AFP goons? tsssk tsssk, Kevin!

I-filed 12 May 2008 49

According to footage on “Insiders” on ABC this morning, Kevin Rudd’s staff are using the AFP as ‘goons’ to keep the press away, and herding them around in a most undemocratic manner. The footage shows an AFP officer threatening to block the Channel 10 camera “all day”. Add to that an account, again on Insiders, of the Rudd Government media minders having the gall to tell media reps (citizens) that they cannot ask questions of members of the public (fellow citizens) at ‘community cabinets’. Sounding chillingly “Left” I must say. Does Rudd also have a cultural understanding of North Korea that we’re seeing glimmerings of?

Then there’s Rudd refusing to be filmed during radio interviews. What the? How do you air interesting parts of a radio interview during the TV news without footage? It would serve Rudd right if all the TV channels ran “CENSORED IMAGE” across those broadcasts.

To top it all off, according to a reliable source, even his ministers are finding Rudd’s sycophantic celebrityism – he blushes and goes all coy in the company of movie stars – cringeworthy.

49 Responses to AFP goons? tsssk tsssk, Kevin!
1 2 3 Next »
Thumper Thumper 3:31 pm 12 May 08

Ah, does anyone see an oxymoron in there?

Mælinar Mælinar 3:22 pm 12 May 08

So Labor worked out that the media are unfriendly to the opposition. The same could be said for the current opposition, who only get airtime when they stuff up.

Fortunately for Brendan Nelson, he still enjoys full-time staffers reporting on his every move, although I think it is for the previous example (stuffing up) rather than any obligiatory mandate by the media to note what he’s saying for relevance.

Labor worked out that after 12 years of bashings by the same tired reporters, they needed to do something different, hence the Rove appearance. By golly-gosh, it worked. Fruitious gamble by the now Prime Minister, Rudd.

I disagree that Labor is shunning the press. I think they are being selective in the press that they are talking to, and with the full merit of 12 years of being crapped on by the very reporters that now want to talk to them.

The question is – how long will it take for the Coalition to work out the same, now they are enjoying the colder side of the political fence.

Thumper Thumper 3:22 pm 12 May 08

you’d have to admit though that some of the Ruddspeak is hilarious.

“Otherwise, my argument would be, harmony is impossible to achieve. Therefore there is, in my argument, on the face of it, a natural complementarity between these two philosophical approaches, and a complementarity that could be developed further in the direction of some form of conceptual synthesis.”

Thumper Thumper 3:20 pm 12 May 08

I too will be interested to see what happens in a year or so.

I think we’ll have a much better idea of the political climate after tomorrow night.

justbands justbands 3:16 pm 12 May 08

Yep…I get that Thumper, and agree. He’s barely had time to warm the seat yet though, I’m reserving judgement until at least this year is out. I like what I’ve seen thus far from him/the new Government….but I’ll happily change my view in 12 months if it’s called for.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 3:15 pm 12 May 08

@Headbonius:
I don’t think anybody here is actually a direct voter in the Electorate of Griffith.

For those that are, hooray for you, and may God have mercy on your soul.
There are probably a whole bunch of people on here who voted for the Ruddlingam indirectly through Kate Lundy & McMullan though.

Thumper Thumper 3:13 pm 12 May 08

That is correct. No-one in Canberra voted for Kevin Rudd.

I think the point Justbands is that people weren’t shy in having a go at Howard all the time, but get precious whenever anyone brings anything up about Rudd. More precisly, Howard is no longer the incumbent. The incumbent is Rudd, therefore he is open to criticism.

justbands justbands 3:06 pm 12 May 08

Idiots or not, I doubt many (if any) RiotACT contributers are in Kevs electorate.

& generally speaking, get over it. The libs have had their go..like it or not, they’re GONE.

Headbonius Headbonius 2:47 pm 12 May 08

Everyone would have seen the Transact ad on TV with the record player sitting on the armchair going “And then I said, and then I said, and then I said………” I would love to see a KRudd record, it would go “When it comes to, When it comes to, When it comes to, Working families, Working Families, When it comes to, When it comes to.

The guy is an idiot. e has as much substance as a whipped blacmange And I’m tipping I could pick which idiots on this florum voted for him. God bless you all.

caf caf 1:48 pm 12 May 08

This is more of the same “media management” bollocks that’s appeared at both State and Federal level over the past 10 or so years. It’s rubbish, and it’s got to stop.

At least they’re letting online media into the budget lockup this year.

Thumper Thumper 1:18 pm 12 May 08

Working Australians with families…. Spin, spin, spin…

Justbands, the Libs may have been a bunch of pricks, but they were accessible pricks. Current ALP policy appears somewhat akin to censorship.

GregW GregW 1:04 pm 12 May 08

It took far too long, but I believe the phrase is about to become ‘Working Australians and their Families’

justbands justbands 11:27 am 12 May 08

I’ve heard the exact opposite many times…that the media are really quite happy to be dealing with the ALP instead of the libs. The ALP ministers are apparently quite easy to get along & deal with, where the lib ones were simply a mob of pricks.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:24 am 12 May 08

Thumper said :

Neanderthalis is correct. Howard wasn’t scared to face the press, even Kerry O’Brien.

Rudd however seems to have trouble talking without a script which is evident when he starts off into his incomprehensible Ruddspeak, which is simply bureaucratic goobledegook.

His reluctance to front any media scrutiny is becoming very evident. I’m wondering how long it will be before the media starts to turn on him? (If they do, of course…)

If he keeps up this reported behaviour they will, in a big, big way.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:23 am 12 May 08

Just remember: Unless you’ve put your newborns\toddlers\schoolage children to work, you’re just ‘working parents’ and not actual working families.

ant ant 10:47 am 12 May 08

I think there’s some murmurings of media turning against him. It’s subtle, but some of the fairfax/ABC media opinionators are apparently tired of this Working Families thing, and what it’s apparently hiding.

In yesterday’s SMH, Alan Ramsey had an article (in the opinion bit) quoting the too-frequent mentions of Working Families, and then quoted Barrie Cassidy on Insiders asking why they were chanting this and what about everyone else… childless couples, singles, pensioners, basically everyone without little kids. This question was asked to Swan, who muffed the reply, but it appears the gloss is wearing off the Rudd gov’t already, and chanting a mantra at people is hastening it. Because there’s the suspicion that by chanting it, they’re trying to put up a smokescreen, using a comforting, motherhood-type statement to deflect potential critical scrutiny.

(And they’re annoying the crap out of everyone it doesn’t refer to, and even some to whom it does).

Thumper Thumper 10:23 am 12 May 08

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 9:46 am 12 May 08

KRudd has great difficulty in facing the hard questions. He refused to appear on Insiders, 7:30 report (although Red Kerry may have humped his leg if he did) or Meet The Press in the lead up to the election. He did however appear on Rove… Goes to show that he is a man who enjoys the limelight and the celebrity status but not the hard questioning that comes with being chief of the umpah lumpahs.

He is the king of spin and sound bite politics, loves a well staged and ordered event where he delivers his lines and walks away. If we did see more of him, we would all come to realise that the cardboard cutout of him dragged into parliament on the first friday sitting has more personality.

Little Johnny might not have been popular in the end, but he never shunned Barry Cassidy, Red Kerry, Laurie Oaks or Paul Bongiorno in favour of a show as frivilous as Rove.

justbands justbands 9:15 am 12 May 08

Yeah…& the previous government never, ever censored or manipulated the media in any way…honest.

Thumper Thumper 9:05 am 12 May 08

Tips from his Chinese mates?

1 2 3 Next »