AFL match goes meat pie free for first time since 1897

Damien Haas 9 March 2013 29

Tonight I attended the AFL pre-season NAB Cup match at Manuka Oval, to see Essendon and Greater Western Sydney trial their latest crop of youngsters and watch old stagers like Dustin Fletcher, Brendon Goddard and Jobe Watson run around the paddock. Manuka Oval was in superb condition, and the new lights are lovely. The match was a little one-sided, but entertaining. I didn’t even mind that they didn’t open the gates for a 6.10 PM game until 5.30 PM. No, what I found simply incomprehensible was…

No meat pies.

None.

I’ve been attending footy matches since the 70’s and i cannot recall any VFL or AFL ground not having pies on offer. Tonight, I could avail myself of Turkish food or a kebab, or that good old artery hardener the corn dog, but NO MEAT PIES.

Did some genius at Manuka Oval assume the 8000 footy fans would not at least like the choice?

While in the queue for hot dogs (four for 22 bucks…) I heard several people phoning back to their friends ‘There are no meat pies, do you want a kebab, turkish or hot dogs?‘ So i know I am not the only footy fan stunned to see that in 2013 a tradition over a century old can be dispatched by an idiot somewhere in Manuka Ovals management chain with a penchant for kebabs.

For shame Manuka Oval management, for shame…

29 Responses to AFL match goes meat pie free for first time since 1897
AG Canberra 1 9:26 am 09 Mar 13

Fair dinkum…that’s just un-Australian!

dks00k 10:17 am 09 Mar 13

Also, 40 minutes and $36 later for 3 Kebabs and 2 cans of soft drink….

Instant Mash 10:25 am 09 Mar 13

Heresy!

Thumper 10:41 am 09 Mar 13

I don’t like, or use the phrase ‘unaustralian’, however….

switch 10:54 am 09 Mar 13

dks00k said :

Also, 40 minutes and $36 later for 3 Kebabs and 2 cans of soft drink….

Stop moaning. Have you heard about the waiting time at Brodburger?

Jethro 11:23 am 09 Mar 13

Did they limit you to two beer purchases at a time?

I could not believe it at the cricket when it was my turn to buy a round for the group of 4 I was in, I had to line up for 35 minutes and then was told I could only purchase 2 beers.

About an hour later they ran out of beer altogether.

Who the hell is in charge of the catering decisions at Manuka Oval?

Holden Caulfield 11:49 am 09 Mar 13

Meat pies are a well known peptide masking agent.

Who was playing again?

gooterz 12:37 pm 09 Mar 13

Damien why not take advantage of this business opportunity?

As a friend said, there are two types of towns. Ones with fish and chips (meat pies and sausage rolls) and Kanab towns, Canberra moved to the later at the turn of the last century.

Canberra has never been an afl town, no coloured lime milk products have ever been sold in support of AFL in Canberra.

Primal 12:48 pm 09 Mar 13

Vili’s were selling them at all games last year… wonder where they were this time around.

Skidd Marx 1:00 pm 09 Mar 13

Manuka – tryin to be all progressive n shit.

damien haas 1:25 pm 09 Mar 13

No, I didnt stand in the beer line i was with a kid.

8 year olds dude.

bikhet 2:42 pm 09 Mar 13

gooterz said :

And what’s wrong with Kanab? It’s a nice enough town for somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Great scenery in the area though.

resident_weevil 3:36 pm 09 Mar 13

Are you pointing out the price of four hotdogs because they seemed expensive or good value? Seems a pretty good price for a hotdog. Maybe you should consider eating just one hot dog instead of four next time. It will be better for your arteries as well as your wallet… Probably a good thing they didn’t have pies by the sounds…

Instant Mash 5:17 pm 09 Mar 13

resident_weevil said :

Note the child he was with; possibly more.

dks00k 5:45 pm 09 Mar 13

switch said :

dks00k said :

Also, 40 minutes and $36 later for 3 Kebabs and 2 cans of soft drink….

Stop moaning. Have you heard about the waiting time at Brodburger?

I have actually.

Which is why I choose not to go there when its likely to be busy.

I also expect caterers at such an event to have their shit together and be able to churn out a reasonable amount of their product in a reasonable period of time.

BelcoMan 12:27 am 10 Mar 13

For a caterer that has the experience of Canberra Stadium, Parramatta Stadium, EPIC Floriade, and a number of major events, you think they would be able to get the queuing right (assuming that’s what the complaint is?).
As far as the pies go, I believe they were buying pies from Villis but they don’t any longer. I assume they also made the decision that it is better to manufacture food from components (higher margin) then just carry something that is heat and serve (lower margin due to unit purchase rate).

Really if the greatest thing we have to complain about is the availability of pies at a Footy match, we are alright. How was the game?

wildturkeycanoe 7:03 am 10 Mar 13

No parking, no pies, no beer. Doesn’t tempt me in the slightest to watch anything at Manuka oval. I’ll sit in front of the tele and get free parking, all the pies and beer I want at affordable prices AND get to watch replays if I missed something.
I also won’t have to worry about getting wet if it pours, can go to the toilet without waiting in queue for 30 minutes and won’t have my children subject to swearing and being chastised by drunken immature patrons for wearing the wrong team’s colours [This happened once, my 8y.o. at the time was quite hurt by it – the mean bullies].

As for public transport, how about this one.
GWS Giants match Friday 8th March.
Action has free buses leaving Civic every 20minutes from 5:00PM. This equates to 3 buses prior to kickoff. If they have say 4 buses booked for this at 45 people per bus, that is 540 people that will be able to get to the game via public transport. What about the thousands of others? Will they become victims of the ACT Government’s new fund raising program whereby donations are made into little yellow envelopes?
Does anyone use the bus to get these events and how packed are they?
In my situation, I’d have to leave home at 4:00PM, catch two buses to be in Civic by 4:49, then wait for the one to Manuka oval to be there at 5:20. Then into the queue for tickets.

Heavs 8:45 am 10 Mar 13

The gulf between the organisation of the cricket and the AFL was massive. Seriously, it can’t have cost that much to cart in the replay screen for the day could it? You also would have thought that with a game kicking off at 6pm and the vast majority of people coming straight from work there was going to be a high demand for a drink and a feed. And maybe cater accordingly. Hotdogs I looked at seemed like they had been in the window of the van since they cooked them up at the Canberra Show the other week. Just poor all round.

Roundhead89 10:31 am 10 Mar 13

No pies? Not even from longtime VFL/AFL sponsor Four and Twenty whose signage was always on the fence at the grounds? Makes a mockery of the famous 1970s TV ad campaign with the lyrics “I’ve gotta have a Four and Twenty pie before the game. Without a Four and Twenty well it wouldn’t be the same”. Ironic considering no pies at the GWS game.

damien haas 1:57 pm 11 Mar 13

resident_weevil said :

I was with three adults and a child. I thought it best to divide the artery damage by four.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.