m sure they have thought about this, and that there will be a cut-off date in place, in which case the remaining tickets become worthless.

My compromise last night was to buy the Faresaver 10 tickets: still much better value than buying single and daily tickets. This allows me flexibility, and also ensures that the car (rather like a puppy needing walkies) gets its battery charged some days. I get to work on time, and am spending less than I would if I ran the car all week and paid for parking all the time.

Did I get a thoughtful reaction to this? A “thankyou for thinking this through, and making a decision which looks beyond just the financial side of things?” I can assure you I did not, and the cold war continues.

On the plus side, there’s been no nagging from her on any topic for hours now 🙂

Blingerific, I agree with you that running a car is probably still dearer, even if I had free parking (and I might take this option). I think that the faster the bus is (like the express services) and the further you lie from work, the better value it represents.

LurkerGal LurkerGal 3:05 pm 18 Jun 10

I’ve been catching the bus for the last 2 weeks. I have paid once. Every other time the driver has pointed to the broken ticket machine (sometimes the space where it would be, as it’s gone) and said “broken again, it’s free today”.

James-T-Kirk James-T-Kirk 2:53 pm 18 Jun 10

When I was a youngster, the tickets were paper….. They don’t have anything printed on them saying that they are not valid…..

Should I start using the last book?

ML-585 ML-585 2:41 pm 18 Jun 10

Genie said :

ANYWAY ! Does anyone know if ACTION will honour old bus passes ?? I mean, say I have a 10 ride ticket purchased on the current prices and as of 1st July I still have rides left is my ticket still valid ?

To answer your question with a question: do you think that ACTION’s ticketing equipment knows how much you paid for your ticket?

To answer with an answer: yes. If you want to save yourself a few dollars (and only a few), go out and buy as many pre-paid tickets as you can afford to beat the price rise.

BigDave BigDave 12:50 pm 18 Jun 10

JessP, why don’t you try catching the 749 which goes from Belconnen straight to Woden? That way you won’t have to stop at CISAC, UC, Radford, Calvary, ANU, the city (for up to 5 minutes) and then down to Woden interchange and spend more than an hour on the bus.

Delgio Delgio 10:17 am 18 Jun 10

haha it is cheaper to drive to work in Woden than take the bus!!

JessP JessP 2:31 pm 17 Jun 10

I have to say I would love to catch a bus to work each day but I live in Belconnen and work in Woden.

The narks will say – thats not far but after you catch the local bus from near home (which is at least a 3 series going through to Tuggers) and navigate to Belconnen interchanges…all bloody 3 of them…..then stop at CISAC, UC, Radford, Calvary, ANU, the city (for up to 5 minutes) and then down to Woden interchange you can spend more than an hour on the bus.

And I can drive here in 30-ish minutes (I leave early in the morning). OK I have to pay for parking but my time is valuable!! Hapily caught the bus when I worked in Civic but for Woden….errr NO.

Genie Genie 10:14 am 17 Jun 10

Skidbladnir said :

Swan said :

Action Buses: The worst public transport in the world.

Hilarious.
I just got back from Laos, I disagree.

Me: “Maybe my language skills aren’t up to scratch, but did you just say this 100km trip will take eight hours by public bus?”
Booking Agent: “Yes, your other options are the tourist bus which will cost $6 more and only take seven hours (the seats are leather and have more padding), or the one most locals use, which is $2 cheaper but takes ten hours (bench seats and no air conditioning).”

Haha I too took that bus… Paid the extra few dollars, then promptly got on the wrong damn bus. So much fun sitting next to guys with machine guns for 8 hours all because the useless males you were with jumped on the first bus they saw.

ANYWAY ! Does anyone know if ACTION will honour old bus passes ?? I mean say I have a 10 ride ticket purchased on the current prices and as of 1st July I still have rides left is my ticket still valid ?

cleo cleo 11:51 pm 11 Jun 10

Blingerific

Ok smart arse, what I should have said was, that I don’t travel by bus locally, but on the night I used public transport as it was cheaper than catching a taxi home as my car was parked at home.

And your point is? Are you a professor? Are you always so pedantic?

Rosencrantz Rosencrantz 1:21 pm 11 Jun 10

I’m in a bit of a bus dilemma at the moment, on this note.

Currently work in Civic and live in Tuggeranong. Xpresso bus service gets me to Civic in about an hour, door to door (sometimes 1h15m in morning traffic). $24.50 a week at current prices, no worries, much cheaper than running a car and takes only slightly longer once you factor walking from the carpark to the office etc (I’ve timed it many times).

But I’m about to take up a job in Woden. Closer to home, you say, you beaut. Except without the express bus, it still takes….about an hour door to door. I’ve timed the same trip by car as being about 20 minutes when there’s not much traffic, and 30 at worst; and parking is a lot cheaper in Woden.

Part of me wants to keep doing the environmentally friendly bus thing…the other half of me would like an extra hour a day to spend at home with my wife and two kids. What to do?

chewy14 chewy14 9:52 am 11 Jun 10

Goddamn italics.
If you live and work in major centres (easy straight trips) then the bus is far cheaper and usually just as easy.
When you don’t however, the bus can be more expensive if you value your time at any sort of decent rate.
As for the actual increase, meh I don’t think the extra 70c for a Faresaver 10 is going to send anyone to the soup kitchen.

chewy14 chewy14 9:44 am 11 Jun 10

Blingerific said :

paservank
Why would anyone want to catch the bus when for the same price they can drive whenever and wherever they want instead of waiting for an hour in the cold?!?!

Ok, maybe my maths isn’t the greatest but work with me here. My weekly bus fare is $27, two trips a day, one from work, one to work, occasionally I’ll combine that with the bus direct from the city to home if the weather is particularly crappy. To drive the same distance each week costs me about $50 in petrol and wear and tear on the car ($200 plus a tyre, oil, filters, pollution (ref Quantum last night) waste of resources we don’t have etc).

Now, if the internet, twelve years of schooling, 19 years working in aviation, a trade, most of a post-grad degree and 37 years of life are correct; Isn’t driving to and from work roughly twice as expensive as the bus? AND by driving I don’t get an hours exercise (30 minutes walk each way for the direct bus). As Woody says, harden the fugg up! And learn to count.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 9:25 am 11 Jun 10

really stings anyone who is new to the buses. Not a way to increase patronage I would have thought.

“How much?”
“$4.”
“My, that’s steep.”
“It’s much cheaper if you buy a Faresaver ticket.”
“Thanks, I’ll do that!”

“I think I’ll start catching the bus. I wonder if there’s a website for ACTION? I wonder if it has ticket prices? I wonder if I’ll be smart enough to work out which ticket option is cheaper? I worry that I’m one of the apparently brain-dead sloths that constitute most of Canberra’s population, according to sepi. You know, the one’s who think 20c ‘really stings’. I’m amazed I find my way out of the shower without drowning.”

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 8:33 am 11 Jun 10

Swan said :

Action Buses: The worst public transport in the world.

Hilarious.
I just got back from Laos, I disagree.

Beau Locks Beau Locks 9:06 pm 10 Jun 10

paservank said :

I think the problem is not so much the small price increase, but rather the large absolute price!

Haven’t ACTION heard the old saying, “good, cheap, fast – pick any two”? Hell, they don’t even have ONE of those!!!

+1 Paservank

The muppets at the council couldn’t organise their way out of a wet paper bag, let alone act strategically. I love Canberra, but sometimes the way things are done here are so embarrassing.

sepi sepi 9:03 pm 10 Jun 10

I dunno – costwise, my very short trip to work is probably genuinely cheaper in my small car. Certainly my trip to the shops in the next suburb would be cheaper in the car. 4.00 to get on a bus for 5 minutes to go down the road to grab some milk is ridiculous.

cranky cranky 6:57 pm 10 Jun 10

Hey Swan,

No, there are worse.

Try the Iranian border to Herat, Afghanistan Mercedes. A goat with its bum between my legs, the driver and most passengers on some drug, no windows, and I have no idea how many on the roof.

Good fun.

Blingerific Blingerific 6:29 pm 10 Jun 10

paservank

Swan
Action Buses: The worst public transport in the world.
Not caught buses in India, Nepal, or the US huh? I have and Action = living.